Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Since I bought my prs505 two weeks ago, 80% has been ebook. I've been reading aloud a pbook version of Percy Jackson, Lighting Thief by Rick Reardon to my son (I recommend Percy Jackson by the way).
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Actually I was kind of convinced there were a lot of polls of this type lying around, so I was hesitant to start a new one
(and now it looks like it's not possible to add a poll to an existing thread, so it's too late)
ha, so you've noticed how much we love polls around here. well no worries ; we'll just keep this idea for a future poll.

Quote:
I'm impressed with the number of people reading only ebooks or a very small fraction of paper books. But then I'm french, and though I read a lot of books in english I also read a fair number of french books, and few of these semm to be available as ebooks. So to go 100% ebooks I really would have to choose what I read based on the fact that it's available as ebooks, rather than read what I want to read. This constraint must be lighter for people reading only in english.
i'm not so surprised by that, it's what i expected to see. since i got my liseuse i've been reading almost exclusively ebooks, in fact i discovered that i no longer really like to read pbooks because i find them much less comfortable to hold, and this seems to be a very common experience. however like you i'm really frustrated by the scarcity of french ebooks ; sometimes i get tired of reading in english and i wish there were more french ebooks available (and i wish specifically the books i want to read were available as ebooks). hopefully the publishers will accelerate the movement to make ebooks available in 2009. it is true that to some degree my reading list is now influenced by what is available as an ebook, and this is a bit frustrating. however there is quite a lot available to me that i am interested in reading, so it could be worse.

to answer the question then, i would say that since i got my liseuse about 14 months ago, i've read 95% ebooks, the 5% remaining is mostly pbooks that friends have lent to me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For 2008 I read 327 ebooks and 1 pbook.

Other than maybe 5 books I want to read & haven't found an ebook available I've had no problem getting what I want in e-format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since I'm in a book swapping group, I continue to read paper books -- but I don't buy many of them. I did pick up 5 or 6 paperbacks with the $50.00 gift card to Barnes & Noble that I received for Christmas. The gift card to Amazon.com has been spent exclusively on books for the Kindle.

Here's the breakdown of books I read in 2008. Note that I received my Kindle around 17 February 2008, and I had read 16 books before opening the box containing my Kindle.

Summary by format:
* Audio: 5
* Electronic Books: 56
* Hardback: 4
* Mass Market Paperback: 59
* Trade Paperback: 16

So, if you sum up all the paper editions, you get: 40% electronic books, 4% audio books, and 56% paper books

So far in 2009, I've read 14 books, only 3 of which are paper books. I'm going to be reading a bit more in paper books, though, because I owe some books to some of my swapping buddies and I need to get them on their way as soon as possible.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only person who keeps track of this kind of stuff.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
ylefox
gadget freak
ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3 +palm tungsten e,e2,tablet pc
since i bought a palm pda 5 or 6 years ago all my reading has been ebooks,i now have the cybook gen 3 which is a lot easier to read. i do not even buy a daily paper anymore as i can get the headlines on the internet
ylefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Probably 95+% ebooks only because I still have so many unread pbooks. Once I reduce that stock of pbooks it will probably climb to 99+%, only because there still are a few books I real want that are not in ebook format.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #23
patchymama
patchymama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am probably at about 99% ebooks now. The only time I don't read ebooks is if it isn't available and often I just say nevermind if that is the case LOL
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
however like you i'm really frustrated by the scarcity of french ebooks ; sometimes i get tired of reading in english and i wish there were more french ebooks available (and i wish specifically the books i want to read were available as ebooks). hopefully the publishers will accelerate the movement to make ebooks available in 2009.
Let's hope they do! In the meantime I've discovered that even if we are willing to read ebooks in english, some of them are not available if you're buying from outside the US, limiting further the choice of available ebooks... Luckily for me I still have a _huge_ pile of paper books to read!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I got my Cybook only on Christmas eve 2008 and I have read at least 8 books (in English) on it during the last 8 weeks. One book per week is pretty good for me as I am a slow reader. However, I have also started 2 pbooks in the meantime because they are in Japanese and not available as ebooks. I wonder if this is a trend that I will follow in the months ahead. I agree with Zelda that there are too few books in French at the moment. Hope the situation will change as more French readers join MR.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Let's hope they do! In the meantime I've discovered that even if we are willing to read ebooks in english, some of them are not available if you're buying from outside the US, limiting further the choice of available ebooks... Luckily for me I still have a _huge_ pile of paper books to read!
so do i but i don't want to read them anymore. i agree the geographical limitations of ebook sales are really frustrating (and nonsensical, sheesh, it's called the "world wide web" !!!). note that on some sites you can get around them by either not entering your location or changing it to the US... yet another thing we must hope publishers will sort out soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
I agree with Zelda that there are too few books in French at the moment. Hope the situation will change as more French readers join MR.
well, it's not really the members of mr who can change the situation, however what i hope is that there will be more and more french people purchasing liseuses, and buying the (few...) ebooks that are available for the moment, and most importantly asking publishers for more (write to the publishers !!!), so that they will realise there is really a demand and be more active.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #27
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I can´t stand pbooks anymore
I have one or two English pbooks in my shelf that I haven´t read so far, but the font size of those US paperbacks is terribly small. I would probably have to switch on all the lights in the house to read it comfortably. Problem number 2: no lookup-mode in pbooks, so you need the pbook AND the dictionary on the sofa.
I also prefer to read German books as ebooks. Reading on a Cybook is just more comfortable, kids do not accidentally use it as painting book etc.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote