Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
screen is bad

I'm going to sell my kindle with busted screen on ebay, but I want to reset it to factory settings and basically clean my crap off it. What's the best way to do this?
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know how to factory reset without using menus, but after resetting go to the Manage Your Kindle web page to verify the factory reset deregistered the Kindle. I cannot remember if resetting does that are not, but you certainly want to deregister it before giving it to someone else.
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Deregistering is tough without being able to see what's going on on the screen :/

Any ideas how to do it without screen? I've followed the steps from my other screen, but it's hard to tell if it worked.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
Deregistering is tough without being able to see what's going on on the screen :/

Any ideas how to do it without screen? I've followed the steps from my other screen, but it's hard to tell if it worked.
Go to your account on amazon, manage your kindle and deregister there. You do not have to have the kindle powered at all.

As far as your content, use a pc and wipe the files. On your kindle do a Hard restart. Again you do not need to see the screen for this.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
kasra5004
kasra5004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why would anyone want to buy a kindle with busted screen? For its parts?
kasra5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Go to your account on amazon, manage your kindle and deregister there. You do not have to have the kindle powered at all.

As far as your content, use a pc and wipe the files. On your kindle do a Hard restart. Again you do not need to see the screen for this.
How do I do the hard restart? Pulling the slide and holding it?

Btw, thanks for the tip on deregistering. I'd forgotten about that.

Last edited by anywho; 09-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra5004 View Post
Why would anyone want to buy a kindle with busted screen? For its parts?
Yeah, only the screen is bad. I've seen people replace the screen. If I knew where to buy one, I would do it myself.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
How do I do the hard restart? Pulling the slide and holding it?

Btw, thanks for the tip on deregistering. I'd forgotten about that.
Yes, at least 30 seconds or so.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yeah, only the screen is bad. I've seen people replace the screen. If I knew where to buy one, I would do it myself.
A replacement screen will almost certainly cost you more than buying a new $69 Kindle. It's not economically viable to do.

If you contact Kindle CS and explain that you've broken the screen, you'll almost certainly be offered a new Kindle at a sizeable discount.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote