Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
HELP! My Kobo Vox will not factory reset!

I got my kobo vox yesterday and charged it for 2 hours before attempting the set up. It recognized the internet connection and started to download the update. After connection drops and other errors it finally began to download. I got as far as pretty much complete when another error message popped up. Storage full. tried a few things such as restarting the kobo which sent me through the previous steps all over again to end up in the same place. I called tech help and they told me to factory reset but it wouldnt do a reset. I held down the volume + button and pressed the power button while still holding down the volume + button and it still loaded the same. I have tried this probably 20 times now. I do not know what to do.
Cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The factory reset is done with the Vox "off", then press both the volume + and power button for about 15 seconds. Was your Vox off?
If that doesn't work, someone else has successfully updated the firmware by going to the apps menu and using the "Firmware Update" app to install the new firmware. Sometimes it doesn't work the first time, multiple tries can eventually lead to success.
Many posts exist on the forum about this problem, try doing a search and some reading, several different solutions were found.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
Push the volume up button and hold it. Then push the power button. When the green light comes on, release the power button while continuing to hold down the volume up button
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Try charging your Vox (connected to a wall outlet) for 5 hours - then try the factory reset. Your battery level is probably not sufficient to handle the factory reset...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
can't get my Kobo Vox to reset

I loaded some books using the mini SD card and it was working great. Then it started opening on the same page of a book I closed. I tried doing a factory reset with hopes of reloading my library. I've tried every combination of "hold the up volume" "press the power button" and even pushed the reset button loacated beside the battery with the back off. It still shows the same library and opens on the seame page of the same book. I even tried to re-format the device itself, but still got the same results.
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
From powered off, hold the volume up down turn on and keep holding volume key until you see the kobo reader screen. Should do the trick.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
pumpkincat
User

Thanks Jesslynne. I have honestly tried every combination of holding the volume up and the power button and the darn thing won't reset. The Kobo Customer Care people had the same suggestions. They finally suggested I return it for another one. It's very frustrating - as there SHOULD be a way to get the thing to reset.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You could try hieronymos' tricky reset in post #5 of this thread...this is a true factory reset restoring your vox to factory state and wiping all your data:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t+system+image
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
pumpkincat
User

Thanks mr_nobody. I tried heironymos' reset and still came back with all my files. I re-formated the thing, after erasing everything through 'settings' and still no change. I did this again and then tried heironymos' reset - and still have all the files.

Guess I will have to give up and return it. Damn, I hate to think the thing beat me!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
leewain
leewain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Not sure if you've resolved your problem or not. I was told by a Kobo tech to carefully remove the back of the Vox and you will find a small button there that also does a reset on the Vox. Make sure it is fully charged before attempting any update.

I had a defective Vox and got a replacement within 3 days. They will have you do a few things like taking a picture of the screen and include it with other information to initiate a replacement. It cost me around $11 to return the defective unit to the address in Mississauga. I used Canada Post.
leewain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
marymary123
marymary123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
I have a kobo vox and its only 1.5 yrs old and it wont reset either. I talked to a kobo vox tech support person who after confirming the factory reset didn't work suggested I access my kobo account via another device like, ipad or ipod!!!!!!!! Basically told me it couldn't be fixed!!! This is NOT ACCEPTABLE to me!!! How do I escalate this! Cannot believe she told me that!
marymary123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
marymary123

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewain View Post
Not sure if you've resolved your problem or not. I was told by a Kobo tech to carefully remove the back of the Vox and you will find a small button there that also does a reset on the Vox. Make sure it is fully charged before attempting any update.

I had a defective Vox and got a replacement within 3 days. They will have you do a few things like taking a picture of the screen and include it with other information to initiate a replacement. It cost me around $11 to return the defective unit to the address in Mississauga. I used Canada Post.
Mine is just over 1 yr old and Im out of luck according to kobo. How do I get if fixed, that's all that I want!!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
marymary123

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewain View Post

How old was your vox when u got it replaced? more or less than a yr?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymary123 View Post
I have a kobo vox and its only 1.5 yrs old and it wont reset either. I talked to a kobo vox tech support person who after confirming the factory reset didn't work suggested I access my kobo account via another device like, ipad or ipod!!!!!!!! Basically told me it couldn't be fixed!!! This is NOT ACCEPTABLE to me!!! How do I escalate this! Cannot believe she told me that!
Does it boot at all? If it will boot to the book animation, you can force a true factory reset back to original firmware by interrupting the boot process five times (when the animated book opens, hold down the power button until it shuts off; repeat).

If you get the blinking green light and black screen, the internal SD Card might have failed. You can buy a new card, create a firmware image on it and replace the one in the Vox. You have to have a tiny, jeweller-type phillips screwdriver and be willing to take your Vox apart, though.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote