Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
crankypuss
crankypuss began at the beginning.

Device: none
automatic conversion on web server?

On a web server that has numerous large documents in html form, I'd like to offer the user the option of downloading an appropriate ebook format.

Is this sort of thing allowed under Calibre's licensing?

It's actually a matter of doing the automated conversions on two systems, a Windows system running an apache server for development, and a Linux system running apache for production. I don't need to mess with any DRM or other copy protection.

When it comes to installing things, I'm a total spaz. Would it be better just to stick with letting the user download the html source in a zip file and let him do whatever conversion he wants? Is this something lots of folks are doing, so how to do conversions on a web server is already commonly known?

Thanks for any direction you care to offer.
crankypuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think there is anything that prohibits you from doing it on a web server. In fact I am sure there are others who have done it. It is not a built-in facility of the calibre web server, so offering this facility involves doing your own interfacing to the calibre command level tools.

However a word of caution - a conversion can take a long time. Minutes is not unusual, and hours have been known. This might mean that the mode of working you are envisaging could have problems.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's licensing imposes no restrictions on how you use the product of its conversions. As long as you call calibre as a separate program and dont integrate it directly into your code, you are fine. If you do integrate it, then you have to make your code open source too.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
crankypuss
crankypuss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However a word of caution - a conversion can take a long time. Minutes is not unusual, and hours have been known.
Pardon my saying so, but that's just wrong; if conversions are taking that long then Calibre seems to have some performance issues that need resolving.

I think I'll stick with providing the user with an opportunity to download all the html source in a zip file. I'm parsing it, expanding custom tags, and lots of other things in about a second, then storing the completed file for download when requested. Minutes? No, thank you.
crankypuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
I don't think it is a Calibre issue. It is a computer "horsepower" issue.
I have never had a conversion take more than a few minutes (less than 10).

If your server is doing the conversions before it sends the file, it better have some "cajones" if you know what I mean.

Otherwise, just do the conversion ahead of time and offer several formats. Don't try to do them "on the fly".

Happy happy, joy joy.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypuss View Post
Pardon my saying so, but that's just wrong; if conversions are taking that long then Calibre seems to have some performance issues that need resolving.

I think I'll stick with providing the user with an opportunity to download all the html source in a zip file. I'm parsing it, expanding custom tags, and lots of other things in about a second, then storing the completed file for download when requested. Minutes? No, thank you.
Someone is feeding Calibre a complex (crappy coding) book.

A cleanly coded HUGE book, converts in minutes on a P4.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
MasterCATZ
MasterCATZ began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
is their their going to be any calibre-server webgui auto convert option ?

or is the only way to convert via the PC Calibre GUI ?
MasterCATZ is offline   Reply With Quote