Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
the_badluck
the_badluck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Noob Question about sorting by Author

I am sure this question has been asked, but for the life of me, I can not find the answer I am looking for. What I think I want is a custom column that allows me to sort by the author's first name. I really do not want to change how Calibre normally works (i.e. templets). Like the old saying, I don't know what I don't know. I might not be even asking the correct question to get what I want.
the_badluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you need TAG like column because there could be more than 1 Author.
Then I would use the BULK mode Search and Replace of the Metadata Edit to populate.

As you can see, this is a HIGH MAINTENANCE method (meaning you need to do this every time new books are added.

My question:
Why the: 'sort'?
Just search Authors: Jim, if that is the first name (or fragment) you want.

(I never needed this feature, since I am not on a First name basis with any Author )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you add a custom column with the template "{author}", it will sort as the string without the special name handling. But, for books with multiple authors it will be sorting on the first name of the first author.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
the_badluck

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I didn't explain very well. I am in the process of adding my collection to Calibre. The books are sorted in subdirectories based on author's first name. Often I don't remember which was the last to be added. So if I do a sort based on first name, it will be easier to know where I left off. Once I get get the slug of books in, this custom sort column will be deleted.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_badluck View Post
I don't remember which was the last to be added. So if I do a sort based on first name, it will be easier to know where I left off. Once I get get the slug of books in, this custom sort column will be deleted.
You can use the built in column to show when a book was added to Calibre. Then, just sort based on that column and you'll quickly see which books were most recently added. No need to worry about sorting by author.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I didn't explain very well. I am in the process of adding my collection to Calibre. The books are sorted in subdirectories based on author's first name. Often I don't remember which was the last to be added. So if I do a sort based on first name, it will be easier to know where I left off. Once I get get the slug of books in, this custom sort column will be deleted.
Sometimes old school pencil and paper is easiest.
Assumes a 'root folder' to your first name

I ran the following from a command prompt
Code:
C:\Users\thedu>dir C:\Users\BigHD\Public2\MainLib > foo.lst
Substitute the path to the 'root location'. foo.lst is the redirected output (the > ) and can be anyplace/name.
Simply print the file: and scratch thru the ones done.

Dir /S will list all child files (dir /? lists all the switches you can use)
Old 09-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
the_badluck

I was referring to when I added them to Calibre. I didn't realize that the date was more than just the day since the column only shows the day. Since I could put 50 books a day in, I thought just having the day entered would not help. But sorting on this column was exactly what I was looking for since the stored information is more than what is displayed. Thank you for everyone help.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I was referring to when I added them to Calibre. I didn't realize that the date was more than just the day since the column only shows the day. Since I could put 50 books a day in, I thought just having the day entered would not help. But sorting on this column was exactly what I was looking for since the stored information is more than what is displayed. Thank you for everyone help.
There is a Tweak for how dates are displayed (the tweak was something about Pub_Date
but the tweaks body says
# Control how dates are displayed
Old 09-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
I am probably reading the question wrong, as i see some really complicated answers, but if you want it permanent, what I did was go into setting author sort and just copy and paste jim butcher to the author sort collum. Bit of a bugger if you have lots of authors already. Just need to check meta data when adding new books.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, caliber, sort