Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #166
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I will probably keep my K3-3g until it goes belly up, it is about as perfect for my reading pleasure, despite the crappy way it deals with the library on it.

Have ordered the KFHD for reading, but also to be able to play on the internet. I like the ideal of being able to put it in my back pocket (could, but would not ) and when needed could surf the net when in a hot spot. I do not own a cell phone anymore, and if i did it would be a pay as you go. all I would want with one would to make calls.

The only problem is that KFHd is not in my hands yet!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #167
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I think I will probably purchase the $119 Kindle Paperwhite in December or January. I got my Kindle touch for Christmas last year, and I feel like I should really use it for at least a year before I upgrade.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #168
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
You can pre-order now, they will be on sale on October 1st I think. I tried to pre-order last night, but was informed that my order couldn't be accepted because I live in Australia. Rather upset, I can't figure out why they would refuse sales to Australian customers, I already have a Kindle Touch and had no trouble purchasing it from Amazon. Oh well, I'll just have to get it from elsewhere. (shopereaders.com) but will probably pay a bit more.
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #169
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just ordered the $69 Kindle. So we can once and for all bury the dead horse. I will give my review once it's get here on Thursday. PW will come later around my Birthday which is in November.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #170
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm still waiting for a new DX. I don't think its going to happen though.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #171
Biaurean
Biaurean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
Which of the new devices, if any, have text to speech? That is a major consideration for my purchasing decisions.
Biaurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #172
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaurean View Post
Which of the new devices, if any, have text to speech? That is a major consideration for my purchasing decisions.
None of the new eInk models have audio, so no TTS support on them. From the new Kindle Amazon page, "If you like the text-to-speech feature of previous Kindle models or listened to music with your previous Kindle, please be aware there are no speakers nor is there a plug for headphones."

All of the new Fires have audio and they will support TTS.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #173
jonnickell
jonnickell began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Sony prs650, Kindle 2 & 3, Reb 1100, Nook Color
I've ordered the WiFi paper white. The screen is the important thing. All the uproar about no audio makes no sense to me. In all the Kindles, Sonys, etc. that I have owned I have never seriously used the audio. The computer voices are just annoying and my IPod and Android phone both do a much better job for music/audio books.
jonnickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #174
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnickell View Post
I've ordered the WiFi paper white. The screen is the important thing. All the uproar about no audio makes no sense to me. In all the Kindles, Sonys, etc. that I have owned I have never seriously used the audio. The computer voices are just annoying and my IPod and Android phone both do a much better job for music/audio books.
Some people like to play music on their Kindles while they read.

Me, never have yet used the audio on my K3's. I did try out the audio on my T1 when it was rooted. But if I want to listen to an audio book, I don't want a Kindle attached to me. An mp3 player is better for that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #175
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnickell View Post
I don't have an issue with the lack of audio or the lower 2GB of memory. I've never listened to audio on a Kindle except for a few minutes long ago to discover just how terrible TTS sounds.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #176
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Made the big decision to jump ship and preorder the Kindle Paperwhite Wifi. I have the Sony 950, which is 3G/Wifi + touch + buttons + audio. I have only purchased Sony Readers since Sony came out with the first model, the 500. The 950 is a fantastic reader, but the paperwhite glow screen looks amazing. To me, the most important thing is screen quality. The higher pixel density, fonts, and increased white background looks very nice. Plus, the whispersync sounds like a nice option (Sony does not have anything like that) to be able to read across different platforms with everything synced. I have used the audio in the past for listening to music, but its more cumbersome than its worth. Frankly, its easier to use a phone/MP3 player. Can't wait till its released, tho I'm sad to leave Sony... feel like I'm losing a friend.. lol.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #177
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
Made the big decision to jump ship and preorder the Kindle Paperwhite Wifi. I have the Sony 950, which is 3G/Wifi + touch + buttons + audio. I have only purchased Sony Readers since Sony came out with the first model, the 500. The 950 is a fantastic reader, but the paperwhite glow screen looks amazing. To me, the most important thing is screen quality. The higher pixel density, fonts, and increased white background looks very nice. Plus, the whispersync sounds like a nice option (Sony does not have anything like that) to be able to read across different platforms with everything synced. I have used the audio in the past for listening to music, but its more cumbersome than its worth. Frankly, its easier to use a phone/MP3 player. Can't wait till its released, tho I'm sad to leave Sony... feel like I'm losing a friend.. lol.
I know how you feel. I'm coming from a PRS-505 to the 3G PW. I never used the audio features of my 505 so it not being included in the PW doesn't really bother me. I am going to miss the SD slot but with the 3G, I should always have access to my 5GB of cloud content.

Someone in my family will be getting a shiney new (old) Sony PRS-505 for Christmas. They said they prefer print books but I think I can get them to change their mind.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #178
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle Fire 7 32 Gb and Paperwhite WiFi for me.

I ordered the Kindle Fire 7 32 Gb and Paperwhite WiFi. I couldn't decide between them so just bought both.

Unfortunately, the 32 Gb model will be shipped 30 days after the 16 Gb model.

My old Kindle Fire 8 Gb model will go to my daughter and I'm keeping my Kindle Keybaord WiFi 3rd Generation as a spare for when the others are charging.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #179
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just ordered the $69 Kindle. So we can once and for all bury the dead horse. I will give my review once it's get here on Thursday.
It will be here on Wednesday! Woot! This is perfect! The UPS guy was coming anyway to drop off a mail in box for our DVR to go back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #180
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It will be here on Wednesday! Woot! This is perfect! The UPS guy was coming anyway to drop off a mail in box for our DVR to go back.
Excellent, having a local warehouse helps.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote