Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Slope
Slope began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo & inline graphics

I read a lot of technical books that are in ePub format from O'Reilly.

I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles, I just need something to read the book on. The Kobo would seem to fit the bill--light, simple, inexpensive--everything I'm looking for.

When I viewed on at a Borders, the salesman indicated the Kobo can't display any graphics that are embedded in the book. That would be a deal-killer for me, as the O'Reilly technical books often have graphics.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience using a Kobo to read O'Reilly ePubs?
Slope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
All kobos support inline images in the EPUB format.

The original kobo could not display images in its native format, but that's been fixed with the new WiFi version (and hopefully the original one too with the forthcoming firmware update). I have dozens of O'Reilly books in EPUB and they look great on the kobo.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
I haven't tried any O'Reilly books, but in some of the books I have in ePub format the graphics are very small and unreadable. The Kobo has no means, at least that I've been able to find, to enlarge graphics. Unlike the Kindle, for example, where you can select the graphic and enlarge it. O'Rielly books may very well have the graphics pre-formatted in a readable size.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Another thing which makes the Kobo less than ideal for reading technical material is the inability to follow links or jump to a particular location. You can't just go to read a footnote or endnote and then return to the original location, or follow links from one location to another. You can go to the start of each chapter from the table of contents, but that's the only option. Also there's no search option.

So if you read the books from start to finish the Kobo is fine. If you read them non-linearly as reference books the Kobo is not the best option.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
A small % of the books I buy digitally are like this--generally, I buy pBooks for work/school related reading and mostly novels for digital reading. I have though found that I can use hyperlinks on the desktop Kobo reader, so that has bailed me out from time to time.

If I had books for which illustrations and hyperlinks were important, I'd probably get a Kindle DX--larger format etc.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
antonio106
antonio106 began at the beginning.

Device: 1st Gen. Kobo
So, apologies for bumping this thread, but I JUST got around to upgrading my old school Kobo, with the promise of graphic support. Went back to look at "The Return of Sherlock Holmes," which was preloaded with the device. I still get:

GRAPHIC

I've yet to re-install Piers Morgan's The Procrastination Equation, and I know that was another title that had graphics in it. Is it possible that they are just missing from the freeware books? Or am I doing something wrong?
antonio106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
When you updated to 1.8.x did you also get the new database with the kepub pre-loaded books? I haven't checked to see if they added the pictures into the kepub files, but they certainly weren't in the original database versions.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
antonio106
antonio106 began at the beginning.

Device: 1st Gen. Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
When you updated to 1.8.x did you also get the new database with the kepub pre-loaded books? I haven't checked to see if they added the pictures into the kepub files, but they certainly weren't in the original database versions.
All the preloaded stuff appears to be in the same spots as before. All I had to do was add the books which I had purchased and it was off at the races.

Yeah, I suppose I should have realized at this point that it was the books and not the reader that didn't have graphics, lol.

Thanks!
antonio106 is offline   Reply With Quote