Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a member of LibraryThing?
Yes....I'm an author and its a way to get my books "out there" 3 2.24%
Yes, I like the reviews/recommendations 18 13.43%
Yes, I like the social networking aspect 9 6.72%
Yes, I like the way I can manage my books there 31 23.13%
Yes, I'm interested in what other people are reading 15 11.19%
Yes, I like to post reviews on what I've read there 8 5.97%
No, never heard of the place 69 51.49%
I prefer Goodreads because (please post reason) 25 18.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #46
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Frankly speaking - yes
I wanted to create a list of books I have read and books I am planning to read and it was longer than 200. So LT fell off. Goodreads won.
Now that you mention it, that was the major reason I went to Goodreads in the first place and never signed up with LibraryThing.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #47
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I joined LT because someone recommended it. I can't remember where or who, but it could have been you, DG! I joined when I got my first kindle because I wanted to see my entire library as a single unit - not separated into real books and electronic. What I like most about it is finding out about new books, writing and reading reviews and listening to book geeks.

ETA: So how about you, DG? What made you join LT and GR?

Last edited by krazy4katz; 09-30-2010 at 12:26 AM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #48
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I joined LT because someone recommended it. I can't remember where or who, but it could have been you, DG! I joined when I got my first kindle because I wanted to see my entire library as a single unit - not separated into real books and electronic. What I like most about it is finding out about new books, writing and reading reviews and listening to book geeks.

ETA: So how about you, DG? What made you join LT and GR?
Actually, I just belong to LibraryThing, at the behest of a paper book reader friend who is really involved. I hadn't heard of Goodreads until it was brought up here.

My biggest problem is keeping my account updated....would have made a lousy bookkeeper!

I really appreciate all the replys!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #49
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
I like librarything for finding other things to read. I put my books in there not to track them specifically, but to find other members who read the same things as I do.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #50
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Is it still true that you can export your list from LT but not from GR? I'm just starting to look into these semi-social reading sites. Seems like that would be a big deal if I'm going to spend the effort to input any serious chunk of my past or current reading.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #51
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Is it still true that you can export your list from LT but not from GR? I'm just starting to look into these semi-social reading sites. Seems like that would be a big deal if I'm going to spend the effort to input any serious chunk of my past or current reading.
You can definitely export your books from Goodreads. Export creates a CSV file, which seems to be widely supported for import by other sites and also viewable in Excel etc.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #52
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I prefer goodreads. It was the one I knew first. I haven't seen a reason to change.
I could say the same thing about Librarything. I found it first, a long time ago, before I knew about ebooks or MR. Read a reference somewhere on the Net I suppose. I thought it was a neat idea to keep track of all the books I have read/am reading/want to read. Although I'm not very good at updating it, really

I also sometimes use the discussions and automatic recommendations to find books I might be interested in, though I use this with caution. And I like to write and read reviews.

It's far from perfect, there are many things that annoy me, especially their insistence on tracking physical editions and not simply works. I read about GoodReads on MR and had a look, but it seems they have the same policy about editions versus works. And I will not join a site that uses the word "friend" so much. My definition of a friend predates social networking by quite a few years and is simply incompatible with it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #53
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
You can definitely export your books from Goodreads. Export creates a CSV file, which seems to be widely supported for import by other sites and also viewable in Excel etc.
What else can I use to read CSV file besides Excel?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #54
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What else can I use to read CSV file besides Excel?
A csv file is a text file containing fields separated by semicolons. I would say that any spreadsheet or database management program will probably be able to import it. I haven't tried it but Open Office probably can.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
A csv file is a text file containing fields separated by semicolons. I would say that any spreadsheet or database management program will probably be able to import it. I haven't tried it but Open Office probably can.
Open office works. You may have to set the fields separation method, and you have the ability to control how some fields import (field type. Used when numbers are NOT numbers, but digits that must all be displayed:ISBN )

Semi-colons? Comma Separated Variables (CSV)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #56
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Semi-colons? Comma Separated Variables (CSV)
Really? How strange. All the CSV files I've seen were semi-colon separated, though I haven't seen that many, and most were created by Excel. I suppose both are possible then.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ah well, thanks.
Boring.
I thought it is possible to export it in some sort of way with a graphic interface.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #58
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Really? How strange. All the CSV files I've seen were semi-colon separated, though I haven't seen that many, and most were created by Excel. I suppose both are possible then.
I think you are in France?
It would make sense that files in countries that use comma as a decimal separator would use something else as a field separator. In US/UK (and probably other countries that use period as a decimal separator), CSV files use a comma as a field separator.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #59
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think you are in France?
It would make sense that files in countries that use comma as a decimal separator would use something else as a field separator. In US/UK (and probably other countries that use period as a decimal separator), CSV files use a comma as a field separator.
Ah, yes! I was thinking that using comma as a separator wasn't very practical, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #60
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Chris and I looked at LibraryThing when I was looking for a "new" site to help me keep track of what I'm currently reading. I already have a Goodreads account (and Goodreads is free, no matter how many books you add, I think LibraryThing charges after so many books?) but my Goodreads account is already stuffed with things I've previously read and so wasn't much help with this project to keep up with what I read THIS month.
So I ended up with a Shelfari account - which did work for September, but now I guess I'll have to start adding the tag "October" to what I read this month...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote