Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #76
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Did you type in:

cd c:\python

at the command prompt? The "cd" means "change directory" in the command prompt window. Also, the directory may be c:\Python25 because that's what mine is.

*If* your Python is in c:\Python25 instead of c:\Python that would explain why it's not working for you. Your PATH command would need to be changed, too to the correct directory path.

HTH
Many thanks for info. Now back to the drawing board to try it out.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #77
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltman711 View Post
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that it is the mobidedrm command that is not recognized, or the PID that is not recognized. I also do not understand your reference to the "computer registration number" Do you mean the PID for that computer? A computer registration number has no use in the function you are attempting. It would be helpful if you were extremely detailed and precise in your explanations.

If it is the mobidedrm that is not recognized, then your folder structure is not correct, or your command line usage is incorrect. As TallMomof2 said, double check your folder names and use proper commands at the command prompt. After you are in the correct directory, the command prompt will look like this: C:\python(or python25). You should be able to then type in mobidedrm, hit enter, and a list of options and the usage will come up. If not, then you are doing something wrong.

If your PID is being rejected, then either the book was downloaded using none of your PIDs, your PIDs are mistyped, or the file is corrupted. Does the book open in MobiReader? If so, then it not corrupted and the PID is correct. It is your command line usage that is incorrect. If not, then the PID for your computer is incorrect at the bookstore, or the file is corrupted. Either way, delete your Kindle PID in the bookstore and re-enter your computer PID. Redownload the book. Run mobidedrm using the computer PID on the newly downloaded book. If you have gotten the command line sorted out, it should run fine. It should look like this:
c:\python25 mobidedrm book.prc book.mobi PID

Tim
Sorry that I am so vague, but I am not used to 'computer speak'. Many thanks for the constructive suggestions and I will go through them today and also check files, if that doesn't work, I am going to start from the beginning
again.....slowly.
Cheers

COMMAND PROMPT
Right. Typed in cd c:\Python25 ..enter.. c:\Python25>
Typed in >Mobidedrm2 ......'not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch number.
Typed>mobidedrm.............it came up with the same as above.
Went into PATH and have: ;c:\Python25 ;c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts
Mobidedrm2

ON MY DESKTOP
I have an Icon for Python, and in it is: Mobidedrm2.

The book which I am trying to convert comes up in Mobipocket Reader just fine.
The Device Number is the one for my iPaq and I have double checked, and it's correct.
Jinxed?

COMMAND PROMPT
Mobidedrm2

ON MY DESKTOP

The Device Number is the one for my iPaq and I have double checked, and it's correct.
Jinxed?

COMMAND PROMPT
Mobidedrm2

ON MY DESKTOP

Jinxed?

Last edited by nohmi2; 08-24-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Checked
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #78
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Nohmi - In the Python25 directory, what extension does your mobidedrm files have? When I downloaded the files, I believe they were text files with a .txt extension. In order for them to be recognized as python files, they need to be renamed to .py files. Quickest way to check this: open a command window again and cd c:\python25 and then at c:\python25> type: dir This is a "directory" command and shows you the files in that directory. In the list find your mobidedrm* files and see if they are .txt or .py. If they are .txt, they need to be renamed to .py.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #79
grr
grr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Has anyone implemented a reversed version of kindlefix.py to modify azw -> mobi? My main annoyance is that I sometimes would rather read azw files on my laptop, but Amazon is the only vendor w/electronic versions of many of the books I want to purchase.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #80
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr View Post
Has anyone implemented a reversed version of kindlefix.py to modify azw -> mobi? My main annoyance is that I sometimes would rather read azw files on my laptop, but Amazon is the only vendor w/electronic versions of many of the books I want to purchase.
You don't need to un-kindlefix it, just mobidedrm. Example, I copied an azw file from my Kindle to my pc, ran mobidedrm infile.azw outfile.mobi KindlePID and the resulting Mobi file opened just fine under mobipocket reader on my PC. So you will need to know your Kindle PID (either via MobiPocket Reader 6.0 or using KindlePID.py) and you will need mobidedrm.
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #81
grr

unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work universally across all amazon ebooks (even among non-topaz, azw formatted ebooks) -- I get "error: Invalid file format" when trying to do so.

This seems to imply a deeper problem than just having the wrong kindle pid generated from kindlepid.py.

Possible points of failure, and what (I think) I've ruled out:

1.single quoting my kindle PID before running it on my file is not workable on my current OS -- running stuff in cmd line of windows XP (in case the asterisk is globbing or expanding or whatever)

a)I have a normal mobipocket book (definitely encoded w/my non-kindle PID).

-I am able to decrypt it by NOT singlequoting the non-kindle PID (which contains a $, instead of the kindle asterisk).

-However, when i single quote the (nonkindle) PID, I get a "invalid PID checksum" message

b)Thus, even if the asterisk in the kindle PID (unlike the $ sign in the nonkindle PID) is expanding/screwing something up in the dos command line, i'm not sure what character besides singlequote to use.

2.Probably not an issue w/my kindle serial->kindle PID conversion -- I bought my kindle within the last 2 months, and assume kindlepid.py can handle such serials fine.

edit: should mention that it isn't a lack of DRM on the azw file -- i tried mobi2html on it as a check

Last edited by grr; 08-24-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: elaborating on points
Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #82
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest trying argecho to see what is being passed to the script. See "invalid PID checksum" when using mobidedrm, even though it IS valid. .
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #83
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work universally across all amazon ebooks (even among non-topaz, azw formatted ebooks) -- I get "error: Invalid file format" when trying to do so.

This seems to imply a deeper problem than just having the wrong kindle pid generated from kindlepid.py.
I agree...sounds like the issue is not your PID. What title are you trying? You said universally, so have you had some that have worked for you?

Quote:
Possible points of failure, and what (I think) I've ruled out:

1.single quoting my kindle PID before running it on my file is not workable on my current OS -- running stuff in cmd line of windows XP (in case the asterisk is globbing or expanding or whatever)
I am also running XP. Quoting not required on the PID. Only on the file names if they have spaces AFAIK.

Quote:
2.Probably not an issue w/my kindle serial->kindle PID conversion -- I bought my kindle within the last 2 months, and assume kindlepid.py can handle such serials fine.
Mine is less than a week old and kindlepid worked fine...I checked its output against mobipocket6.0 and both agreed. I am assuming you did not put quotes around your serial number when using it. Just >kindlepid.py serial
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #84
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest trying argecho to see what is being passed to the script. See "invalid PID checksum" when using mobidedrm, even though it IS valid. .
thnks -- tried this, and the asterisk-containing kindle pid is correctly passed. So, I'm guessing it is the more fundamental "error: invalid file format" issue, which seems to suggest that for at least some amazon azw files, one needs to do something like f^-1(kindlefix.py) to get it to a mobi file (that can then be mobidedrm'd if necessary).

I should add that in addition to trying mobi2html on it, i also tried opening it using mobipocket reader (done to confirm that the azw file was drm'd).
Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #85
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I agree...sounds like the issue is not your PID. What title are you trying? You said universally, so have you had some that have worked for you?
Sorry, by "this doesn't seem to work universally across all amazon ebooks (even among non-topaz, azw formatted ebooks)," I just meant that at least some kindle books for some people have worked, whereas mobidedrm seemingly wasn't working for the book i tried.

Specifically:
Forgery by Sabina Murray
http://www.amazon.com/Forgery/dp/B00...9631373&sr=8-2

Quote:
Mine is less than a week old and kindlepid worked fine...I checked its output against mobipocket6.0 and both agreed. I am assuming you did not put quotes around your serial number when using it. Just >kindlepid.py serial
This is correct.

edit: ARRG - despite commenting earlier re: topaz format books (and how they don't work), I just realized that the kindle book i just bought has an AZW1 extension -- which I believe is in topaz format. Sorry for the spam -- I'll try buying and mobidedrm'g a different book...

Last edited by grr; 08-24-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: own stupidity
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #86
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
edit: ARRG - despite commenting earlier re: topaz format books (and how they don't work), I just realized that the kindle book i just bought has an AZW1 extension -- which I believe is in topaz format. Sorry for the spam -- I'll try buying and mobidedrm'g a different book...

Yep.

Give it a try with a regular azw file and let us know how it goes for you.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #87
grr

Quote:

Yep.

Give it a try with a regular azw file and let us know how it goes for you.
ah, sweet success -- now i can read my amazon-purchased ebook.

Well, w/o resorting to a 1980's-style gameboy backlight-type clipon device to read via kindle in the dark (or having my girlfriend kill me when i flip the lamp on after she falls asleep)///
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #88
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Python25

Quote:
Nohmi - In the Python25 directory, what extension does your mobidedrm files have? When I downloaded the files, I believe they were text files with a .txt extension. In order for them to be recognized as python files, they need to be renamed to .py files. Quickest way to check this: open a command window again and cd c:\python25 and then at c:\python25> type: dir This is a "directory" command and shows you the files in that directory. In the list find your mobidedrm* files and see if they are .txt or .py. If they are .txt, they need to be renamed to .py.
Thanks for help.

This is what Command Prompt came out with.Now, I find out that I can't copy and paste from Command Prompt. O.K., you can stop laughing now!!

Essentially, it says Volume in C drive has no label.
Volume Serial No. is 983F-90D1

There is a whole slew of of "txt' and "exe" .

Not very sure what to do next, nor how to do it.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #89
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Thanks for help.

This is what Command Prompt came out with.Now, I find out that I can't copy and paste from Command Prompt. O.K., you can stop laughing now!!

Essentially, it says Volume in C drive has no label.
Volume Serial No. is 983F-90D1

There is a whole slew of of "txt' and "exe" .

Not very sure what to do next, nor how to do it.

Cheers
Nohmi - in that "whole slew" of files, is there one named mobidedrm? Each line is a file, so look for a line that contains either mobidedrm.py or mobidedrm.txt. If you have a mobidedrm.txt file, then it needs to be renamed to mobidedrm.py. If it is easier for you to do this in the windows interface, then double click on your "My Computer" icon and then on the c: drive and then the python25 directory. Find the mobidedrm.txt file and right click on it and choose to rename and delete "txt" and type "py" instead. If mobidedrm is not in the python25 directory then go to the location where you put it before (tools\scripts?) and copy it to the python25 directory.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #90
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Nohmi - in that "whole slew" of files, is there one named mobidedrm? Each line is a file, so look for a line that contains either mobidedrm.py or mobidedrm.txt. If you have a mobidedrm.txt file, then it needs to be renamed to mobidedrm.py. If it is easier for you to do this in the windows interface, then double click on your "My Computer" icon and then on the c: drive and then the python25 directory. Find the mobidedrm.txt file and right click on it and choose to rename and delete "txt" and type "py" instead. If mobidedrm is not in the python25 directory then go to the location where you put it before (tools\scripts?) and copy it to the python25 directory.
Many thanks.

From Command Prompt for \Python25 there is no 'mobidedrm' whatsoever.

Went into My Computer/Python25(no mobidedrm)/Tools(no mobidedrm)Scripts has 'mobidedrm2'(no 'exe' nor 'txt'.)Not sure how too find out.
Closed Thread