Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Kindle device vs. Kindle app

I was just thinking as I was reading Apple's quarterly results. Amazon sold some 7 or 8 million kindles this past year (or so analysts have guessed). Apple sold 33 million iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads just in the last quarter of the year.

Add in Android phones and tablets, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 million kindle app devices have shipped this year.

How long will it be true that 80% of kindle sales are for books read on a kindle?

I buy my ebooks from Amazon, not Apple, even though I read them on Apple devices. How long will the shear weight of numbers of these multi-function devices outweigh the dedicated-ness of the kindle?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have the Kindle app on my PC, netbook, and iPod touch. Reading on those devices is painful, so I read on a single purpose dedicated eInk device - my Kindle. It's a joy to read on.

YMMV
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I still read Kindle Books on my Kindle but I also read Kindle Books on my Nook Color too :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My wife and kids read books on their iPod Touches. I introduce ebooks to kids at church on THEIR iPod Touches (none of them had even considered ebooks). There are people that have these devices and some of them are going to find reading on them pleasurable, as I did.

Considering the 10 to 1 (at least) margin of kindle app devices to kindles -- it woud appear to me that at SOME point kindle ebook sales will reflect this.

Lee
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iPod touch is too small for me. I need a bigger screen.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Considering the 10 to 1 (at least) margin of kindle app devices to kindles -- it woud appear to me that at SOME point kindle ebook sales will reflect this.
Yep, the smart thing is to get your app on as many devices as possible.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I used K4PC exclusively until I got my Kindle. Now I only use it when I'm doing something else on the computer that I can't get away from. Nothing can compare to the pure joy and relaxation of reading on my K3.

My daughter reads on her iPhone and my son on his iPod touch. I couldn't imagine doing either as the screens are too small for me.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I agree there will be a shift but not for a while.

The problem with you 10-1 analogy us your missing one key data point. Most people who buy a dedicated reader buy them for the sole intent to read, most people who buy a multipurpose device buy them for a multitude of reasons, mostly for surfing, playing games and the occasional reading. Who do you think is going to buy more books?

Last edited by =X=; 01-19-2011 at 03:29 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
My daughter reads on her iPhone and my son on his iPod touch. I couldn't imagine doing either as the screens are too small for me.
Ok, so we have a 2 to 1 in favor of multi-function devices within your own household

Lee
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The problem with you 10-1 analogy us your missing one key data point. Most people who buy a dedicated reader buy them for the sole intent to read, most people who buy a multipurpose device buy them for a multitude of reasons, mostly for surfing, playing games and the occasional reading. Who do you think is going to buy more books?
I didn't miss that. I'm asking when the overwhelming number of mutli-function devices will over come the fact that dedicated readers are bough by people intending to read.

The last time Amazon mentioned this, they said that only 20% of their sales are for books read via their apps. But they've had such a big push to get their apps on all the devices....and they have released commercials that advertise only the kindle books (not the kindle) specifically targeted at people reading on phones/tablets....and given the massive amounts of phones/tablets that are being sold....when will we see that change from 20%

Lee
Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My iPad and Touch replaced my Kindle, but I still give Kindles as gifts. I can read fine on multi-use devices, but I support reading in all its forms.

Most of my e-books come from Amazon, because I think it's likely to stick around and it was smart enough to quickly put out apps on various platforms. I want the freedom to take my e-books with me even if I decide to switch hardware. I don't buy iBooks, because I don't want to be tethered to any one company's hardware.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
iPads and iPhones are very different beasts for reading. I'm guessing that the number of people who read full-time on an iPhone or smartphone is rather small these days.

More importantly, there is apparently a ton of overlap. Considering that the eInk devices are getting dirt cheap, are lighter, work in sunlight, yadda yadda yadda, I expect they'll be around for some time.

I'd say more, but this issue has pretty much been beaten to death over the last year or so....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Ok, so we have a 2 to 1 in favor of multi-function devices within your own household
Well, within my family. My daughter has her own household. Between the three that I mentioned here, I am the only one who buys books and I have them registered to my account to choose from what I have.

My oldest daughter, who also has her own household, owns a Kindle and she buys her own books.

Looking at it from this perspective, devices are even, but only the Kindle owners buy.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I'd say more, but this issue has pretty much been beaten to death over the last year or so....
Well, EVERY, topic has been talked to death around here. However, THIS thread wasn't about "is the iPad better than a Kindle" or "lcd vs. eInk". It's a question about the amount of sales Amazon is getting from folks who read Amazon's books via apps.

No matter what any person here prefers for themselves -- it's clear that Amazon certainly expects to sell ebooks to folks who read them via apps. They've invested a lot of money creating the apps and money on commercials for their apps.

So...how is it going? Of course, none of us know, but that hasn't stopped conversation before. And if the 10 to 1 app to kindle advantage isn't enough to move the needle...what number would be? What of next year when the number becomes 20 to 1, or the year after when it's 50 to 1?

Another interesting question is: would Amazon ever tell us such information?

Lee
Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Looking at it from this perspective, devices are even, but only the Kindle owners buy.
I like your avatar btw.

Lee