Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
TashPerth
TashPerth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
HELP! First Name Last Name Author Sort

Please please help!
I have been using Calibre for 4 years and recently just reimaged my Macbook Pro. I have imported my calibre library (however it only kept half of my saved metadata, different issue for a different day).

I cannot seem to find the setting anywhere in the system or any information online how to have both the Author and Author Sort show both First Name Last Name.

Please please help this is driving me bonkers!

Tash, Perth, Australia.
TashPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You Added books from your old Library. As been mentioned multiple times, Calibre does not normally UPDATE the embedded metadata in the Library copy for a number of performance reasons. There are tools that WILL do that, but you need to use them on selected books.

The Question(s) Why not simply Copy the old Library folder to the new MAC?
and why did you not use the real Import/export tools built into Calibres Library Maintenance (those even do the users settings)? Or read the FAQ's before doing something major.

OK how do you recover? depends on what you have.

If you have the OLD library FOLDER (includes metadata.db)
Simply copy it to a brand new folder (path). DO NOT just drop the files into an existing Library, then switch/Create: Use existing <path>.
If there are no New books (or are willing to lose any changes) you are done

If you need help Merging additions, come back and explain what you need. (updating metadata of those preexisting is not easy)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the author sort being the same as author name, you could try changing the author sort name algorithm to author_sort_copy_method = 'copy' and then recalculating all the author sorts? Look in calibre Preferences/Tweaks.
See attached image for what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	author_sort.png
Views:	701
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	169343  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
TashPerth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You Added books from your old Library. As been mentioned multiple times, Calibre does not normally UPDATE the embedded metadata in the Library copy for a number of performance reasons. There are tools that WILL do that, but you need to use them on selected books.

Thank you for the feedback theducks. I have a copy of the original library before i did the laptop refresh. When i reinstalled Calibre i selected the second option for adding books to my library (see image). If i am understanding you correctly, i should have replaced the root folder with the copy of Calibre instead, correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-29_9-19-14.png
Views:	386
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	169355

Last edited by TashPerth; 01-28-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
TashPerth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the author sort being the same as author name, you could try changing the author sort name algorithm to author_sort_copy_method = 'copy' and then recalculating all the author sorts? Look in calibre Preferences/Tweaks.
See attached image for what it looks like.

Thank you for the response DNSB. I did see that post, but unsure of what i actually need to do inside that text window. Do i copy and paste "author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'" somewhere? Do i amend text?
Step by step instructions would be very helpful please.
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashPerth View Post

Thank you for the feedback theducks. I have a copy of the original library before i did the laptop refresh. When i reinstalled Calibre i selected the second option for adding books to my library (see image). If i am understanding you correctly, i should have replaced the root folder with the copy of Calibre instead, correct?

Attachment 169355
You would have been better served just copying the entire Library folder to your new HD. That HAD everything (metadata and books) for THAT Library (some of us have more than one)

If you had used the Export part of the Export/Import context menu of the Library Icon, You would have ALL your plugins and other user level (the parts that are not Per Library) settings
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashPerth View Post

Thank you for the response DNSB. I did see that post, but unsure of what i actually need to do inside that text window. Do i copy and paste "author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'" somewhere? Do i amend text?
Step by step instructions would be very helpful please.
When I tested my suggested tweak, I simply selected the 'comma' text between the single quotes, typed copy, clicked on Apply changes to this tweak, Apply and then Restart calibre. If you make a mistake, it should toss up a syntax error instead of applying the tweak.

I did the test on my Intake library (currently a massive 7 book library) since I did not want to mess up the author sorts in my main library (L. Sprague de Camp is de Camp, L. Sprague NOT Camp, L. Sprague de for instance).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TashPerth - a thread from the 27th inst, similar question and same answers ==>> Calibre Author Sort - Not Alphabetic Order?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, author sort