Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You might wait for more but from what I understand, the jailbreak does not interfere with the update nor does the update eliminate the jailbreak.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I jailbroke my Kindle 3 wifi. I'm on the 3.0.2 firmware right now, but it doesn't seem to be giving me the option to update to the 3.0.3 firmware. Do I have to remove the jailbreak first? Sorry if this has been answered already in this thread and I just didn't recognize it. I'm kind of a newbie to the jailbreaking thing.

Edited to add: Sorry. I just realized the 3.0.3 update was just for download. No problems here.

Last edited by bhartman36; 01-01-2011 at 10:44 PM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
You might wait for more but from what I understand, the jailbreak does not interfere with the update nor does the update eliminate the jailbreak.
The jailbreak is that it adds a new signing certificate to the Kindle which is then used to allow the other modifications to be applied. The Kindle firmware so far does not affect this extra certificate and because it is a new file which doesn't alter a preexisting file then it currently safe and possible to use the regular update without affecting the jailbreak.

The issue is that the other modifications generally do alter preexisting Kindle files and the update will fail to apply because of this as those files are checked. You must uninstall any modifications before applying a Kindle update.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az060693 View Post
How exactly would I update Kindle firmware for a jailbroken kindle? I'm gonna guess that I can't just simply use stock updates. This is the only thing stopping me from jailbreaking my Kindle 3.
Jailbreaking allows Amazon to update the Kindle firmware "without" having to remove the jailbreak or hacks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is there any downside or risk to jailbreaking?
I mean aside from the "at your own risk" admonishments that accompany all things of this nature?
Does it break any existing feature? Does it impact performance or usability in anyway?

I like the IDEA of jaikbreaking, but I don't really need any of the hacks that jailbreaking allows at the moment. If jailbreaking has any downside, I'll just wait until I just MUST have that screensaver hack, or new font or whatever
But if not, heck, I'd rather just do it now and be ready for whenever I need it!

Thanks,

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
No downside for me, though of course there's always those warnings.... Some jerks like to sue people who try to help out

But there really is no point in installing it if you're not going to use any custom hacks
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #22
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Is there any downside or risk to jailbreaking?
I mean aside from the "at your own risk" admonishments that accompany all things of this nature?
Does it break any existing feature? Does it impact performance or usability in anyway?

I like the IDEA of jaikbreaking, but I don't really need any of the hacks that jailbreaking allows at the moment. If jailbreaking has any downside, I'll just wait until I just MUST have that screensaver hack, or new font or whatever
But if not, heck, I'd rather just do it now and be ready for whenever I need it!

Thanks,

ApK
For the jailbreak itself, I'd say it's pretty safe, because all it does is to install a ssh key file. This key file makes further hacks possible by making the verification of *.bin (for updating) file pass.
kindle3zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
doaby
doaby began at the beginning.

Device: none
;;;;

where is the actual download mate ?
doaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
In the Fonts and Screensaver hack thread - 1st message.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote