Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I used SkyDrive for a short while and saw the same issue, btw that was many months before the new d/b backend was implemented.
Before the new backend Dropbox updated metadata.db after every change. I speculated it might be different since the new backend.

But I just checked and Dropbox syncs the metadata.db file immediately after a change. I removed 3 books and went to Dropbox and the metadata.db file had been updated on the site.

I went to calibre cloud and searched and it showed the deleted books. I refresh and reloaded (because I'm impatient and don't know the difference between the two on this app) and 2 minutes later redid my search and the books I deleted from calibre were gone. I did not have to restart calibre.

So I can't replicatre the OPs issue.

I am currently using:

Dropbox 2.6.2
Calibre 1.21
Calibre Cloud App 1.3.0
Dropbox App 2.3.12.10

I still prefer Calibre companion, but calibre cloud has a faster seach.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Since when is warning a user about the incompatibility between Calibre and Gdrive 'Beating UP'?

The OP clearly mentioned GDRIVE in their post.

This is a HELP forum. Help was OFFERED.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DoctorOhh: If anything, I would expect the reverse, i.e. the new backend actually releases the lock on metadata.db more frequently than the old one did.

However, let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that having dropbox syncing your library at the same time as calibre is using it is a very bad idea on windows. On windows *any* file access by any program causes the file to be locked. Therefore, if dropbox is reading or writing to *any* file in the calibre library, calibre will not be able to move/write/delete that file. This can lead to all sorts of failures in calibre -- conversion jobs failing, changing title and author metadata failing, deletes failing, not to mention library corruption.

On windows you should never run two programs that access the same calibre library at the same time. Pause dropbox syncing when you start calibre and resume it after you quit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DoctorOhh: If anything, I would expect the reverse, i.e. the new backend actually releases the lock on metadata.db more frequently than the old one did.
See my post above. Dropbox syncs immediately and I can't replicate the OPs issue.

Quote:
However, let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that having dropbox syncing your library at the same time as calibre is using it is a very bad idea on windows. On windows *any* file access by any program causes the file to be locked. Therefore, if dropbox is reading or writing to *any* file in the calibre library, calibre will not be able to move/write/delete that file. This can lead to all sorts of failures in calibre -- conversion jobs failing, changing title and author metadata failing, deletes failing, not to mention library corruption.

On windows you should never run two programs that access the same calibre library at the same time. Pause dropbox syncing when you start calibre and resume it after you quit.
Good word of warning.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Wait, this is only for Windows??

So linux is perfectly safe to sync at the same time?

(Not that I do, unless it's by accident. I don't like changes being split into 60 different histories in Dropbox Events.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
So linux is perfectly safe to sync at the same time?
No, unless you can guarantee that the syncs are strictly one way. i.e. dropbox never writes to any files in the library being currently used in calibre.

If you cannot make that guarantee, linux is actually worse than windows, since instead of getting a visible error, the files in your library are likely to be silently corrupted.

Bottom line:

Never run two programs that access the same calibre library simultaneously
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
No, unless you can guarantee that the syncs are strictly one way. i.e. dropbox never writes to any files in the library being currently used in calibre.

If you cannot make that guarantee, linux is actually worse than windows, since instead of getting a visible error, the files in your library are likely to be silently corrupted.

Bottom line:

Never run two programs that access the same calibre library simultaneously
Ah, okay. So, I should be all right since I use DB just for backup from one computer. (At least the calibre parts of my DB.) Still not gonna do it, but at least I shouldn't lose data if it happens accidentally.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #23
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I only run one instance of Calibre all the time because I've had sync problems in the past. (I have a Mac not that it's important because as previously stated I run only one version).

BetterRed's solution of switching to a different library releases the metadata.db folder to be synced. It's better than restarting. Thanks.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
BetterRed's solution of switching to a different library releases the metadata.db folder to be synced. It's better than restarting. Thanks.
I'm glad you found a solution.

It is interesting that the problem doesn't exist on my Windows setup. Do you have the newest version of Dropbox?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Not so old thread...

I've been using Calibre with the Library in a synced folder (Box.net, by the way), and I never experienced any corruption.

Maybe it's a Box.net feature, maybe it's just luck... Anyway.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote