Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
leodavilgen
leodavilgen began at the beginning.

Device: K2
I have the US 2.5 bin but can't make it work! Please help

A friend just got the 2.5 update. I pulled off the bin from her US Kindle 2. I put it on my kindle and clicked the update under settings, but the update failed. Does anyone know how I can make it work?
leodavilgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leodavilgen View Post
A friend just got the 2.5 update. I pulled off the bin from her US Kindle 2. I put it on my kindle and clicked the update under settings, but the update failed. Does anyone know how I can make it work?
Maybe the file its damaged, it seems that Amazon its damaging the files after the update so even if you recover the "deleted" file, you get a unusable update file.

Post it somewhere and let me test the file.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by leodavilgen View Post
How about posting a copy to Rapidshare or somewhere and posting the link???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
leodavilgen
leodavilgen began at the beginning.

Device: K2
I've tried three times with no success.

Here is the file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/UwMI_SKl...472900057.html
leodavilgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Didn't work for me.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
ehunyadi
ehunyadi began at the beginning.

I tried it on my K2 with 2.3.3 and while it brought up the "update" dialog in settings and restarted/updated, when it came back up, it still said 2.3.3.

Looks like a no-go.
ehunyadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
Didn't work for me.
No joy here either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I didn't touch the kindle after I got the upgrade file other than to get the bin file to share. But what Amazon have done is somehow grab a book you have bought from them and incorporate that into the bin file so you cant share it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

I began the update process (version 2.33, Kindle 2 (U.S.) on my wife's reader but it failed after a few moments. When I checked the root directory afterward the file was gone.

I'm just going to wait until Amazon sends it over the wireless or provides the official download.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Same for me. Went through the process but I'm still at 2.3.3. And the bin file was removed from the Kindle.
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

I can confirm after an analisis of the .bin file that Amazon it's doing something to the update file before erase it, it embeds book files on the "sectors" of the update file.

I can see the following books on this .bin file:

The Blue Air Compressor - Stephen King
I, Robot - Doctorow, Cory
Night Shift - I Know What You Need - Stephen King
Got Fangs - Katie Maxwell
Gossip Girl Book 1 - Cecily Von Ziegesar
The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan

This is something that i have not seen on any other update file, just the k2i update files.. strange (all the bin files recovered for k2i has this kind of protection)

BTW.. leodavilgen your friend has a nice taste on books, tell him to make me a friend on goodreads !! (http://www.goodreads.com/bzImage).

Last edited by bzImage; 05-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Anybody think of creating fake books with these titles and authors and trying the update again?
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
ereadx
ereadx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Actually the key might be if someone has a kindle and its empty and then try to get the update. Someone needs to try that out to obtain the bin file. As right now it is adding information from your collection into the bin file somehow.
ereadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
If a person has the hacks on and gets the download they will have a clean bin file. That is the one you need to get hold of.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
**This Kindle software update will self destruct in 10...9...8...7...6...**
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote