Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
milad
milad began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Original cover of prs-505 is genuine leather or not?

i just got 505 .
does anybody know the original cover of 505 is artifical leather(plastic) or genuine leather ?
milad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Pretty sure it is genuine imitation leather. I later bought a real leather one from Sony on closeout. It has the pleasant aroma you would expect of leather.

The original cover is a good imitation though and seems pretty durable.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's empahtically not genuine leather. It's some form of plastic, probably vinyl. It looks decent, but it is so not leather.

Unlike most of what I rant about here on MR, I actually have professional qualifications in this one. I'm not only a leathercrafter and occasional teacher of leathercraft, but I used to manage a Tandy Leather store, back before they folded and Leather Factory bought out the remnants of the company.

And yes, with soft leather, your nose can be your best indicator. The scent of the chemicals of the chrome-tanning process is distinctive, and nothing like plastic.

The stock Sony cover is a nice synthetic. It looks good and feels good. But it's definitely synthetic, not leather. Not that there's anything bad about that, of course. And it's probably better for the environment; there's a reason that restrictions on the location and operation of tanneries were probably the very first pollution control laws ... thousands of years ago. And that was just oak tanning!

If you're looking for a leather cover, check M-Edge. I have one of theirs on my 505 (they've discontinued this model but they tell me the 600 cover will fit it) and it's just wonderful. My only problem with it is a need for a cover cover, because I'm afraid of scuffing up the leather when I just toss it into something to take it somewhere. I've been using the sleeve from my netbook, which is too large; I'm either going to have to find something that actually fits, make something (but not in leather, or I'd need a cover cover cover!), or commission one of our talented forum members to make me a fabric sleeve.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Worldwalker, regarding a cover, cover, you might look into one of the pouches at the link below. They custom make them based on the dimensions you provide and you have a choice of closures and belt loops. I bought one for my 900 really like it.

http://www.thepouch.com/#Palm
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That looks promising, but a bit pricey. Then again, everything looks pricey today. Thanks for the link. A neoprene case would definitely give me the kind of protection I'm looking for. I'll have to find out if they could do a custom case that could be attached to the back of the one I carry my netbook in. Right now, if I want to take them both somewhere, I have to put the 505 back into its standard case. (now if only their website didn't make my eyes bleed...)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by milad View Post
i just got 505 .
does anybody know the original cover of 505 is artifical leather(plastic) or genuine leather ?
As others said, the original cover is not a leather one. They sell leather cover separately.
I am not sure it is worth spending money on a genuine leather, because in a few months you will not notice the difference.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
As others said, the original cover is not a leather one. They sell leather cover separately.
I am not sure it is worth spending money on a genuine leather, because in a few months you will not notice the difference.
The original cover is good quality vinyl (?). After more than two years of rough treatment my cover shows no damage, just slight rounding of the corners. The good thing about vinyl is you can stick stuff on it and write all over it so it looks shabby and not worth stealing.

The inside of the cover shows damage where the plastic clip broke off after one too many drops on the floor. The reader is now held in with two small squares of double sided tape. I actually like the tape solution better - it means the reader doesn't swing around freely on a hinge like it used to.

Last edited by RCR; 05-19-2010 at 06:51 AM.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Actually, the cover is the skin of the endangered 'Nauga.' Mine seems to look as good as the day I got my reader! Naugahyde is wonderful stuff!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote