Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
jhawkins002
jhawkins002 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (3rd gen)
ePub to mobi margin question

Howdy all!

I have been getting an issue that seems to be pretty common, namely when I convert my epub volumes to mobi I get an excessively large left-margin.

With the help of Sigil and by searching several threads on this forum, I think I have tracked down the issue to changes Calibre makes to the CSS upon conversion; the margin-left spacing is defined across both the parent and child elements that comprise the same paragraph, thus causing the extra padding.

I know Calibre allows for defining custom CSS to be added as part of the conversion process, and I have manually tested and confirmed that by adding the property 'blockquote {margin-left: 0 !important;}' the extra margin spaces are cancelled out, and the issue is fixed. Voila! Problem is, it only works when I manually put in the code using Sigil. When I use Calibre to insert the code, it simply ignores the additional CSS I have defined and never adds it. Am I making a noob mistake somewhere?

I ask because I have quite a number of ePub files I would like to plop on my Kindle, and the idea of cracking open every single one in Sigil seems very... unfortunate Particularly when it seems like Calibre can easily fix this as part of its conversion process.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can provide!
jhawkins002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
jhawkins002
jhawkins002 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (3rd gen)
Fixed!

I just had to change the selector to .calibre4 - so that the CSS entered in Calibre is thus:

Code:
.calibre4 {margin-left: 0 !important;}
Yay!!!
jhawkins002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you open a ticket and attach a sample showing this behavior on conversion, I'll be happy to look at it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Tuffgong4
Tuffgong4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkins002 View Post
Fixed!

I just had to change the selector to .calibre4 - so that the CSS entered in Calibre is thus:

Code:
.calibre4 {margin-left: 0 !important;}
Yay!!!
I'm sorry I'm not good with this stuff...under what tab or option?
Tuffgong4 is offline   Reply With Quote