Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
ajnorth
ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
wget doesn't work with application/x-www-form-urlencoded queries

Hi

I can't seem to use URL encoded queries with wget
i.e. when I try "wget http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft" I get an "Invalid argument" error.

I also tried a POST using the -h headers option to pass the arguments but couldn't get that working either - not sure if all web servers accept POST as an alternative for URL encoded queries.

Any advice?

Thanks
Angus
ajnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Do you need to quote the URL itself - alternatively, pass an explicit output filename?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
ajnorth
ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ajnorth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

wget

No, tried quoting. It seems the version of wget supplied in the busybox is very limited - hardly any options and an inability to pass parameters in the URL. Can't think of a way forward here apart from compiling a new version.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
ajnorth

Used curl instead

Instead of using wget I've compiled curl using adamb's virtual machine/VMWare image. Here's a copy of the binary for those of you that want something better than the inbuilt wget for fetching content on the iLiad.
See http://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html for instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: bin curl.bin (112.9 KB, 410 views)
Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
If you'd still like wget, you can try the updated busybox, or the version of gnu wget in my comics downloader.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
ajnorth

Thanks

That would have been easier!