Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Can you transfer paid apk files from other devices?

Hi,

I understand that the application that comes with the Kobo Vox only allows to install free apps.

Did other people install paid applications on the Kobo Vox using downloaded apk files from Android Market on other devices?

I just want to make sure that there are no limitations to use paid applications on the Kobo Vox.

Also, since the Kobo Vox uses Android 2.3, does it mean that you can transfer the applications on the SD card instead of using the internal memory?

Thank you.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am using a paid application (SwiftKey X Tablet) on my Vox. I got it from apktop.com, which hosts applications people pay for when they use android market. That's not my usual way of doing business, so I bought a copy using an old not-in-use device and then uninstalled it, so at least I paid the developer for it.

I also bought the paid version of LastPass on the LP website and I am using it just fine on the Vox.

If you buy on a rooted device, you can extract the apk files. Google is your friend.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Well, APK have no DRM or no security at the base. Some app might require too register, but I only found one of those in all the app I've tried (and I was able to find a better free alternative).
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Well, APK have no DRM or no security at the base. Some app might require too register, but I only found one of those in all the app I've tried (and I was able to find a better free alternative).
That's not 100% accurate. The developer of a paid app can use the licensing model for the app. In that case the app is linked to your account and periodically contacts a server to verify it is legitimate. If you were to copy that app to a different device it would fail with a license error when launched.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Ah, didn't knew, thank for the information.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote