Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #61
leebok21
leebok21 doesn't litterleebok21 doesn't litter

Device: NUUT/Dell Axim, PRS-505
Can you specify....

Hello nas_matko,

How could you manage to convert ePub with UTF-8 encoding? I presume you have converted from a Japanese txt. Would you please give me recipe and font name please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas_matko View Post
I think I have solved the problem. I saved TXT as UTF-8 (originally it was ANSI) and I set manually encoding as UTF-8 and now chaarcters are encoded properly.

However I have increased base font size to 22pt and now I am experiencing another problem - page count is e.g. 379 but I have to turn 3 or 4 pages before counter actually moves one page forward. Moreover page breakes are sometime in the middle of page. How to fix this?
leebok21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We are getting off topic. Can we please start another thread on encoding and converting since it doesn't have to do with fonts?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #63
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I agree that this is a bit off-topic.

To get back on (the topic) I found out that the Droid font family (used in the Google Android operating system) is now freely available (although quite a bit hard to find). It's a nice, very legible font, looks a bit like the lovely (but expensive) PMN Caecilia.

I prepared a tiny package that I share here with you, my fellow e-readers ; it contains the fonts that must be uploaded to the device (in a /fonts directory), and a droid.css file which content must be copy/pasted in Calibre settings (Set conversion defaults / Look and Feel / Override CSS).

Should anyone need help, please contact me...

Cheers,
David.

Last edited by dpierron; 06-17-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Removed the bugged package
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you for that david ! i think you'll make a lot of people very happy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #65
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Ooops, looks like I posted too fast...

I made a crucial mistake when I copied the CSS code in the droid.css file : the line specifying the text justification is missing a trailing column ! As a result, the following lines are not even evaluated, and thus the droid font is never even used by ADE...

So, I thought that this package worked when it didn't : the font I saw was the default serif font of ADE.

I'll try and post an updated package ASAP, but for the moment I can't make it work and I think that maybe the font files are FUBAR (so much acronyms in so small a sentence, you're gonna think I'm military )

Cheers,
David.
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Droid fonts. If you need some help, let me know.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #67
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Yes, I'd like to try with your fonts files, please. My email is dpierron (at) gmail.com !

Whatever I do which works for the Caecilia font, stops working as soon as I try with my Droid TTF files. Thay are most probably in a form incompatible with the PRS-505, although they show up nicely on the computer screen...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #68
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Well, no need to worry, the font files worked after patching the CSS just a bit.

Here is the promised package, and I can guarantee that it works : I tried it myself...

droid.zip

I think the Droid Serif font looks nice, but is a bit densely packed for my taste. I'll try and use the Droid Sans just in case it's more spaced. In the meantime, I'll stick to Caecilia.

Cheers, and thanks for the help !
David.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Well, no need to worry, the font files worked after patching the CSS just a bit.

Here is the promised package, and I can guarantee that it works : I tried it myself...

Attachment 30889

I think the Droid Serif font looks nice, but is a bit densely packed for my taste. I'll try and use the Droid Sans just in case it's more spaced. In the meantime, I'll stick to Caecilia.

David.
You can use the line height CSS command to space the lines better. I'm using 115% for when I do use Droid Serif.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #70
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

That's a good idea, although I was talking about the horizontal spacing of the letters (isn't it called kerning?). AFAIK, there is no way (in CSS) to change this spacing, is it ?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #71
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
That's a good idea, although I was talking about the horizontal spacing of the letters (isn't it called kerning?). AFAIK, there is no way (in CSS) to change this spacing, is it ?
Basically there exists such a way via the CSS attribute "letter-spacing":
Code:
letter-spacing:0.3em
Unfortunately ADE doesn't support it.

Update: Hm, seems as it isn't ADEs fault. letter-spacing is just not in the supported CSS subset according to the OPS specification.

Last edited by netseeker; 06-17-2009 at 12:13 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #72
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Custom fonts work nicely with fetched news from calibre, but interestingly not with reconverted epubs from feedbooks.com - "invalid page" is displayed on the sony.

There's probably some way of putting the CSS in the calibre recipie; I've just been reconverting the fetched epub until I figure that out.

For people having trouble with getting custom fonts working at all, I've had some success pasting the book in to: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php then copying it to word and saving as RTF. Also if the conversions were slow, doing this speeds them up. You'll loose links but keep your formatting.

Last edited by gregcd; 06-22-2009 at 11:03 PM.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #73
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:

David.
Thanks for the file.

I have been having zero luck getting fonts to work with the LRF conversion in Calibre.

I based my own font selections (Trebucet, of all things) on your Droid file.

The font selection seems to be working in the ePub conversion on my squeaky-new 505, but I do wonder about those little page numbers I'm seeing on the conversions. Can they be suppressed in the conversion process?

Also, my source files started out life as HTML with JUSTIFIED DIVs. The ePub is displaying ragged-right, regardless if I keep the TEXT-ALIGN attribute in the override CSS.

Any thoughts on that?

Anyone?

(If this is something obvious, write it off to a 505 Noob. )

Thanks.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #74
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
The font selection seems to be working in the ePub conversion on my squeaky-new 505, but I do wonder about those little page numbers I'm seeing on the conversions. Can they be suppressed in the conversion process?
No, you can't suppress those page numbers. They are shown automatically by the mobile edition of Adobe Digital Editions on the PRS-505.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
Also, my source files started out life as HTML with JUSTIFIED DIVs. The ePub is displaying ragged-right, regardless if I keep the TEXT-ALIGN attribute in the override CSS.
The ADE version used on the PRS-505 doesn't support full justification. Newer versions would be able to do that but Sony hasn't published a firmware update yet.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #75
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
No, you can't suppress those page numbers. They are shown automatically by the mobile edition of Adobe Digital Editions on the PRS-505.
Hmm... that's a decidedly odd feature to have. Especially when it isn't switchable.

Quote:
The ADE version used on the PRS-505 doesn't support full justification. Newer versions would be able to do that but Sony hasn't published a firmware update yet.
If I'm reading the device properly, my firmware is 1.1.01.25200.

So... the ePub-formatted files are using a separate rendering engine?

Crud... after getting the fonts to actually work, too. I am experiencing an Epic Fail in getting fonts recognized with LRF.

I guess I'll go back to trying to get the fonts to work in the LRF files.

Thanks for the quick reply.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts