Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
glad it worked! but, so you make epub out of your latex files? How do you cope with formulas?
I don't. It only works for non-scientific text, unfortunately. Equations would have to be turned into images, and even those couldn't be embedded within the text. Too bad, but PDF still rules for scientific/technical documents. However, I use LaTeX for straight text, as well, and I was creating epubs from those mostly because the default PDF fonts were hard to read on my 6" readers. Now, I'm not so sure I need the epubs anymore thanks to your tip; I'll find out with more reading.

I don't know anything about HTML5, so I wonder if it can handle equations?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't. It only works for non-scientific text, unfortunately. Equations would have to be turned into images, and even those couldn't be embedded within the text. Too bad, but PDF still rules for scientific/technical documents. However, I use LaTeX for straight text, as well, and I was creating epubs from those mostly because the default PDF fonts were hard to read on my 6" readers. Now, I'm not so sure I need the epubs anymore thanks to your tip; I'll find out with more reading.

I don't know anything about HTML5, so I wonder if it can handle equations?
I am sure I know less than you about HTML
I haven't been able to find a quick way of converting a latex document while turnign equations into SGV images. I can get to an HTML file that will display properly in a browser, but this uses mathml - I see Bluegriffon has an html extension and can handle svg files, but I do not know whether it can turn mathml into svg, and given that the manual costs €5, the mathml extension about €4 and that I am a cheap bastard, as a matter of principle I don't want to pay for something that may not work at all for me.

yep, I guess palatino pdf will have to do for now...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I haven't been able to find a quick way of converting a latex document while turnign equations into SGV images. I can get to an HTML file that will display properly in a browser, but this uses mathml - I see Bluegriffon has an html extension and can handle svg files, but I do not know whether it can turn mathml into svg, and given that the manual costs €5, the mathml extension about €4 and that I am a cheap bastard, as a matter of principle I don't want to pay for something that may not work at all for me.
The output from this would have to be understandable to the epub reading program, as well, so I would be twice as wary/cheap about this path. Do you know whether the programs on the Pocketbook devices can handle SVG within epubs, and if so, if it can be inlined within the text?

Edit: I shouldn't have been so lazy, and googled before I asked my question. Here's a link within MR that answers some of my questions:https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/SVG#..._Usage_in_ePUB

Last edited by rkomar; 02-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for the link - I confess I never actually tried to read a file that I knew had SVG graphics/formulas, as I always took it for granted it would work from what I had read superficially on the forum as suggestions to read/convert latex files - but in fairness I searched some more, and it looks like it is not a forgone conclusion - so I should really try on the machine. Even if it did work, though, what I found at the moment are procedures that I would not be able to automate, and that would only allow conversion of one piece of math at a time by hand, for which life is simply too short on my book
Still, I will verify how the pro behaves with those files, and report back!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard

It looks like neither CoolReader nor fbreader can handle SVG in epubs, but AdobeViewer can! There is an epub file with SVG equations and a figure available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jece/2008/421650/ (click on the "Full-Text ePUB" link near the upper right). It displays beautifully in AdobeViewer. The problem is that the actual code for the formulae in the XHTML file looks fiendishly complicated. Still, there is hope that it can be done.
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It looks like neither CoolReader nor fbreader can handle SVG in epubs, but AdobeViewer can! There is an epub file with SVG equations and a figure available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jece/2008/421650/ (click on the "Full-Text ePUB" link near the upper right). It displays beautifully in AdobeViewer. The problem is that the actual code for the formulae in the XHTML file looks fiendishly complicated. Still, there is hope that it can be done.
this is really good, just tested it! As for transaltion, there is a utility that converts .dvi files into svg, dvisvgm - in texlive it is implemented, and you simply use the command line. Problem is, the package converts the whole file to a svg image, so although the improvement with respect to pdf is really VERY noticeable, you still have a pdf like display (e.g. the page does not fit the screen), plus I could not scroll around it with adobeviewer after converting to epup (to do so, I inserved the svg file as image in a new blank file in sigil, and saved as epub). I did manage to open it into the webbrowser, but for some reason it would not go landscape mode (to see the file in landscape I first had to put the browser in landscape, and only then load the file) -here you can zoom greatly and scroll as you wish with the scrollbars, again making the file very readable, but the annotation capabilities are lost.

I've only experimented with a single page file.

To me, teh ideal is some routine exporting text to html and maths to svg, but I couldn't find it!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard

I tried out a dvi2svg perl script yesterday and found out pretty much what you did (except that my test EPUB didn't work well in AdobeViewer). The SVG files did look good in my browser, though.

More hopefully, I also tried out LaTeXML, a program to convert LaTeX to XML, and that XML to another format (HTML, XHTML, XML). The HTML works if converted to an EPUB, but the equations are in the form of images, which are hard to read and usually displayed too small on the reader. The XHTML contains MathML by default, so it won't work in any of the EPUB readers. The XML->XHTML process allows for a number of types of math markup in the output (Presentation MathML, Content MathML, and OpenMath). They already have preliminary support for converting LaTeX pictures to SVG, so I would guess that it would be possible to convert the math XML to SVG at that stage, as well. I noticed that someone already brought up that suggestion on the project's mailing list. So, although it doesn't work at present, that may be the best option in the future.

I tried some MathML->SVG converters (SVGMath and pMML2SVG) on the XHTML output by LaTeXML, but neither worked, unfortunately. It's not clear that they can't work (the errors were hard to interpret for me), but I have the feeling that neither converter is meant to work on MathML embedded in arbitrary documents. To me, a modified LaTeXML seems to be the best option.

Tags
912, calibre, fonts, japanese, labels