Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Intel, Google unveil Android mobile partnership

Intel, Google unveil Android mobile partnership
Reuters

4:08 p.m. CDT, September 13, 2011
Intel and Google launched a development partnership Tuesday, the latest effort by the world's dominant maker of PC microprocessors to break into the booming smartphone market.

The two companies will work together to optimize future versions of Google's Android mobile software for Intel's "Atom" processors, hoping to speed the development and time-to-market of future Intel-powered smartphones.

The move could jump-start Intel's efforts to expand into the market for mobile phones and touchscreen tablet devices at a time when sales of PCs are slowing.

The first Android phones featuring Google chips should be available in the first half of 2012, Intel executives said at the company's annual developer conference in San Francisco Tuesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5839053.story

Could be good for 'business'
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think this is really just a move to save Intel more than Android. The market is shifting fast from PC to mobile devices. With Intel primarily on the PC market it stands to lose everything if they don't adapt.

For Android this is yet another platform they support.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
To me intel won't really make a impact in the mobile market till 2013 when its 3D processors start main stream production. But I am glad google and microsoft are both going to support ARM and X86 processors as this will increase competition. Intel has so far coasted but the increased competition is going to put a boost to moores law.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have some doubts about how competitive Atom would be with mobile chipsets in terms of battery conservation. I like my Atom netbook well enough, but I also have it strapped to a 6 cell battery.

How well can any chipset serve both mobile and less-mobile?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the idea. But, I worry about battery consumption.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I like the idea. But, I worry about battery consumption.
Yep.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The processors with the 3d tech supposedly use 20 times less power than current processors and laptop could last a day so they should be good but mostly I care about competition.
To make an impact in the mobile market and not loose its share of the desktop and laptop market Intel will have to produce better processors every year instead of 2-3 years or it loose market share to ARM. ARM processors have started creeping into servers because of their better efficiency already.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard

I think we are as close as 3-4years to the point where solar cell efficiency, mobile processor efficiency and Eink or LCd power usage will converge to result in solar powered mobile devices with no need for charging.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I think we are as close as 3-4years to the point where solar cell efficiency, mobile processor efficiency and Eink or LCd power usage will converge to result in solar powered mobile devices with no need for charging.
That would be something. I have a solar/light powered calculator that I've used for probably 10 years, still almost good as new.