Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #61
taltman711
taltman711 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbon_cable View Post
Perhaps I can get some input. --snip--
I then emailed the file to the person who owns the kindle.
She was able to load the file on her kindle.
When she tries to open the file she is informed that it can not be opened and if she bought it from Amazon she needs to call tech support.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I also had this happen on a purchased book. The only way for me to get it to open in the Kindle was to run mobidedrm on the file. If you do this, use the original file and not the file that has been run thru kindlefix. After mobidedrm, there is no need to run kindlefix.

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #62
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Where was the book purchased from, may I ask? Sometimes a book gets coded with your PC PID rather than the Kindle PID when you purchase them.
That was my problem - as soon as I removed the PC PID from my FW account, and re-downloaded, the kindlefix'ed file worked on my Kindle. Thanks.

Now, if only I could find a Mac solution for fixing the metadata. I'm far from being technically challenged, but perl is kicking my butt .
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #63
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
That was my problem - as soon as I removed the PC PID from my FW account, and re-downloaded, the kindlefix'ed file worked on my Kindle. Thanks.

Now, if only I could find a Mac solution for fixing the metadata. I'm far from being technically challenged, but perl is kicking my butt .
Have you check out the instructions in the mobiperl wiki?
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl/wiki
Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #64
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Oh, yeah, I've been through them many, many times. I keep running into cascading perms problems - fix one and 3 more rise up to take it's place. I haven't had anything to do with perl - well after my time in the industry - and I hate, hate hate the way it automates all the installs. Frankly I'd rather do it by hand so I could have a much better understanding of what's going on. I do better with the "make sure you have read perms on blat" kind of approach rather than blindly following the "now type 'chmod +r blat'" kind of instructions.

/rant
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #65
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Guess we PC people are really lucky. People from the forum even make windows binaries for us so that we don't have to contend with perl. I'm not sure if mobidedrm works on Mac or not. If it does that would seem to be another solution.

cheers
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #66
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
kindlepid.py question

Should the serial number provided to kindlepid.py include or exclude spaces?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #67
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbeer View Post
Should the serial number provided to kindlepid.py include or exclude spaces?
No spaces. The example in the original readme.txt is:

Code:
post content modified on Amazon's request
Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #68
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
No spaces. The example in the original readme.txt is:

[CODE]post content modified on Amazon's request
I really should have read that file more than just the one time.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #69
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Kindle Kurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltman711 View Post
I also had this happen on a purchased book. The only way for me to get it to open in the Kindle was to run mobidedrm on the file. If you do this, use the original file and not the file that has been run thru kindlefix. After mobidedrm, there is no need to run kindlefix.

Tim
There appears to be no way that I am able to convert .prc to my Kindle. I've downloaded Mobidedrm v1 and still no joy, as the "*" from Igor's scripts has been stripped by Mobipocket.
Any suggestions as to how I might be able to get around this?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #70
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use the PID that MobiPocket accepted for your downloaded ebook with mobdedrm. This is probably the PID of your Windows PC, in any case, look under "devices" in the left hand pane (or select help (? icon) and "about"). Your Windows PID will include a $.

A list of your PIDs is stored at the ebook store's web site too, but how to access this varies from site to site.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #71
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Use the PID that MobiPocket accepted for your downloaded ebook with mobdedrm. This is probably the PID of your Windows PC, in any case, look under "devices" in the left hand pane (or select help (? icon) and "about"). Your Windows PID will include a $.

A list of your PIDs is stored at the ebook store's web site too, but how to access this varies from site to site.
I think that I got the MobiDeDrm from Mobileread.
Put it in C:\Python\Tools\Scripts Folder and also in PATH.
Command Prompt does not recognize it, when I try to conver my PC ID.
There be gremlins here!!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #72
taltman711

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I think that I got the MobiDeDrm from Mobileread.
Put it in C:\Python\Tools\Scripts Folder and also in PATH.
Command Prompt does not recognize it, when I try to conver my PC ID.
There be gremlins here!!

Try this:
Put the scripts in c:\python. Forget the subfolders.
Call up the command prompt and put in cd c:\python and hit the enter key. Run mobidedrm or which ever version of mobidedrm you have.
You are running python 2.5*, aren't you??
What do you mean when you say "try to conver my PC ID"? Are you trying to get your computer PID? Run Mobipocket Reader--just about any version--and it will give it to you. Best if you can get 6.0 if you are running XP, but 6.2, the most current, will work fine. Free Download.

Tim
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 AM   #73
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltman711 View Post
Try this:
Put the scripts in c:\python. Forget the subfolders.
Call up the command prompt and put in cd c:\python and hit the enter key. Run mobidedrm or which ever version of mobidedrm you have.
You are running python 2.5*, aren't you??
What do you mean when you say "try to conver my PC ID"? Are you trying to get your computer PID? Run Mobipocket Reader--just about any version--and it will give it to you. Best if you can get 6.0 if you are running XP, but 6.2, the most current, will work fine. Free Download.

Tim
I do have my PC's registration number which I tried to use to convert .prc
and Command Prompt said that the command was not recognized. I also tried to use the number from my iPaq, which is the device that I bought the books for, again not recognized. I have three devices in Mobipocket: PC, iPaq and Kindle. The "*" is stripped from the Kindle.
I have Python 2.5.2 in my Programs(have looked in Add/Delete).
Went in Command Prompt typed in: c:\python....does not recognize it.
Have been having some help from a very kind person on Mobileread, but my computer has a curse put on it. Just about ready to throw in the towel(not really).
Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #74
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Did you type in:

cd c:\python

at the command prompt? The "cd" means "change directory" in the command prompt window. Also, the directory may be c:\Python25 because that's what mine is.

*If* your Python is in c:\Python25 instead of c:\Python that would explain why it's not working for you. Your PATH command would need to be changed, too to the correct directory path.

HTH
Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #75
taltman711

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I do have my PC's registration number which I tried to use to convert .prc
and Command Prompt said that the command was not recognized. I also tried to use the number from my iPaq, which is the device that I bought the books for, again not recognized. I have three devices in Mobipocket: PC, iPaq and Kindle. The "*" is stripped from the Kindle.
I have Python 2.5.2 in my Programs(have looked in Add/Delete).
Went in Command Prompt typed in: c:\python....does not recognize it.
Have been having some help from a very kind person on Mobileread, but my computer has a curse put on it. Just about ready to throw in the towel(not really).
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that it is the mobidedrm command that is not recognized, or the PID that is not recognized. I also do not understand your reference to the "computer registration number" Do you mean the PID for that computer? A computer registration number has no use in the function you are attempting. It would be helpful if you were extremely detailed and precise in your explanations.

If it is the mobidedrm that is not recognized, then your folder structure is not correct, or your command line usage is incorrect. As TallMomof2 said, double check your folder names and use proper commands at the command prompt. After you are in the correct directory, the command prompt will look like this: C:\python(or python25). You should be able to then type in mobidedrm, hit enter, and a list of options and the usage will come up. If not, then you are doing something wrong.

If your PID is being rejected, then either the book was downloaded using none of your PIDs, your PIDs are mistyped, or the file is corrupted. Does the book open in MobiReader? If so, then it not corrupted and the PID is correct. It is your command line usage that is incorrect. If not, then the PID for your computer is incorrect at the bookstore, or the file is corrupted. Either way, delete your Kindle PID in the bookstore and re-enter your computer PID. Redownload the book. Run mobidedrm using the computer PID on the newly downloaded book. If you have gotten the command line sorted out, it should run fine. It should look like this:
c:\python25 mobidedrm book.prc book.mobi PID

Tim

Last edited by taltman711; 08-23-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Closed Thread