Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 (no touch) GUI Localization

Hi all!

I'm glad to present my new Localization hack for Kindle 4. It's intended for who will make other localizations.

New in 4.04 - Now Localization support Keyboard localization via Keyb file during installation. My Russian loc, has demo file Russian.keyb, you can edit it to support for your language.
Also there is available Russian Keyboard Only localization. This is minimal version of localization, it installs Russian language but interface is English except keyboard.

Links to installation scripts:
Russian - http://www.siralex.info/files/update_ru_ru_4.04.zip
Russian Keyboard - http://www.siralex.info/files/update_ru_mini_4.04.zip
Polish - http://db.tt/LlqiN3Bb

Source code for Russian localization available at Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/k3-loc
in branches/k4-loc folder.

This hack will add additional GUI language to Kindle 4.0 (4.0.1). Of course it must be Jailbreaked first.

How to translate:
Translation must be done in same way as K3. You must translate strings files and save to *.translation.
Also there is new images Low_Level_Screens to translate. I've saved Photoshop files to edit it. When you save PNG images, you must convert it to PNG 8-bit Grayscale image. Photoshop save it in Color mode and Kindle not recognize it. I'm use ImageMagick image conversion tool:
>convert reboot.png -colormap Gray reboot.png
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	update_initial.png
Views:	1450
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	79900   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-45947.gif
Views:	1593
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	79901   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42819.gif
Views:	1434
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	79968   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42820.gif
Views:	1183
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	79969   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42821.gif
Views:	1223
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	79970  

Last edited by Sir Alex; 02-13-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Upgraded to 4.04
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
mmatting
mmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
This hack will add additional GUI language to Kindle 4.0 (4.0.1). Of course it must be Jailbreaked first.
Did I miss something - is there really already a jailbreak for the K4? Or is that meant as a preparation for un upcoming jailbreak?

Best
Matthias
mmatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

There is no PUBLIC Jailbreak - for regular users. Developers or Power users can do this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=240
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Ok, so I've created complete polish translation and packed it as update file.

According to log, updater couldn't translate source files :

Quote:

ota_install: I def:update::translate JARs
Translate JAR directory called:
- Source folder file: /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet
- Translation JAR file: translation.jar
- Destination folder: /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet_loc
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at Translator.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.CVM.runMain(CVM.java:551)
Translate JAR directory called:
- Source folder file: /opt/amazon/ebook/lib
- Translation JAR file: translation.jar
- Destination folder: /opt/amazon/ebook/lib_loc
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at Translator.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.CVM.runMain(CVM.java:551)
ota_install: I def:update::copy images
ota_install: I def:update::copy low level screens
ota_install: I def:update::localization config
ota_install: I def:update::init scripts and standalone files
ota_install: I def:update::done
Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong ?
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Sir Alex
Groupie

seaniko7, My K4 hack uses different way to localize JARs. See new sources and new K3Translator.jar
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Ok, I've used your scripts, but there's another issue : install script as well as transjar2framework copies and translates en_GB jars to pl_PL, but after that pl_PL files are not translated.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Seaniko,
transjar2framework is just a support script for testing the translation for Kindle 3.
It has never been tested with Kindle 4 jars.
All those Linux scripts were written by me, Sir Alex uses Windows AFAIK.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Oh, I see. So I need to rewrite those tools for OS X, which I'm using atm.
Thank you

edit :

It worked like a charm, here's package for linux/osx :
http://db.tt/LlqiN3Bb

edit2:

And here's complete polish translation project git :
https://github.com/moriakaice/KindlePL

Last edited by seaniko7; 12-14-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Sir Alex
Groupie

Russian localization almost done! There only OnScreen keyboard not localized. Need more time to support it.

Download link for update bin: http://www.siralex.info/files/update_ru_ru_4.02.zip

Also, it possible to make Language pack installation with many localizations in one
Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Sir Alex
Groupie

When I'm working on localization, I'm found something interesting:
Quote:
device.bricked.message
This device has been remotely disabled.
password.bricked.body.pattern
To receive help resetting your device, please contact Kindle Customer Service at www.kindle.com/support.
IMHO it is mean that Amazon can remotely block Kindle!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
MW1611
MW1611 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Isn't it just remote disabling of registration to Amazon account in case of stolen Kindle?
MW1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Sir Alex
Groupie

It's looking like an Amazon can remotely Brick (you can't use Kindle at all) you Kindle in case of stolen.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I'm trying to do something similar to what you're doing (but I just want to mess with what the messages say in english). I found the blanket.mo file that has all these methods, but whenever I change anything in it, it stops displaying the screens correctly altogether (specifically things like when you plug the kindle into the computer)

How are you editing the file so this doesn't occur?

Last edited by abishur; 12-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Sir Alex
Groupie

@abishur, My hack is for Kindle Non Touch, and there is no balanket.mo
But you can find a lot of translation tools for MO and PO files
Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
rats. I actually did a mo to po conversion and edited it that way, but it still crapped out on me. Maybe I didn't use a very good one :P

Regardless thanks for the tip!
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote