Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
he stated a purpose- he wants to know if the device will look in a zipped archive and allow you to read the contents without unzipping. the respectful thing would be to answer the question and if you dont know the answer to try it out if you can.

if you would like a scenario in which this might occur- perhaps there are articles he wishes to download from a website and they are zipped for easier download. being able to read them from the zip would be convenient

it will recognize files as zipped if they are and will identify them in the file view with a zip icon . it will not open them if they have pdfs inside or docx etc. it will open them if they have an FB2 file inside but it looks like only the first one in the archive.

someone else please try a zipped archive containing more than one fb2 file.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
he stated a purpose- he wants to know if the device will look in a zipped archive and allow you to read the contents without unzipping. t.
Excuse me, thats is a wish, not a purpose/reason.
Unzipping is just a few mouseclicks on a PC, so there is no need for that function anyway
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

his purpose was to discover if this device had said capability. if you are downloading material directly to the device that is reason enough. secondly the device already supports reading fb2 format while zipped. knowing if it supports reading other formats from a zip would be helpful to him.

edit- and a correction to my previous post. it will not "open" the zip as if extracting the contents. it will not allow you to view a list of the contents if there are multiple documents within. it will allow you to read the contents of the first fb2 file within just as if that work was unzipped .

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
Dulin's Books
Wizard

it will read the first file in a zip containing an rtf, doc txt or fb2. only the first file as far as i can tell. and not docx although someone else shoudl try it.

if you have some others in mind try attaching the zip to the thread and myself or someone else can try them
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
It should be fairly easy to implement a preview of the contents of zipped files. Unzip is already present in /bin/unzip (and it's working). The file explorer should simply unzip the contents of a zip-file e.g. to a directory in tmp and should show you the contents of that directory. Maybe worth an entry in the wishlist?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
zanzi
zanzi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, it seems that I didn't make it clear enough.

I want to be able to read a document WITHOUT unpacking it beforehand. To copy them "zipped" to the M92's memory and read them with unpack "on the fly".

Same as FBReader does for doc or txt files.

I understand that this may not be possible for pdf's and is really software dependent.

Nevertheless I still seek the answer.

cheers
zanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
zanzi
zanzi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it will read the first file in a zip containing an rtf, doc txt or fb2. only the first file as far as i can tell. and not docx
Thank you for this answer.

Can someone tell me if the /bin/unzip is user friendly?

What I mean is to be able to quickly unpack an archive (no shell commands) to, say, current folder, and start reading the unpacked files?

thanks
zanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

At the moment it's not possible to achieve that in a user-friendly way. What I wanted to say is that all technical requirements are already met.

So what you describe in your last post, still has to be implemented. But it's theoretically unproblematic and could be worth a point in the wishlist!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I know a few options to do that, but they rely upon software components that are missing in the current firmware (e.g. FUSE filesystem, for the developers out there) and require user interface modification, that is difficult because it is not open source. If in the future there will be an OpenBoox firmware for the M92 or another open firmware, it will be really easy to have on-the-fly decompression, but this is a big IF.
Does anybody have a better idea?
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
I just had a support session with Onyx about this very subject. The Onyx Boox e-readers support .zip and .rar file capability but only when it is part of the e-book structure such as an .epub e-book. The Onyx Boox e-readers do not support .zip or .rar as a standalone file storage container.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
I just had a support session with Onyx about this very subject. The Onyx Boox e-readers support .zip and .rar file capability but only when it is part of the e-book structure such as an .epub e-book. The Onyx Boox e-readers do not support .zip or .rar as a standalone file storage container.
It is not completely true.
The software of Onyx Boox M92 and i62 support zip archives. A zipped ebook (ePub or FB2 can be opened without any problem.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Please re-read my prior post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It is not completely true.
The software of Onyx Boox M92 and i62 support zip archives. A zipped ebook (ePub or FB2 can be opened without any problem.
Hi Booxtor, please re-read my post. That is what I said the .zip functionality will work as part of an e-book's structure and I mentioned .epub but not FB2.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #28
tuxor
Addict

As I stated above, it's only Onyx refusing to implement some lines of code to get the Zip support to the GUI. Indeed there is the "unzip" tool on every M92 and it's working perfectly fine with any kind of zip archive. The firmware is only lacking a button or similar to use this tool from the GUI.