Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
lilpretender
Enthusiast
lilpretender began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Looking for another reader question and PRS-600 question

I think I saw something on here about a reader that will allow you to put html on it. What is the name of the reader? And will it allow you to put it into collections like the PRS-700 and the rest of the PRS readers?

My question for the PRS-600 is why call it the PRS-600 when there is a PRS-700? Why not PRS-800? Or something higher?
lilpretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
calibre (software) will convert HTML for you to any format you like. I wouldn't purchase based on this.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
calibre (software) will convert HTML for you to any format you like. I wouldn't purchase based on this.
Why not? I did when I got my PRS-500 (now a PRS-505).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on HTML format? Or format in general? The Sony hardware reads lots of formats, which is a good things and one of the reasons I bought one. One can convert big web sites to a single document with curl or wget and then calibre. I can't see how reading HTML well as loose files is particularly useful, but maybe people have lots of random single-page things to read.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
One can convert big web sites to a single document with curl or wget and then calibre. I can't see how reading HTML well as loose files is particularly useful, but maybe people have lots of random single-page things to read.
Is the method described somewhere ? Does it create some table content, or hyperlinks between pages ? I see some interest for websites such as http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ for example.
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
lilpretender
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post

I know I have it, but it's giving me a hard time in converting some websites to LRF. It won't convert them and I get an error when it says it can't. I got a PDF software, so that I can convert html to PDF and put all the files into one PDF, but now some of the " " are giving me strange symbols. I don't know what to do now except maybe get a reader that will allow you to put html pages on it.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
llreader
Mesmerist

sebastienbillard: I can't remember if I used curl or wget, but I am pretty sure it was wget (an older program). I did this from the Mac - wget isn't included in Windows, but you can get it a number of ways (all of which are a bit complicated). Then I imported the top index page of the local website into calibre, and it created a zip file for the whole website, which I then converted to ePUB. It isn't great, but it works. I might not be remembering the details correctly. Try it and let me know if you run into problems.

lilpretender: Hmm. Can your reader handle something other than LRF? BBeB maybe, or RTF? I am not sure how a reader would handle HTML locally - if it could link from one document to another via a hyperlink. It seems like you would have to convert it into a single page or some other single-document format.

It would be good to hear from someone with a reader that supports HTML, because it isn't clear to me how that would work.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
lilpretender
Enthusiast

lilpretender: Hmm. Can your reader handle something other than LRF? BBeB maybe, or RTF? I am not sure how a reader would handle HTML locally - if it could link from one document to another via a hyperlink. It seems like you would have to convert it into a single page or some other single-document format.

It would be good to hear from someone with a reader that supports HTML, because it isn't clear to me how that would work.[/QUOTE]

I have a PRS-700, so it will only handle LRF and PDF. I don't like PDF on it because even if you use the XL font it's still a too little font.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All the readers I'm aware of which will handle HTML (the CyBook Gen3, for example) will only handle a single HTML file at a time, with no external (or, on the CyBook, even internal) hyperlinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
llreader
Mesmerist

I am still trying to figure out the PDF thing. Some pages scale, and others don't. So far it seems that pages with two columns and graphics won't scale, but basic text does. There is probably no way to reflow a layout like that, is my guess.