Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Lightbulb ANN: Chess (gnuchess + eboard port)

This is a quick, dirty, incomplete and buggy port of gnuchess v5.0.7 + eboard v1.1.1 for DR devices.

Specially for Gogolo

I edited out some options from eboard: removed ICS stuff, modified UI slightly to fit on DR800 screen, etc.

It works perfectly on the emulator but I suffered a few crashes on my DR800.
Also note you should sometimes force screen refresh manually (for example clicking in and out on a menu option) in order to make opponent moves appear.
Anyhow is quite usable.

Attached is the package for the DR and eboard modified sources. I don't include gnuchess sources as no modifications were needed. Note gnuchess v6.0 does not work.

Best regards,
Iņigo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chess-1.png
Views:	623
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	75658  
Attached Files
File Type: gz chess-v1.tar.gz (603.6 KB, 488 views)
File Type: gz eboard-1.1.1-dr-src-.tar.gz (654.5 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 08-22-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Oh thank you very much, this is very nice of you.

Now it runs, had the wrong folder first. Its great so far, have to test it further!!!!

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 08-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Nice ! I will test more extensively later today ... quick question, how do you do the screenshots? does gpe-screenshot work, maybe I missed that particular port ?

Best regards,
F
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Gogolo
Addict

Its simply great. Already had my first play. Even the menues and configuring the engine works.

Now.... if it would be possible to implement a screen refresh after engines move....

Thank you again for your great port!
Gogolo
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
Nice ! I will test more extensively later today ... quick question, how do you do the screenshots? does gpe-screenshot work, maybe I missed that particular port ?

Best regards,
F
fbshot, a command line program I run in the emulator console or in a usbnet ssh connection.
It's included in the "core runtime" package [1].

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=887725

Iņigo
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Its simply great. Already had my first play. Even the menues and configuring the engine works.

Now.... if it would be possible to implement a screen refresh after engines move....

Thank you again for your great port!
Gogolo
It should be easy.
Anyway, I'm not going to spend more time on this. In fact I play chess on my mobile phone, that's why I hadn't ported this before.

so little time and too many interesting projects...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

No problem. I am very thankful and it is running very good.

I tried landscape mode, but this causes massive slowdown

Everything else is nice and EBoard has a lot of options.

Have a good time
Gogolo
Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Gogolo
Addict

I played several games on it. Very nice, chess on e-ink is sweet.

If somebody ever is going to work on it further, here what I observed:

- Landscape mode causes slowdown and crashes. Landscape would be even more beautiful.

- Would be nice to have the window menu again, so games could be saved and loaded. Also PGN game files could be loaded and viewed there.

- Screen refrehes for engine. Partial for both would be best.

I just installed VMWare and Adams ubuntu image, but I only have programmed some VBA until now, so progress is very small.

Okay, back playing...
Gogolo
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
I played several games on it. Very nice, chess on e-ink is sweet.
I agree ;-)

Quote:
- Would be nice to have the window menu again, so games could be saved and loaded. Also PGN game files could be loaded and viewed there.
I thought all options in windows menu were related with internet-based games.
which are the entries you would like? "games on client"? more?

Iņigo
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

I can activate "games on client", but the problem is, that a Toplevel window is opened then (dlg_gamelist.cc). I couldnt return to mainwindow.cc when loading a PGN file and click on "view". A solution is to iconify the window, but then I cannot return to games on client even if I deiconify it. You see I ran into some problems ;-)

eboard is designed to have gamelist window staying open beside mainwindow, so games of PGNs can be viewed etc. For DR maybe a tabbed solution would be best. I already tried to move gamelist in a gtk_notebook in mainwindow - but I got into more problems with this

I attach what I have done. Possible with this is to load a PGN and view it, but you cannot return anymore to gamelist then...

I only added this:

gtk_window_iconify(GTK_WINDOW(widget));

in row 565 in dlg_gamelist.cc.

Gogolo
Attached Files
File Type: tar eboard-1.1.1-dr-src2-.tar (2.25 MB, 391 views)

Last edited by Gogolo; 08-29-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
ducdreamer
ducdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
DR1000s

Hello everybody,
Has someone managed to get this program running on a DR1000s.
My device complains
The chess.desktop application cannot be opened
Possibly the application is already open close it first and try again.
I hope somebody can help me I would love to play Chess on this device
Greetings
ducdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

strange, it works fine on my Dr1000, why don't you try to re-install ?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
It could be that the application you used to untar the archive has unset the executable bit. Try untarring using 7zip or try setting the executable bit on the binary.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
ducdreamer
ducdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
DR100s

The above solutions did not work for me.
I still get the same error.
Can somebody tell me where I must put the program before the install?
I mean can I place it in programs?
Or is there another place from where the files must sit?
I hope for an answer
Greetings
ducdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
fekhner
Addict

You have to copy the directory _chess and the file Chess.desktop from the zipped chess-v1.tar.gz archive of the first post under the directory /Programs that you have to create on your SD card.

As said before, it is important how you actually copy these files as some decompressing utilities do not keep the correct linux attributes.

Under MACOSX, I am following dima_tr's suggestion from some way back and copy everything from within an i-term using midnight commander. In this case, you actually do not need to extract as you can copy from the zipped archive directly. According to rvs, you should use 7zip under windows. This is in fact a recurrent problem and appears at several places in the forum, see for instance
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=93627&page=6 from #85 and further

Tags
chess, eboard, gnuchess, gogolo