Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Arrow Dawn, A Sci-Fi story on a forsaken planet, by Weston Westmoreland

(Click HERE for full cover image)

D A W N

Weston Westmoreland

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PW8THG

Genre: Science Fiction

Length: 216 pages / 60,000 words

Publishing date: 05/27/2017

Blurb: On a planet forsaken by a pan-stellar Empire in times long forgotten, two young men unearth a metallic capsule. The pod will relay a signal into space and summon an immense octopus-shaped starship. The Empire is back, it's the Dawn of a new Era. Or is it?

Dawn follows a small group of characters who will be drastically changed—those who survive—through war, love, loss, courage, hate, compassion, revenge, and friendship as the years go by, and hope is almost the only thing left...

Hope you find the time to meet my friends

Feedback always welcome

Last edited by Peto; 06-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Since you asked for feedback:

I'd really suggest re-working your cover. The subtitle "Freedom Takes Fight" is almost invisible, particularly where it goes over the image of the planet. I didn't even see that it was there until I looked very closely at the cover.

Also your offer: "Free ebook download until 06/09/2017"

The majority of people on this site are going to read that date as "6th September 2017". I'd write dates in an unambiguous format if I were you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since you asked for feedback:

I'd really suggest re-working your cover. The subtitle "Freedom Takes Fight" is almost invisible, particularly where it goes over the image of the planet. I didn't even see that it was there until I looked very closely at the cover.

Also your offer: "Free ebook download until 06/09/2017"

The majority of people on this site are going to read that date as "6th September 2017". I'd write dates in an unambiguous format if I were you.
Actually, it reads as June 9, 2017.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it reads as June 9, 2017.
Hence my point that it's ambiguous. Americans would read it as 9th June, but most people in the world (and on this site) are not Americans and would not use the somewhat idiosyncratic American date format.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's also available in the UK on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Weston...dp/B072PW8THG/
Old 06-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hence my point that it's ambiguous. Americans would read it as 9th June, but most people in the world (and on this site) are not Americans and would not use the somewhat idiosyncratic American date format.
It is an American date as the price is now $2.99 on the US site.

The best way to write a date would be June 9, 2017.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd have suggested having more than just one short day for it being offered for free myself. I mean you posted about it on the 8th and it was going to stop being free on the 9th and during the work week many people are probably too busy to check in here at Mobileread to see what is new in self promotion. Not to mention that if another self promotion is replied to yours might not be seen if they don't think to click on the subforum. Usually it's a good idea to have a book be free for at least a couple of days I would think as it takes that long for word to get spread around.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien

Hi there, thanks for the feedback

This is not the actual cover, it is a quick re-composition to meet forum requirements (300x600), as I posted the whole cover in too big a size and had the post correctly erased as spam. Chosing between a 300 px high cover or a bigger panoramic version, I went for the latter. The line is also hard to read on the original cover, but I like it that way.

However, there is nothing I can say against your comment. The subtitle does not work properly here. Will fix that and try to add a link to a big cover image, which I understand is allowed.

About the date, I am posting at a US forum, need to use US date system and drop us in words like favour, colour... I do not think it is ambiguous, but I will change it anyway. In fact, the novel is not free anymore, so I will just erase the line. I wanted this thread to last beyond the promo, reason why I did not add it in the title.

I ran the promotion from Monday to Friday. Webs and forums that had to be warned a week or more in advance I informed giving Monday as first day of promo. In places like Mobileread, which requested the news to be posted in the actual promo days, I posted on Wednesday. The problem is that I did a couple of things wrong, my thread was taken down as spam, and it took me a day to figure things out, so it only left you people on Mobileread two days to catch the promo instead of the planned three. This is a one-man-project, I cannot do better than my best

That said, I used to spend a lot of time reading through these forums when I came into this ebook world back in 2008 with my 505. Got a lot of help ,and although I now live in a different ebook forum, I think of this as a place where I felt at home (both JSWolf and HarryT were already here then), [promotional plug deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Peto; 06-10-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien

There. Hope you approve of the changes

Damn. I think I overstepped again. This promoting thing runs along a fine edge. Thanks to the moderator for not taking down the thread again.

Last edited by Peto; 06-10-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
About the date, I am posting at a US forum, need to use US date system and drop us in words like favour, colour... I do not think it is ambiguous, but I will change it anyway.
In all honesty, the overwhelming majority of people outside the US would not have a clue that the date "06/09/2017" could mean anything other than "6th September 2017". Hence the suggestion to write it in a format that leaves no doubt.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
Peto
Legal Alien

It was my belief this was primarily a US populated forum.

I read 06/09/2017 as September the 6th myself. However, I know about the difference, and I guess many people would tell I was talking about June the 9th even if they write it differently. The ambiguity was there, none the less, but the promo is finished, the date is gone, and so is the issue. If somebody saw the date, thought he had time and lost the download, that will be his loss and mine. Nothing I can do about it anymore
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
It was my belief this was primarily a US populated forum.

I read 06/09/2017 as September the 6th myself. However, I know about the difference, and I guess many people would tell I was talking about June the 9th even if they write it differently. The ambiguity was there, none the less, but the promo is finished, the date is gone, and so is the issue. If somebody saw the date, thought he had time and lost the download, that will be his loss and mine. Nothing I can do about it anymore
No, this is not a US-centric forum. For your next promotion, I suggest you write out the month. That shows two things. No ambiguity and it looks more professional.

Oh and secondly on promotional dates, it is best to do three days. Especially if you have a paid ad. The day before the ad to make sure the price gets changed and the day after the ad for those that check their email and promotion sites early in the day or late at night.

HarryT is right about the cover. I am on a tablet and I had to enlarge the cover at Amazon to read the subtitle. So it wasn't the cover here.

If you want my opinion on the cover, it looks cheap and photoshopped.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 06-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Peto
Legal Alien

But you clicked on the image to see what it said, right? That's me trying to be mischievous

I added the subtitle as an afterthought because Amazon recommends it, and because "Dawn" is quite a bleak title--used so many times--and it would give it some strength. However, I named this story in 1996 and I was not going to change it, so the subtitle is there as for aesthetic reasons (I like the line of text there), and as a catcheye

I see maybe it's not working as I planned, but...
Old 06-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
For your next promotion, I suggest you write out the month. That shows two things. No ambiguity and it looks more professional.
True. Will do.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
But you clicked on the image to see what it said, right? That's me trying to be mischievous

I added the subtitle as an afterthought because Amazon recommends it, and because "Dawn" is quite a bleak title--used so many times--and it would give it some strength. However, I named this story in 1996 and I was not going to change it, so the subtitle is there as for aesthetic reasons (I like the line of text there), and as a catcheye

I see maybe it's not working as I planned, but...
Yes, I had to click to read it. You see that as mischievous on your part.
I enlarged it because you posted here at MR. If I had been looking on Amazon, I would not have enlarged but would have been finding the back button so fast, it would have made your head spin.
My first impression looking at that cover was "another person that thinks they can just upload anything and it will sell."

Hold on. I want to be fair about this since you did ask for feedback.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dawn, freedom, love, vengeance, war