Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #676
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Can you get a header on every page telling the book title ...

-Pie
no, but why would I want to. my Alzheimer's is not so bad yet that I forget what book I'm reading whenever I turn a page !

screen space on e-readers is valuable - don't waste it on stuff that's not necessary
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #677
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Sony is a bookseller, their current devices are about as tied to their own store as Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. Your dream might be achieved by... Pocketbook?

eP
In Europe you can't even buy from the Sony store. In the Netherlands the default bookshop in the Sonys is bol.com, but you can buy from any shop that delivers (Adobe) ePub. That means virtually all shops except the iBookstore.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #678
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@EatingPie

Wow, you have been determined!

Although I would like to see current chapter on each page I think adding special text for every paragraph is a step too far for me.

Thanks for sharing, though, and credit for your perseverence
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #679
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
no, but why would I want to. my Alzheimer's is not so bad yet that I forget what book I'm reading whenever I turn a page !

screen space on e-readers is valuable - don't waste it on stuff that's not necessary
I don't know why you would want to, since I'm not you.

As an engineer, I recognize that having a good range of features is very important because everyone has different preferences. With that in mind, I have very little patience for people who advocate less features because it's not something they themselves would use.

Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@EatingPie

Wow, you have been determined!

Although I would like to see current chapter on each page I think adding special text for every paragraph is a step too far for me.

Thanks for sharing, though, and credit for your perseverence
No problem. I have macros that create the title/chapter header and run a quick replace throughout the text. The hardest part is often just getting the original ePUB to pass epubcheck!

I would like Sigil or Calibre to add the ability to do headers, but it's problematic since the way I do it only works on the Sony Readers. And the approved ePUB "header" tag (the right way to do it) is currently ignored in almost every thing I've tried ePUB on.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 10-03-2011 at 07:08 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #680
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Well, yes and no. I'm a bit of a stickler in terms of lock-in.

The two largest book stores are lock-ins, with iTunes being another lock-in (don't know how they rate in book sales). While Adobe DRM is supported on the Nook, that's a one-way deal; can't read a B&N purchase on the Sony.

So the atmosphere is really really clouded when it comes to Device/Store capabilities. We need our devices to become DRM and Format Agnostic across the board. I would dearly love to buy books from Amazon, for example, but I have a Sony Reader. Yes, I could crack DRM, but I hate Calibre's ePub conversion... and let's face it, most people don't know how to deal with DRM; either a device reads the book or it doesn't.

If the Sony Reader had open Android, and you could install the Sony, Kindle and B&N apps on it, it would then be "format agnostic." Not the best way to do it (no DRM and one agreed-upon format is the best), but it would be the first Reader that truly has no lock-in limitation at all.

-Pie
Barnes & Noble is not a very good example of DRM 'lock-in'.

Among currently shipping ereaders that support Adobe DRM, Sony's are virtually the only ones which are not able to read B&N ebooks. I think that's mostly because they've had relatively puny CPUs in the past, and the more recent Adobe RMSDKs (supporting B&N DRM) need a little more power, and they were unwilling to compromise on performance (at least that is the charitable explanation). Let's hope the T1 has updated the SDK to something newer so that Sony customers are no longer 'locked out' of the B&N store, which as you note, is one of the larger ones.

Also, "B&N DRM" happens to be the least inconvenient available, since it requires no Adobe authorization of the reading system (I'm about to get my 3rd Android tablet and have already run out of authorizations twice in two months—I do like to check out reading apps). Why don't other vendors switch? Don't they like their customers?

BTW Nook Touch can be easily semi-rooted, and you can run Kindle for Android on there reasonably well, it seems. Probably Sony for Android also and any number of other reading apps. It's probably the only e-ink device that will ever be able to do this talking dog trick.

That said, I'd gladly trade my Nook Touch for the T1 (assuming it is using a recent Adobe RMSDK).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #681
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Not as good an example, maybe, but I think it's still a good example. They chose more stringent DRM, and in doing so kept Sony Readers off their site. Sony is (probably) the 3rd best-selling Reader brand out there. And B&N's choice of stronger DRM effectively created lock-in by excluding their two biggest competitors in the Reader market.

I said I was a stickler! I want lock-in gone, gone, gone! There is not one good thing about it for end-users.

I also think money!! is the real reason Sony isn't using B&N-level DRM. I have never noticed a book taking longer to turn pages because of DRM, so I'm not sold on the performance argument.

-Pie
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #682
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Among currently shipping ereaders that support Adobe DRM, Sony's are virtually the only ones which are not able to read B&N ebooks.
I thought the new ADE 1.8 made it possible to read B&N books on Sony?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #683
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

surely, if sony store or other epub retailers carry the same e-books at same or similar prices, then there is no need to buy from B&N, so let your wallet do the talking & boycott the B&N ebook store.

and as for "could buy from amazon & strip DRM but hate calibre EPub conversion" - sorry but that's just ill-informed garbage. the epub output looks exactly like tte mobi input , unless you've badly screwed up calibre settings.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #684
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I thought the new ADE 1.8 made it possible to read B&N books on Sony?
That is if Sony updated the version they're using. Last I knew, they were using a pre-nook version.

Quote:

Among currently shipping ereaders that support Adobe DRM, Sony's are virtually the only ones which are not able to read B&N ebooks. I think that's mostly because they've had relatively puny CPUs in the past, and the more recent Adobe RMSDKs (supporting B&N DRM) need a little more power, and they were unwilling to compromise on performance (at least that is the charitable explanation). Let's hope the T1 has updated the SDK to something newer so that Sony customers are no longer 'locked out' of the B&N store, which as you note, is one of the larger ones.
Besides Nook branded readers, what else supports B&N DRM? As far as I know, Kobo also isn't using a new enough version to support nook books.

Last edited by Hellmark; 10-04-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #685
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That is if Sony updated the version they're using. Last I knew, they were using a pre-nook version.

Besides Nook branded readers, what else supports B&N DRM? As far as I know, Kobo also isn't using a new enough version to support nook books.
Kobo Touch definitely does. Kobo Wifi, probably not.

Heck my Entourage Pocket Edge supports it. And just about all the mobile apps on iOS and Android do. ADE Preview 1.8 does.

A pretty good indicator is that if you see hyphenation, it supports B&N DRM. But there was at least one RMSDK before that that did also.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-04-2011 at 07:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #686
cybmole
Wizard

anyone not living in USA is locked out of B&N store anyway, thus the majority of us worldwide citizens don't care what B&N so - we buy from less-stupid retailers.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #687
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Onyx Boox/Beboox Neo and Club support Nook books.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 AM   #688
pietvo
Reader

Quote:
anyone not living in USA is locked out of B&N store anyway, thus the majority of us worldwide citizens don't care what B&N so - we buy from less-stupid retailers.
I had no problem ‘buying’ the free Nook books from South America.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #689
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Ever since realising that BN allows me to download free e-books, I have become much calmer.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #690
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
surely, if sony store or other epub retailers carry the same e-books at same or similar prices, then there is no need to buy from B&N, so let your wallet do the talking & boycott the B&N ebook store.
You miss the point completely.

Lock-in is bad for consumers, completely and totally. It only serves the booksellers and publishers. In general once someone buys a Nook, they buy from B&N. Once they buy a Kindle, they buy from Amazon, and so on. Great for retailers, but book we don't see competition in book pricing (great for publishers).

Quote:
and as for "could buy from amazon & strip DRM but hate calibre EPub conversion" - sorry but that's just ill-informed garbage. the epub output looks exactly like tte mobi input , unless you've badly screwed up calibre settings.
You have obviously never looked at the ePUB generated by Calibre. I don't mean the book but the actual uncompressed ePUB files.

They are a mess in terms of human readability, and this makes editing them a hundred times harder when you want to add a feature Calibre doesn't provide. Also, they generally do not pass epubcheck. There is nothing ill-informed about this. I look at Calibre-generated ePUBs all the time, and they are generally the worse ePUBs I see.

Before you tell someone they're ill-informed, I recommend you take a bit of time and doing some research on your own.

Sheesh.

All this said, most people using Calibre don't care about the internals. They just care about the end results. That's fine. And Calibre developers had to make many decisions based on ePUB limitations, like the need to break up files due to size restrictions. I don't blame the developers for that... though inserting a few more (okay, a lot more) newlines wouldn't hurt... and how about eliminating over-ridden (unused) CSS tags! Even then, I understand a simple ePUB is difficult to generate programatically, and I am not developing Calibre so I am not here to look a gift horse in the mouth. It generates fairly awful ePUB internals, but that is the nature of the beast.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 10-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs