Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
PRS-505 vs. 300 screen contrast and readability

Comparing the 300 to 505 are they pretty much the same in terms of contrast and readability or is one of them better?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The 300 is a slimm/scaled down version of the 505. The main differences are the 505 has a larger screen and expandable memory.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
People often say that 300 has slightly better screen.

But compared to 505, besides expandable memory it lacks:
1) sidebar browsing buttons
2) picture viewer (probably "fixable" via software means)
3) mp3 player (hardly anyone listens to the music on 505, it also drains battery pretty fast, but still)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I had to replace my 505 a couple of weeks ago after I damaged the screen.

To my surprise I have found the 300 even more pleasant to use because I can hold it and navigate with just the one hand - I found the 505 a little too heavy and wide to do this for any length of time.

I don't have a working screen on the 505 in order to compare contrast qualities but the 300 certainly seems no worse.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I find no problem at all holding it in one hand while I am reading.

I've seen the 300 and I do prefer the larger screen. I know it's only 1", but it does make a noticeable difference. So if you have a chance to get a 505, get one. Also, if you get a 505, you can use some of the hacks available for the 505 such as PRS+ and have true folder support and an onscreen clock among other things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen the 300 and I do prefer the larger screen. I know it's only 1", but it does make a noticeable difference. .
When you consider screen area and not just the diagonal, it's a more significant difference in practice:

12" on the 300 vs. 17.25" on the 505

Five and a quarter more inches of screen real estate on the 505.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote