Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Rise of the E-Reader - BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_29_12_2009/

This was on BBC Radio 4 yesterday (I think iPlayer is UK only, sorry!), I haven't listened to it all yet. Anybody else listened to it?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, but I will do! Thanks for the tip.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Well I enjoyed it. One bit that I found funny was 'sand and salad cream', I personally have never found any such products in my paper books We need more authors like Hillary Mantel for one.

Last edited by seagull; 12-30-2009 at 07:16 AM.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I think iPlayer is UK only, sorry!
IPlayer TV is UK only. The radio streams are global.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I listened to it in The Netherlands.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
captobie
captobie began at the beginning.

Device: PDA (Mobipocket, eReader), nook (it's here!)
BBC World Service ran it the other day. Caught it on the air, good story.
captobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm listening now while I browse MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
For what it's worth - the streams are *not* global; there are issues to do with transmission rights, particularly for sports or music shows which prevent their distribution outside the UK. That said, *most* radio is distributed globally - though a non-UK user doesn't get *quite* the same stream as the UK listener in some cases. Very little TV is available outside the UK.

(I spent a year working behind the scenes on the iplayer launch last year).
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Available until: 12:00am Thursday 1st January 2099
Damn these restrictive practices! What if my great-great-grandkids want to hear it? Think about the children!
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google "get_iplayer" - it's a tool which allows you to permanently save iPlayer stuff.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Google "get_iplayer" - it's a tool which allows you to permanently save iPlayer stuff.
Thanks for that, Harry. I'll give it a go.

I generally use Total Recorder (from www.HighCriteria.com) to "tape" an iPlayer stream so that I can listen to it later when I don't have an Internet connection (for example, from my iPod when I'm on the train). From what I can see of Get_Iplayer, it could be a bit easier to use.

Last edited by Mike L; 12-31-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's got a zillion options, but it does work very well indeed. I use it to save stuff for my iPod, too. Its benefit is that it's not "real time" - it just downloads the whole thing and converts it to MP3.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can somebody give a small recap? I'm behind an internet connection that doesn't like streams in any form...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Another option for Mac users is iPlayer Downloader. Google it.

Also, for Usenet users, there are a couple of newsgroups that carry BBC radio broadcasts
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote