Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Tori
Tori began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a few ?'s about the pocketbook 360.

Ok first, Hello everyone! I am new here and I need to have a few questions awnswered about the pocketbook 360.

1.) Can you have and read DRM and DRM-free books?

2.) How hard is it to find a battery and is it costly?

3.) What is the best place to buy e-books for it?

4.) The charger jack looks like the one I use for my razr phone, Can I use that charger? Or do I need to buy the offical one?

5.) Does it need a speical brand/type of memory card, or can you use any brand/type?

6.) What is the maxium expandable card you can use?

7.) What would be a good booklight I can use to read in low light/dark conditions??

8.) Does it come preloaded with books? If so how many? And I hear that many free books are available, Is this true?

9.) I hear that the white one is better then the black one ( Easier on the eyes) Is this true?

Thank you everyone who answers for your time. If you think I need to know something that I did not ask, please feel free to tell me!!
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Hello Tori,

welcome to MR. Hope you feel at home here. The PB 360 is a definitely good choice for a first reading device.

1) You can read PDF and ePub with or without DRM. Additionally you can read PRC, HTML, TXT, DOC, RTF to name a few (all without DRM).

2) I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. The battery of the PB is a Li-Polymer battery which should last for the next few years to come. Even then it should be rather easy to be replaced.

3) Depends on where you live since most shops have geographic restrictions to some of their eBooks. Also depends on what you read. Fictionwise is a good starting point, Kobobooks too. But that's just two examples.
Definitely not Amazon since they don't sell ePub and use a format no other reading device can read easily.

4) In the European version a charger is included. Should be the same for the US version. So you shouldn't need to buy one. If there isn't, buy a USB adapter.
Avoid using chargers of other electronic devices in general; they may work, but there's neither guarantee nor warranty if anthing should happen.

5) Nope, you can use any kind of microSD card

6) At least 16 GB (not sure if the PB 360 already supports 32 GB)

7) That's a tough one since there isn't any official accessory besides the leather pouch. So you'd have to find your own solution or browse through this forum if anyone came up with an idea.

8) Not as far as I know (mine had some Russian eBooks, but that's slightly off topic ). But there are indeed so many free eBooks around. First, start here at MR in this thread, next, there's Project Gutenberg, but also sites like feedbooks, manybooks, smashwords, ...

9) The white (ivory) one indeed is more comforting to the eyes. For a lot of users the black border is too solid a frame which "limits" the dimensions of the screen while the white case rather "broadens" the screen.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by K-Thom; 01-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Tori

Thank you alot! Ok I live in the USA. What I meant about the battery is I know most things with a rechargable battery after so many charges it loses life. I wanted to know how much and how hard it would be to get a new one. Thats one of the things that I really like about the 360 is it's changeable battery.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Thank you alot! Ok I live in the USA. What I meant about the battery is I know most things with a rechargable battery after so many charges it loses life. I wanted to know how much and how hard it would be to get a new one. Thats one of the things that I really like about the 360 is it's changeable battery.
Battery can be obtained / order the service wentre Pocketbook (www.pocketbookreader.com), the price for the U.S. just do not know, I think about $ 10-20, as if not more. Usually, the battery is enough for 2-3 weeks of reading, and she must have worked a minimum of 3-4 years, depending of course on the intensity of use.

Last edited by Forkosigan; 01-27-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
In addition, Pocketbook USA is selling a USB charger:

http://shop.pocketbookreader.com/USB...ll-Charger.htm
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I found the battery at "batteries plus" here in oregon. sorry i don't remember the price off hand.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Any USB charger will work.
And you can charge it off any USB port; I've charge mine off PCs, my Kindle adapter, and my XBOX 360 (kinda fitting if you think about it).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Tori

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any USB charger will work.
And you can charge it off any USB port; I've charge mine off PCs, my Kindle adapter, and my XBOX 360 (kinda fitting if you think about it).

lol Yeah I can see how thats fitting!! I wouldn't want to plug it into my xbox 360 though cause I would be to scared that something would mess up and void my warrenty! I just got my x360 for Christmas so it's way to new.

Thank ya'll everyone for being so helpful. I originally was going to get the Opus but I like the PB360 better. At first I was looking at E-readers with wifi but Then I thought " What do I REALLY need that for?" And of course the answer is, I don't. So once I decided that I don't need wifi my choices opened up alot, And it was a tough choice but now I think the PB360 is the one for me. I just wanted these few questions cleared up first.

Last edited by Tori; 01-27-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: More to add.... So since I live in the USA where would be the best online place to buy E-books for the PB360??
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
lol Yeah I can see how thats fitting!! I wouldn't want to plug it into my xbox 360 though cause I would be to scared that something would mess up and void my warrenty! I just got my x360 for Christmas so it's way to new.
No need to fret; I plug in all sorts of stuff into my XBOX360 USB port; music players, cameras, thumb drives, Hard Drives, my cell phone, and my PB360.
Main reason is it the USB port feeds out power eve while the 360 is off.

Oh, as to where to buy books for PB360, if you like Fantasy and SF, Baen.com is the place to start. Their free library has over a hundred great books for free and their webscriptions are pretty good buys. All without DRM.

If you're into Romance, Harlequin's web site is a good starting point. For general fiction, Fictionwise does pretty good.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Ok first, Hello everyone! I am new here and I need to have a few questions awnswered about the pocketbook 360.

1.) Can you have and read DRM and DRM-free books?

Yes, both)

2.) How hard is it to find a battery and is it costly?

You won't need a battery for next 3 or 4 years. And by that time you'd rather by a new model, than change the battery on the old one. Though, changing won't be a problem at all.

3.) What is the best place to buy e-books for it?

Any book store except Amazon.com, since they don't support anything readable by other devices). ebooks.com, fictionwise, kobo, etc.

4.) The charger jack looks like the one I use for my razr phone, Can I use that charger? Or do I need to buy the offical one?

I recommend buying only the official one, if you need one. I usually charge from my PC and that's more than enough

5.) Does it need a speical brand/type of memory card, or can you use any brand/type?

Any MicroSD

6.) What is the maxium expandable card you can use?

16G definitely. We do claim that we support 32, I took it from the developers' website, but, honestly, did not tried yet one. Even more - I haven't seen a 32 G MicroSD card yet))

7.) What would be a good booklight I can use to read in low light/dark conditions??

Any light, I can't recommend anything specific...

8.) Does it come preloaded with books? If so how many? And I hear that many free books are available, Is this true?

It comes with about a dozen of different books, but I can pre-load some free stuff for you, when you order)

9.) I hear that the white one is better then the black one ( Easier on the eyes) Is this true?

Very individual, I read the black one, it's fine with me)

Thank you everyone who answers for your time. If you think I need to know something that I did not ask, please feel free to tell me!!
If you need free books in other languages than Eng, you're more then welcome to get some from pocketbookreader.com/support
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
Tori

Ok at fictionwise they offer rebates, is that for every book? Or just the first one?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
9) The white (ivory) one indeed is more comforting to the eyes. For a lot of users the black border is too solid a frame which "limits" the dimensions of the screen while the white case rather "broadens" the screen.
I'm afraid that I can't agree with on that. I have white readers, and I have black readers, including a white CyBook Opus and a black Pocketbook 360 (very similar devices). To my eyes at least, the colour of the surround makes not the slightest difference to the appearance of the screen.

What are you basing your conclusion on?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Tori

Ok I tried to go through the checkout at dulinsbooks.com so I can see the final price but for some reason I can't open the page.... Can someone please tell me what the final price is for the pocketbook 360? The regular package that is $240 before taxes

O never mind I have foud out that at pocketbookreader.com it's $239 even

Last edited by Tori; 01-28-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are you basing your conclusion on?
http://www.popularscience.co.uk/features/feat16.htm
The first time I saw this, many, many years ago I HAD to open the picture in Photoshop and compare colours in A and B squares. I was genuinely shocked to find out that they, indeed, are exactly the same shade of grey.

Also see this
http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/wp-con...mages/3605.gif
The orange stripes are exactly same shade.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
http://www.popularscience.co.uk/features/feat16.htm
The first time I saw this, many, many years ago I HAD to open the picture in Photoshop and compare colours in A and B squares. I was genuinely shocked to find out that they, indeed, are exactly the same shade of grey.

Also see this
http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/wp-con...mages/3605.gif
The orange stripes are exactly same shade.
Those examples use green and orange. Do you have examples that use greyscale exclusively?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote