Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC ADE only supports CSS2
Which is the only thing it needs to support, since the OPS spec only supports CSS2 (and not even all of that).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
So if I use the originally listed technique - save the fonts to my Reader and put them in the CSS - what happens if I give a copy of the eBook to a friend whose Reader doesn't have the fonts saved? Bricked Reader? Crash/reset? Defaults to system fonts?

I looked at the Hounds of the Baskerville file, and it did display in my Reader as intended (pretty cool, actually). But I could imagine this could lead to much larger files...and is there any issue with using system fonts from my computer on eBooks distributed to others?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
So if I use the originally listed technique - save the fonts to my Reader and put them in the CSS - what happens if I give a copy of the eBook to a friend whose Reader doesn't have the fonts saved? Bricked Reader? Crash/reset? Defaults to system fonts?

I looked at the Hounds of the Baskerville file, and it did display in my Reader as intended (pretty cool, actually). But I could imagine this could lead to much larger files...and is there any issue with using system fonts from my computer on eBooks distributed to others?
if the fonts specified in the css are not present on your liseuse, then logically it would default to the system fonts. i have not tried it, however i did try to use a second decorative font in one book ; the decorative font turned out not to work (i think it was just an incompatible font file ; not all fonts are created equal ), so the text was displayed in the regular font instead. i don't think it's possible to brick anything using css, and i'd be pretty surprised if it even caused a crash ; at the very worst you might have trouble reading the book or displaying it correctly, but i doubt even that would happen.

also, since you are not adding the fonts to every book, but only a few lines of code, it won't lead to much larger files ; that is actually one of the benefits of this method ; you just move the font files *once*, but you can use them on every book formatted to use them, whereas when you embed fonts you must embed all the fonts in each file, and that *does* lead to larger files.

as for the question of using system fonts from your computer for sharing books, don't forget that if the person you share with wants to use the same font, they must also have a sony 505 / 700, and they must install the fonts in the correct folder (otherwise, it will just use the default fonts). there are many fonts available which are free and can be distributed with no problem ; anyone using the same system as you (windows ?) would have access to the same ones.

alternatively, you can choose one of the many many quality free fonts available (many discussed here). some fonts are not free to be distributed (this is true of many commercial font foundries like adobe and linotype), but it's easy enough to find good free fonts that this shouldn't be a problem.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #34
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Let me preface that I'm completely new to CSS but know enough to copy/paste and do basic editing of someone else's code. I have read this thread with great interest. Thank you for the contributions that have been provided.

I do have a question which I believe will be very easy for someone comfortable with CSS. How can I change the chapter headings so that they don't look like regular text and is larger? My guess is that it's a "heading" tag of some sort.

In brief, what would be the correct syntax to include a particular font family to "heading" text?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
It's not CSS you want to modify, but your HTML file. Instead of
Code:
<p>CHAPTER 10</p>
<p>Blablabla...</p>
you want to use:
Code:
<h2>Chapter 10</h2>
<p>Blablabla...</p>
(The number in H2 can be anything from 1 to 6, 1 being the largest and most important.)
If you then want to enlarge the heading even more, you can use CSS:
Code:
h2 { font-size: 200%; }
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the correct html tag for headings are the h series tags ; so, the largest header (i use it for the title) would be <h1>title</h1>, next largest is h2, etc.

usually i use h3 for chapters but that's a question of choice. in the css code, you can modify the font used, whether it's bold or not, italic, etc.

edit : or see pepak's much better answer just before me.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #37
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Thank you pepak and zelda-pinwheel for your informative replies. I understand now.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
atu1303
atu1303 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 700
Smile

Big thanks to zelda-pinwheel, i was able to read vietnamese on PRS 700 now
atu1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by atu1303 View Post
Big thanks to zelda-pinwheel, i was able to read vietnamese on PRS 700 now
congratulations ! i'm glad you got it working.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
All4Fun
Zealot

If I purchase an epub, say of LOTR, and I want to use custom fonts as described earlier, will I be affecting my original epub source when Calibre copies it to my device so that I can get the custom fonts?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #41
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
If I purchase an epub, say of LOTR, and I want to use custom fonts as described earlier, will I be affecting my original epub source when Calibre copies it to my device so that I can get the custom fonts?
When you add the epub to Calibres library, then Calibre will create a copy and leave the original as it is.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #42
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Hi I've finally got this going
It looks awesome; variety of font makes a big difference.

I'm using droid serif (a google font)
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #43
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
I'm using droid serif (a google font)
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender
Why, thank you very much for the pointer to these fonts. Finally a decent serif font for 505.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Why, thank you very much for the pointer to these fonts. Finally a decent serif font for 505.
It does look pretty good on my 505 at the default base size used by Calibre's ePub conversion.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #45
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Glad other people like it.
This line will space out the text if it looks too dense:
Quote:
p { line-height: 150%;}
Paste it at the end of the custom CSS in Calibre.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts