Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #31
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Snuffi, What does Bookeen use that they does not deliver?

Tompe, if I'm correct the drivers that bookeen have as proprietary are compiled as module, not embedded inside the kernel.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I seem to recall that there were some concerns that Bookeen were statically linking to some libraries to which they should have linked dynamically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I wasn't aware if this fact
Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that someone (Tommy?) can fill in the details. I have only a vague memory of it, I'm afraid. If I recall correctly, the issue was that, according to the GPL, if you statically link with a GPL library, then that makes the entire module GPL'd, and you have to supply all its source code, which Bookeen weren't. Or something like that...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #35
Godzil

That's why I hate the GPL
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #36
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Snuffi, What does Bookeen use that they does not deliver?

Tompe, if I'm correct the drivers that bookeen have as proprietary are compiled as module, not embedded inside the kernel.
Sorry for the delay in answering, was busy...

My information comes from the "Developer's corner" forum. Last status was that dottedmag reported:

"As it turned out, Bookeen "forgot" to add eink driver source code (and several other files) to zip file. As this code is compiled into the kernel, not as module, this is a serious violation."

and

"There are lots of changes in kernel beside removed files, and provided source can't be compiled. Jekhor and me are working on finding out what exactly has been omitted (Bookeen did not provide pointers for the toolchain (another problem!), and this makes situation harder)."

It's been a while but I haven't heard anything since so I suppose the situation is still the same...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #37
Godzil

But maybe they does not use the PVI eInk driver and use their own proprietary driver? and for me its look like it is present. There are a FB driver for eInk but it seems to not be compiled by default on the configurations they provide.
And I don't think the code may need to be compiled inside the kernel, the driver can be in the userland.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #38
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that someone (Tommy?) can fill in the details. I have only a vague memory of it, I'm afraid. If I recall correctly, the issue was that, according to the GPL, if you statically link with a GPL library, then that makes the entire module GPL'd, and you have to supply all its source code, which Bookeen weren't. Or something like that...
If you statically link a driver into the kernel it is considered part of the kernel and therefore the GPL covering the kernel extends to the driver and covers that code as well. If you do not want your code covered by the GPL you can dynamically link it so it is not an integral part of the code.

The idea behind handling this that way is that it should be possible for everyone to compile and use GPLed code. If you statically link then it is not possible for someone else to compile the kernel (at least not without major hacking) without the code you held back and therefore you made use of GPLed code for free but gave nothing back in return (as the released code is not useable without your code).

Of course, the option to dynamically link has a couple of drawbacks but there has to be some incentive to share your code with the community... :-)
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #39
Snuffi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
But maybe they does not use the PVI eInk driver and use their own proprietary driver? and for me its look like it is present. There are a FB driver for eInk but it seems to not be compiled by default on the configurations they provide.
And I don't think the code may need to be compiled inside the kernel, the driver can be in the userland.
Sorry, compiling kernels is quite above my head. I know the theory but haven't really done that myself so I can't really see for myself. The information I have about them being in violation of the GPL is a bit dated but I supposed that if something had changed in the meantime that I would have heard about it in the forums here. But if you have first hand experience that everything is there now that's great news!

About the driver: Yes, you are right, it does not have to be in the kernel. That's what dynamically linking is and in that case you don't have to provide your source code as that does not count as a change to the GPLed code. Statically linking, however, is more efficient as your code is directly compiled into the kernel and therefore usually if you are tight on RAM, CPU power, etc. you would rather like to statically link. But unless you plan to release your source code that's a forbidden road :-)
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #40
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
That´s exactly why GPL is considered a "viral" license.
Honestly, as a paying costumer I cannot understand how resources are beeing wasted to avoid such - to the majority of the world - irrelevant problems.
Then again, beeing a geek, I can...
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #41
Snuffi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
That´s exactly why GPL is considered a "viral" license.
Honestly, as a paying costumer I cannot understand how resources are beeing wasted to avoid such - to the majority of the world - irrelevant problems.
Then again, beeing a geek, I can...
It might be boring behind-the-scenes stuff to a customer but it's not irrelevant.

Bookeen basically has two scenarios:
1) If they open source the whole thing someone might get the idea to buy the hardware cheap from a competitor and just use their FW. That might limit their financial possibilities.

2) If they keep their self-developed stuff closed source that might mean that they have to solve some things differently which could mean a whole range of problems: from annoying issues which are hard to fix due to design reasons to limitations of what they can implement altogether (of course there is a solution for everything in theory, but in practice it's "if it's too complicated and time consuming to do then skip it").

The decision for one or the other will always impact the customer in one way or the other...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #42
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
Statically linking, however, is more efficient as your code is directly compiled into the kernel and therefore usually if you are tight on RAM, CPU power, etc. you would rather like to statically link.
The only drawback of using a module vs static is load time (it takes longer to load a module than to initialize a static component). Once a module is loaded there is no performance difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K
The savings from using Linux as the base system often far out weigh the effort to comply with the license. If this is not the case then licensing something like VxWorks would have been a better choice. But even then they would still have to comply with the license and still spend resources ensuring compliance. The only difference would be how the public sees and the ratio of time/money spent on compliance vs licensing vs man power to implement.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #43
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
I hate to interrupt this wonderful discussion, but I'm still interested in the original topic of this thread
Maybe somebody adventurous could try obtaining/extracting the FW from 360 and flashing it to Opus?
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Conclusion last time was the cybook and pocketbook don't use the same process for install. Pooketbook won't see cybook installer and vice versa.
It's not possible to do that. Period.
If you want the poketbook firmware, go buy a pocketbook.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-24-2009 at 09:08 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #45
Godzil

Using drivers as a modules have some interesting effect for embedded devices. They allow the kernel to boot speedier, reduce the size of kernel, allow you to fine tune the memory footprint (by inserting only usefull modules and removing the non useful one) etc...

Even if that sound strange for some, the kernel modularity have some usefullness even on embedded programming (for thoses who are insterested I recommand this website : http://elinux.org/Main_Page )

And for installing the PocketBook firmware on the opus, you have another choice: working for Bookeen or for PocketBook, you may have access to some informations that are not publicly available

Tags
opus, pocketbook 360