Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@vampiregrave, I like your epub and its classic look.

I did some tests on the KT (Kobo Touch) and the Sony, and of course, I met the same problems you faced.
  • With the Sony it goes a little better than the KT but the two failed before "Mais antigo na Espanha que o Condado Portucalense..." and "O Fidalgo encolhera os ombros..."
  • My suggestion (lpara) does not work, at least with your original file.
  • So I modified your epub. I removed the embedded font and added the codes you know about widows and orphans.
  • With the KT it goes better than before, but not perfectly (there are still gaps in the pages). But if, as I have already pointed out, we change the name to kepub.epub, it works as expected. So there is a known bug on the Kobo which affects epub files but not "kepub".
  • With the Sony the "revised" epub works correctly (no need to rename it!).
I guess the bug of the Kobo with long paragraph will eventually be corrected, so be patient. I wonder otherwise if it would be usefull to have a mechanism like : {paragraph-wrap: break-paragraph;}?

Last edited by Arios; 03-01-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #47
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
@vampiregrave, I like your epub and its classic look.

I did some tests on the KT (Kobo Touch) and the Sony, and of course, I met the same problems you faced.
  • With the Sony it goes a little better than the KT but the two failed before "Mais antigo na Espanha que o Condado Portucalense..." and "O Fidalgo encolhera os ombros..."
  • My suggestion (lpara) does not work, at least with your original file.
  • So I modified your epub. I removed the embedded font and added the codes you know about widows and orphans.
  • With the KT it goes better than before, but not perfectly (there are still gaps in the pages). But if, as I have already pointed out, we change the name to kepub.epub, it works as expected. So there is a known bug on the Kobo which affects epub files but not "kepub".
  • With the Sony the "revised" epub works correctly (no need to rename it!).
I guess the bug of the Kobo with long paragraph will eventually be corrected, so be patient. I wonder otherwise if it would be usefull to have a mechanism like : {paragraph-wrap: break-paragraph;}?
Interesting. So, besides the bug, the embedded font might cause some problems too...
vampiregrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
So, besides the bug, the embedded font might cause some problems too...
That seem to be the case, as far as my fast tests are good.

It is a pity because nobody here has tested the epub (yours and mine) with other ereaders than the Kobo & Sony, but we can assumed without too much risk that the Kobo is the culprit for now (btw with so many firmware updates, they are going to get rid of some old bugs one day ).

As the problem is related to Kobo, I suggest you to look here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ans%3D0&page=4 # 48 and ss) on a regular basis and you may request information to Mrs_Often and davidfor: they are both very nice persons and if they can, they'll help you I'm sure.

If you want my "version" of your epub for playing with, I can leave it here or send it to you via a PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #49
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
It is a pity because nobody here has tested the epub (yours and mine) with other ereaders than the Kobo & Sony, but we can assumed without too much risk that the Kobo is the culprit for now ( btw with so many firmware updates, they are going to get rid of some old bugs one day ).
I hope so...

Quote:
If you want my "version" of your epub for playing with, I can leave it here or send it to you via a PM.
You can send it via pm and i'll check it out as soon as possible. Thanks for the help.
vampiregrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That seem to be the case, as far as my fast tests are good.

It is a pity because nobody here has tested the epub (yours and mine) with other ereaders than the Kobo & Sony, but we can assumed without too much risk that the Kobo is the culprit for now (btw with so many firmware updates, they are going to get rid of some old bugs one day ).
Until Kobo gets rid of the embedded font bug, I cannot recommend a Kobo reader to anyone. That's the bug that ignores font-family when it's in the Body CSS style. That means that a lot of eBooks with embedded fonts won't properly display the embedded font because the most common way to specify the main embedded font is via the Body CSS style.

But, as far as the other bugs, it seems that they fix some bugs and introduce new bugs with the firmware updates. I would find it too frustrating and either buy a different reader or go back to paper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #51
NedC
Enthusiast
NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NedC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Unfortunately widows:0 and orphans:0 are invalid css - values have to be >= 1. This doesn't appear to matter at the moment, but there's no telling which direction development will take.

And they don't always work - they seem to fix the problem on Sony readers, but on the Kobo mini long paragraphs are always littered with page breaks. Same goes for some Android apps I have tried, certainly Aldiko.

The problem appears to be caused by a combination of screen size and font size, neither of which are under the control of the designer.

Last edited by NedC; 10-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.
NedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedC View Post
Unfortunately widows:0 and orphans:0 are invalid css - values have to be >= 1. This doesn't appear to matter at the moment, but there's no telling which direction development will take.
Do you have a reference? using zero works perfectly on my Kobo devices.
Quote:
And they don't always work - they seem to fix the problem on Sony readers, but on the Kobo mini long paragraphs are always littered with page breaks. Same goes for most Android apps I have tried, certainly Aldiko and Moon+
I don't believe that bug is related to widows and orphans. This hits when the paragraph is a bit longer than will fit on a screen.
Quote:
The problem appears to be caused by a combination of screen size and font size, neither of which are under the control of the designer.
That is correct. It has nothing to do with the book (beyond the existence of long paragraphs) but is a bug in the reader code. From reports, it has happened on other ADE based readers, so it probably is a bug in the version that Kobo is using.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #53
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you have a reference? using zero works perfectly on my Kobo devices.
From the CSS spec: "Only positive values are allowed".

But what would you expect to accomplish with "0" that cannot be done with "1"? The value is the minimum number of lines in a page, if there are 0 lines, the pagebreak is between elements and not inside one, so these properties do not apply anyway.

I guess some readers will treat "0" or lower as "1", but maybe others will simply ignore values of "0" or lower.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
From the CSS spec: "Only positive values are allowed".
Thanks.
Quote:
But what would you expect to accomplish with "0" that cannot be done with "1"? The value is the minimum number of lines in a page, if there are 0 lines, the pagebreak is between elements and not inside one, so these properties do not apply anyway.
Good point. I don't know where I got the idea of "0". It might have been a post somewhere around here or experimenting.
Quote:
I guess some readers will treat "0" or lower as "1", but maybe others will simply ignore values of "0" or lower.
The Kobo devices seem to treat "0" the same as "1".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thanks.

Good point. I don't know where I got the idea of "0". It might have been a post somewhere around here or experimenting.

The Kobo devices seem to treat "0" the same as "1".
Actually I have yet to hear of a device that does not honor 0 the same as one and widows and orphans really has nothing to do with splitting long paragraphs at arbitrary points unless it is related to only 2 lines being moved. By default ADE assumes a setting of 2 unless overridden in the CSS or styles setting. I think people that use 0 in widows and orphans mean off.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote