Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I also try to read Harpercollins books on Scribd as on Overdrive they have 26 I think it borrow limit before the Library has to buy another copy. So sometimes a book on Overdrive is only available for a short time if it's from Harpercollins. In the long run I like to think I am saving the Libraries some money and I don't feel guilty rebuying a older title that maybe only I want to read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysonhere View Post
And Meera, thanks for giving my survey a read, but as question 15 is about ebook subscription services, I did not put eReader as an option since you can't use ebook subscription services on an eReader (eInk).
One of the ebook services you asked about in the previous was the public library service, which I ticked Yes to. I read my public library ebooks on my eink Kobo.

Quote:
14. What digital reading services do you use? (Check all that apply)

Oyster
Scribd
Kindle Owner's Lending Library
Local library
Dedicated reading app
Other Please enter an 'other' value for this selection.

15. On what devices do you use your ebook subscription service to read ebooks? (Check all that apply)

Tablet
Phone
Computer
If you didn't mean for people who chose "library" in Q14 to answer Q15, I suggest changing the flow of your survey.

You've also got some dud grammar early in the survey: "On what devices do you search for ebooks on?", etc.

Last edited by meeera; 06-29-2014 at 12:10 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
alysonhere
alysonhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3rd gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
One of the ebook services you asked about in the previous was the public library service, which I ticked Yes to. I read my public library ebooks on my eink Kobo.

If you didn't mean for people who chose "library" in Q14 to answer Q15, I suggest changing the flow of your survey.
Thanks for the feedback Meera. Q14 addresses "digital reading services" and Q15 address "ebook subscription services," those being Oyster and Scribd. I hope that makes it clearer for you. I will have to give a think about how to make the distinction clear in the survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Scribd runs just fine on eInk devices that run Android, such as the Onyx Boox T68.
Ah man, I had no idea!
alysonhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I do not have any experience with either of these subscription services. However, I have experience with scribd. They were distributing my copyrighted work without permission. It is sad that their business is built upon theft.

In terms of ebook subscription services, I am sure that they will survive in one form or another. Libraries (which usually charge a fee to be a member) are essentially such a service. Magazines such as Analog are also similar, as they have a subscription and send content regularly. As a consumer I consider the price point versus the content that is available. In general, most of these services do not have enough content to justify the cost of the service.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
In terms of ebook subscription services, I am sure that they will survive in one form or another. Libraries (which usually charge a fee to be a member) are essentially such a service. Magazines such as Analog are also similar, as they have a subscription and send content regularly. As a consumer I consider the price point versus the content that is available. In general, most of these services do not have enough content to justify the cost of the service.
Where are you located? Public libraries in the US tend not to charge a fee to residents (some, like the Free Library of Philadelphia, charge a fee to out of state residents but not to local residents). Every city I've lived had libraries with free membership. Everything, including e-books, are free to borrow.

Sorry your book was distributed without your permission. IA that I don't think these subscription services provide enough content and value to make them worthwhile (at least not for me).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, Scribd is well known as a source of pirated books. Their mechanism for ensuring that books are being offered legally is woefully inadequate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Where are you located? Public libraries in the US tend not to charge a fee to residents (some, like the Free Library of Philadelphia, charge a fee to out of state residents but not to local residents). Every city I've lived had libraries with free membership. Everything, including e-books, are free to borrow.

Sorry your book was distributed without your permission. IA that I don't think these subscription services provide enough content and value to make them worthwhile (at least not for me).
Libraries are funded through taxes in the US so you do pay for your use.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Libraries are funded through taxes in the US so you do pay for your use.
But since you pay regardless of use, there is no cost of using the service, and faithbw is correct that there is no fee. (Paying for use through taxes does not equate to being charged a fee by the library.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #24
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But since you pay regardless of use, there is no cost of using the service, and faithbw is correct that there is no fee. (Paying for use through taxes does not equate to being charged a fee by the library.)
You're not charged a fee by the library, but you pay for the library whether you use it or not. So you are charged to not use the library?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You're not charged a fee by the library, but you pay for the library whether you use it or not. So you are charged to not use the library?
Yes, if you don't use it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
I do not have any experience with either of these subscription services. However, I have experience with scribd. They were distributing my copyrighted work without permission. It is sad that their business is built upon theft.

It happens even on Amazon alot. Scribd has two parts the subscription books which are done by publisher and author only but then there is the user documents which Anyone can upload stuff. Unfortunately that does mean people can share stuff that isn't their own. It isn't Scribd doing it, it's the user and they should be reported. Personally I think Scribd should do away with the documents and just stick to offering books by publisher or author.

The only way subscriptions book services will survive is to keep the big publishers on board. Right now you got Harpercollins, Simon & Schuster, Sourcebooks Inc, eKensington (Zebra), Smashwords, Open Road and some other small publishers. The content is pretty endless for one paperback a month. We do know that most people here spend more than that on ebooks at places like Kobo and Kindle store.

Also most Overdrive libraries I know don't stock much non fiction it's mostly fiction but Scribd has alot of non fiction for people who like to read that genre. Also keep in mind Libraries only stock some titles from each publisher while Scribd you have access to most of the publisher's catalog. Some newer titles you have to wait on so those are best to get at Overdrive but if you use Scribd you will never not have something you want to read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM   #27
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
I've subscribed to Entitle's $9.95 monthly for two titles. Not an all-you-can-eat plan, but a great source for current ebook titles for under $5 apiece. So far, my list of "wants" is several hundred long, so they've got a decent selection already.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I recently discovered Scribed and I love it. Very good price for the number of books available.

Nice to see the Netfiix model (which I also love) ported so well to ebooks.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #29
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I use Scribd to try out new authors. I can start as many books as I want and not worry about wasting money, or library loan quotas, if I don't finish the books. Unfortunately it has greatly increased my TBR list.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #30
alysonhere
alysonhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3rd gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
I've subscribed to Entitle's $9.95 monthly for two titles. Not an all-you-can-eat plan, but a great source for current ebook titles for under $5 apiece. So far, my list of "wants" is several hundred long, so they've got a decent selection already.
Entitle does seem like a really great service for people who like their ebooks, but personally, I haven't reached the point where I can justify dishing out cash for owning an ebook. I am too attached to print books and for me there is a stronger sense of ownership in print books. Which is also why I like Oyster and Scribd for reading ebooks, I like that I'm paying for access rather than ownership of ebooks.

And just as a note, if anyone here hasn't participated in the survey, I'd love for you to do so! http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/171018...tion-Service-I
alysonhere is offline   Reply With Quote