Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #61
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
If I cut my wireless on, how long should I wait before the update occurs automatically?
There is actually nho guarantees there. This update has been very weird.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #62
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I manually downloaded it and had a heck of a time getting my k2 to update. Ended up selecting restart from the menu and the update installed. K2 seems snappier.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #63
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
I've been waiting for the wireless update (due mostly to laziness), with no luck so far. Has any European user received this over the air or should I just go ahead and get that cable out from behind the bed?
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #64
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by myral View Post
I've been waiting for the wireless update (due mostly to laziness), with no luck so far. Has any European user received this over the air or should I just go ahead and get that cable out from behind the bed?
Some Europeans already got the 2.3.4 update. That's only available over the air so far.
2.3.3 you can download from Amazon and manually update. I'd recommend so, seems to improve significantly.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #65
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
Thanks. Will do.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #66
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have the screensaver and font hack on so unless Amazon ever get around to updating their support pages I wont be getting it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #67
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If it doesn't seem slow now, then you possibly don't need 2.3.3. Mine had a noticable slowdown in doing everything, when 2.3.2 went on it. With the hacks, you can remove them and manually apply 2.3.3 and then put the hacks back. But if you aren't slow, you may not care.

2.3.4 might be only for DX models? There is another thread for DX only, and they are discussing the 2.3.4 update. Do any non-DX'ers have 2.3.4?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #68
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Amazon forum a number of K2'ers are reporting they have the 2.3.4 update, and all received wirelessly.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #69
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
According to an Amazon Kindle tech support person, the users who reported differences between 2.3 and 2.3.3 on the K2 Global are hallucinating. The tech said the only difference was a fix for a certain subset of Kindles that had a problem with the ‘back’ button or certain other glitches, and those were the only kindles that got 2.3.3 automatically. He said there are no feature or performance improvements of any kind.
Now, he could certainly be wrong. In fact, I wouldn’t bet against that, but in the event he knows what he’s talking about, could any performance improvement seen by users possibly be the result of a clean up after the upgrade’s restart, like perhaps a refresh of the Kindle’s index?
I can't say for myself because my attempt to manually upgrade from 2.3 to 2.3.3 resulted in a n "Error 0003" which is why I called tech support.
But since our new K2 Global isn't having any problems, I guess I shouldn't mess with it.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
According to an Amazon Kindle tech support person, the users who reported differences between 2.3 and 2.3.3 on the K2 Global are hallucinating. The tech said the only difference was a fix for a certain subset of Kindles that had a problem with the ‘back’ button or certain other glitches, and those were the only kindles that got 2.3.3 automatically. He said there are no feature or performance improvements of any kind. ...
What can I say?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post55.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	48173  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #71
Pushka
Wizard

Why did Amazon release 2.3.4 then if there was no difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #72
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
. Do any non-DX'ers have 2.3.4?
Yes, I got 2.3.4 on my Kindle2i
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Why did Amazon release 2.3.4 then if there was no difference.
IF the tech was correct, then it would be for the same reason: Specific bug fixes applicable to a specific subset of devices only.

I wrote to support again to try to get some details, but after a short email exchange, the best I could get was "no new features have been added."

Performance improvements would be nice, but since we aren't seeing any apparent problems, I should probably give up trying to update and trust that they will push down anything relevant to me.

ApK
Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #74
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I manually installed 2.3.3 on my K2i last night. Then I did a factory reset, and downloaded the same 240 books. I notice less delay when pulling up a book or going back to home. Don't think I am hallucinating, but could be due to the factory reset.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #75
ApK

By the way, 'hallucinating' was intended to be a humorous paraphrase. No offense intended. Truthfully, I have no idea what anyone may or may not be inhaling and wouldn't tell you if I did. . . .
In any case, I tried to manually update once more and got the same error. I'm really going to try to not let it bother me...("just let it go...It's only a minor point revision...just let it go....")

Last edited by ApK; 03-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.