Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
20090222 snapshot

New snapshot!

New stuff:

* CoolReader3 updated. Lots of new features - see the users' guide.
* FBreader updated too. Base version updated to 0.10.3, plus more settings available from menu.

Documentation (please help to improve it):
* User's Guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/UsersGuide
* Installation Guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/InstallationGuide

Downloads: http://openinkpot.org/pub/snapshots/20090222/

Last edited by dottedmag; 02-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Is there any easy way to tell a 64MB from a 512MB Hanlin?

I attempted to install the 64mb image, and then tried to turn it off to swap SD cards. The machine seemed to refused to reboot. (It just sat there.) It did let me reflash with Jinke's most recent firmware, so I'm OK, but either I tried to install the wrong sized version or there is a bug with the new snapshot. I would wager on my error over a snapshot error...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Well, the only method I know is to check the form of cover for USB/audio sockets compartment

On 64mb models it is flat, while on 512mb models it has the hasp for easier pulling it.

This applies to lBook V3 (Ukrainian reseller of Hanlin), but may be applicable to the rest of devices too.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The size of the partition should be viewable on your Desktop PC when connected via USB (e.g. under properties in Windows).
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I will be trying it right away. I'll post bugs/crashes/wows! later on.
Keep up the great work!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The error was mine. I used the wrong file. Everything is looking good so far. (I'm still playing with it.)

Ralph
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This version allows me to use FBReader just as I do on the iRex iLiad (which uses the full Desktop port of FBReader).

The best way to learn FBReader is to use it, but I know that some people like some guidance. It is typically necessary to change the default options to get FBReader setup the way that is best for you. So here are some screen scans of FBReader and its menus. The scans are about 100 ppi, so they are lower resolution than the screen.

The first shot shows the page layout I like, with a bold font and a relatively large indicator bar. The indicator bar includes TOC marks, and keys 4 & 5 (above 9 & 0) go back & forward by one TOC mark. I also turn on left justification and hypenation. You might like a different setup, but most likely FBReader can do what you want.

The 2nd shot shows the top level menu (press OK to get here), and then a number key to go to the next level.

The 3rd shot is the Book Info menu. With some ebook formats and on some ebooks you might have to manually select the encoding or language (language is mostly for hypenation).

The 4th shot is the "Language" menu. These are the global defaults. The per book settings are in Book Info.

The 5th shot is the Format and Style menu. This is where you control how the ebook is displayed on the page. There are lots of options and you need to try them to get the layout you want. Any .ttf font in the font directory on the SD card should be available via this menu.

The 6th shot is the Margins menu (under Format and Style). Note that when the indicator bar is on, the bottom margin is below the bar, and the indicator menu has a margin option for above the bar.

The 7th shot is the Indicator menu. This can be turned off if you want, or long press 2 toggles the status line when reading. I would prefer not to show the time, but it is linked with the battery % which I want to see. Note that this indicator is significantly larger than the default and has TOC marks on. The Indicator size should be tuned based on your preferred font size, to optimize the number of lines per page.

This version of Open InkPot is full featured for reflowable ebook formats. If you find you don't like FBReader, then try Cool Reader instead. For ebook formats supported by both, a short press of the item number (1-8) brings up FBReader but a long press of the same key allows you to select FBReader or CR3. The latter even includes dictionary support (although I have yet to get it working).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR1h.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24231   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR2h.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24232   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR3h.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24233   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR4h.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24234   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR5h.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24235   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR6h.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24236   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR7h.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24237  
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Like it.. so decided to flash the V3 instead of using the live version.
Nice

Couple of notes though:
Bug: When adding bookmarks and you want to delete them: It's not possible to delete the last one

Annoying: No option to specify the default reader. It's nice that the press number a couple of secs gives you the option, but I would like the option to change the default reader. Preferably in the bookshelf menu.

Helpfull: Would be nice to have a context aware help page/menu item that shows the options available per reader/bookshelf. There are so many options and they slightly differ per reader that it would help as a reminder.

The recently read folder from the original firmware is something I noticed is very welcome for madshelf as well. Especially if you have a lot of files and folders it saves some searching.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The indicator bar includes TOC marks, and keys 4 & 5 (above 9 & 0) go back & forward by one TOC mark.
I want TOC marks in my Cybook!!! Do they work with all formats? How are they defined (does every "target" become a mark)? I add something similar to the PDFs I create, but I miss that in mobi books.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Did anybody succeed using the dictionary function?

This is what I'm doing:
1. I downloaded "The Collaborative International Dictionary of English" from http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php
2. I made a directory "dict" in the sd card
3. I copied the files .idx (renamed to .index) and .dict.dz to this directory

I always get "Article for word xxxx not found"

Any hint/trick/help?

Regards
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
When I search for a word it says 'No dictionaries found'. I did the same as leandroide
Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I want TOC marks in my Cybook!!! Do they work with all formats? How are they defined (does every "target" become a mark)?
Every entry in the table of contents becomes a mark. So they don't work with formats that FBReader can't find or create a TOC from. They also won't work if a MOBI (say) has an internal TOC in the text flow but it is not identified as the TOC in the metadata.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Puck2099
Puck2099 began at the beginning.

Device: lBook V3
Hi,

I've just installed OI on my lBook, you have made a wonderful job, but I think that I've found some bugs.

First of all, in main menu I can't change language. I've selected Spanish one, but all continues in English...

Another bug is when reading a Spanish book using FBReader, I've selected it as Spanish language and turned auto hyphenations on (alignment is justify) but I can't see any line break when there is too much white space them...

By the way, is there any way I could help you coding software?

Thanks for your good work.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck2099 View Post
First of all, in main menu I can't change language. I've selected Spanish one, but all continues in English...
Known bug - there's ticket open somewhere for it.

Quote:
Another bug is when reading a Spanish book using FBReader, I've selected it as Spanish language and turned auto hyphenations on (alignment is justify) but I can't see any line break when there is too much white space them...
Probably no hyphenations DB for the Spanish, but better ask LunohoD.

Quote:
By the way, is there any way I could help you coding software?
See the site for the information for (prospective) developers, and drop in to IRC channel -- it's where the most of development occurs.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I love this version! After adjusting to "left justify", adjusting the margins and the font that I like, my BeBook is pretty much a perfect ebook reader for me now. Awesome job guys!!