Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion:Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers (spoilers)

I started this thread a bit early so we could get a start on it. I am still reading the book. Some parts are really good, and some seem to drag a bit. There are also a lot of characters to keep track of. I am sure I will finish it.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I haven 't started it yet. I probably will later today. I should be ready to discuss it by tomorrow or Wed. I Took some time off to go motor home shopping. Now, I'm back.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I have not yet finished it, but I love it already. I find Dorothy Sayers' writing style rather droll. She may not have meant her book to come across that way, but imho it does, especially her very British descriptions.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I need to order a copy from Amazon. Must do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I have not yet finished it, but I love it already. I find Dorothy Sayers' writing style rather droll. She may not have meant her book to come across that way, but imho it does, especially her very British descriptions.
Actually some of the British expressions and words are making the book a bit hard for me to digest. I would guess it is a much easier read for those Brits among us.

BOb
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually some of the British expressions and words are making the book a bit hard for me to digest. I would guess it is a much easier read for those Brits among us.

BOb
Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you don't understand!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you don't understand!
Ok, can you explain Cricket to me.

BOb
Old 12-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

BOb
http://www.rulesofcricket.co.uk/
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I laugh because I have an Indian co-worker who follows it and lead me to understand it is quite a complicated game with all the rules... and makes American Football rules seem like child's play. (Of course that could have been an exaggeration.)

BOb
Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's what you grow up with, isn't it? I find cricket a straightforward game, but I've followed it all my life. Baseball I haven't got a clue about! American football I do like and enjoy watching, but that's because I bought a book about it and made an effort to learn about it.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I laugh because I have an Indian co-worker who follows it and lead me to understand it is quite a complicated game with all the rules... and makes American Football rules seem like child's play. (Of course that could have been an exaggeration.)

BOb
Technically, cricket has laws rather than rules.

My on-topic message is that I've always found Sayers a bit stodgy ('Nine Tailors' told me more about campanology than I ever wanted to know) - so I'm giving this month's book a miss.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm behind, I just started it yesterday. Coming off the heels of an Agatha Christie book, it's obviously quite different. Yesterday I was actually listening to NPR and mystery author PD James was on talking about Sayers and Christie and the differences.

I want to have it finished by tomorrow, but I'm thinking that's unlikely with the holiday. But when I'm done, I'll be able to increase my 1001 count by one after months of not moving!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

BOb
Ha!

I thought it was:

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when
he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's
out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in
and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get
those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in
and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who
are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes
in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two
men called umpires who stay all out the time and they
decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides
have been in and all the men have been given out, and
both sides have been out twice after all the men have
been in, including those who are not out, that is the
end of the game!"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ha!

I thought it was:
The clearest description of Cricket I've ever read....
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
This book is slow going for me, but I should finish it tonight. I'm really enjoying the character of Lord Wimsley/Bredon though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote