Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Battery test and big suprise!

I live in Germany and got my Nook the 3rd day now and I was curious.

So last night 22:00 o'clock I put him to sleep

Airplane moden
wifi : off
Battery: 80%

This morning 7 o'clock it lost exactly 3%. So that makes 3% in 9 hours. Guess that is ok.

================================================== ================================================== ===============================

Now, this is realy extremly strange. I went to work this morning. So I wanted to know, how much battery the Nook will use, while he has Wifi turned on. Now, see the suprising result:

Airplane mode: on
Wifi: on
Battery: 74%
Sleep modus

I started this test at 8:45 and ended it at 13:45 so he was exactly for 5 hours asleep. When I woke him up and looked at the battery status it said 73%. Which would mean in 5 hours with wifi on and airplane mode on it used only 1%!!! Which would mean, it uses less than with wifi turned off. That is strange.

I start to think that maybe the 3G network is causing this problem. Over here in Germany I cannot connetc to the AT&T network and I never saw the network sign in the upper corner on my Nook. I know with my iPHone it was the same problem in the beginning. It used a lot of battery power trying to connect all the time to a network. So as long as you stay in the same wifi network the Nook is not busy trying to connect you to a different network. That is at least the only explanation I have for this.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't think you can trust the battery meter at the level of precision you're asking for. The charge level will change with temperature, for example; it will have a higher charge when it's warmer than when it's cooler. It's OK when it comes to knowing whether it's fully charged, half charged, or almost empty, but you can't really trust it more than that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
it. it. IT!
Not "him".

It's one thing to know how long you can keep a reader in your drawer and it will still turn on. It's another to read on it (nudge, nudge, "it") for an extended period of time. I think even the frequency of your page-turning will have an influence on the battery life.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The problem with airplane mode is that they are often not well tested (they usually do turn off the wireless, but they often have side effects). I would not be surprised if this mode drained the battery. The only way to confirm is to repeat the test, perhaps for a longer period, with a fully charged battery and have others try the same test.

On my old Nokia 770, I don't think WiFi had much effect on battery life even when it was not present. This is because it was only turned on when I asked for internet access, and was automatically (and aggressively) turned off when not in use. So airplane mode with WiFi on may not be a bad default setting, except on an airplane.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Yes, that what I thought. I think my battery is absolutly fine, no matter, if wifi is on or off. But I think what drains the battery might be the sim card.

I know we had in Germany the problem with the iPhone. Some simcards used 1.8Volt other sim cards used 3 or 5 Volt. The later sim cards drained the battery life extremly fast.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
mos
Addict

Tonight I tested how much battery the Nook will use with airplanemodeff

So it used within 12 hours only 4%.

So that would mean: wifi: on, airplane mode: on put to sleep it would last for ca. 18-20 days if you don't use it

Wifi: on, airplane mode: off, put to sleep it would last ca. 10-12 days

Mine uses ca. 5%per hour, when I'm just reading. When the touchscreen is of and I just flip pages. So I could read ca. 16 hours without charging it new. That is absolutly ok for me.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
My nook is a "she". I call her Mona. Don't ask. I'm wondering if anyone have made any empirical comparisons between 1.1.1 and 1.2 as many people have commented on a marked improvement on battery life after updating to 1.2.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote