Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
huevos
Enthusiast
huevos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Alternative Dictionary's

Has anyone tried loading an different dictionary? I tend to read older books, and would love to find a way to use the Oxford Classical Dictionary.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the Oxford Classical Dictionary available as a Mobi dictionary? It wasn't the last time I looked. It's probably my most-read reference work (I have the printed version), so I'd be very interested to hear if it was. I know it's available on the web (for an annual subscription).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you answer the question please, huevos? I'd very much like to know the answer.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not available for the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How many different dictionaries are available for the Kindle. Will standard MobiPocket dictionaries work on it?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How many different dictionaries are available for the Kindle. Will standard MobiPocket dictionaries work on it?
I do not believe so if they are DRM protected. The modification method that works for standard DRM mobipocket books does not work for dictionaries I am afraid. There is a posted dictionary in the MobileRead uploads. It would be an interesting test to see if it would work on the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's a pity. Not being able to replace the dictionary would be a "show stopper" for me if the Kindle is released in Europe with its American English dictionary.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
You can replace the built-in dictionaries -- any non-drmed Mobi dictionary works. I tried several and decide to stick with the stock one.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
You can replace the built-in dictionaries -- any non-drmed Mobi dictionary works. I tried several and decide to stick with the stock one.
I thought I remembered that this worked. Thanks for confirming it.

Dale
Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
huevos
Enthusiast

@ HarryT--sorry i didnt respond earlier, I was out of town for the weekend. I am not aware of an oxford classics mobipocket dictionary.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
From where can one buy non-DRM Mobi dictionaries? Or are you talking about buying DRM-protected ones and removing the DRM from them?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
huevos
Enthusiast

can someone outline the process for changing the dictionary? home->settings->change->????? any chance a pdf that i have sent to amazon could be used as a dictionary?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
There is a WordNet dictionary in mobipocket format floating around somewhere. No DRM so I presume it could be converted to Kindle...
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do not believe so if they are DRM protected. The modification method that works for standard DRM mobipocket books does not work for dictionaries I am afraid. There is a posted dictionary in the MobileRead uploads. It would be an interesting test to see if it would work on the Kindle.

Dale
Does this apply only to the Kindle? Can the DRM be removed from a generic Mobipocket dictionary? I would like to purchase the Concise Oxford dictionary and don't like DRM on principle. For normal ebooks, I usually buy LIT because they are easy to convert.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Does this apply only to the Kindle? Can the DRM be removed from a generic Mobipocket dictionary? I would like to purchase the Concise Oxford dictionary and don't like DRM on principle. For normal ebooks, I usually buy LIT because they are easy to convert.
The method I talked about did not remove DRM. It allowed Mobipocket DRM to work on a Kindle. I believe Microsoft also sells dictionaries.

Dale