Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
godzilla8nj
godzilla8nj began at the beginning.

Device: G1
Headless Calibre Server Setup

I'm looking for advice or a guide to help me set up a headless Calibre server for multiple devices readers (Kindle, iPhone, Android phones, etc.) to access.

I'm using a VPS (VPSville) with choices of Ubuntu Server 8.04 - 9.04.

I've already tried and failed to install Gnome and VNC on the VPS (not sure if that's my own fault or the specialized VPS templates) so I could access Calibre graphically. (Here is the failed attempt. I cannot get past a missing fonts error.)

I'm not brand new to Linux, but I am self-taught with many gaps and this is an ambitious undertaking for me. So any hand-holding would be appreciated.

The deliverable would be a server I can add Project Gutenberg and Creative Commons licensed ebooks to for the public library at which I work so that we may retain our own collection of ebooks. (Currently we subscribe to titles with DRM-restrictive Overdrive.)

Thanks in advance to anyone with recommendations.

Last edited by godzilla8nj; 03-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.
godzilla8nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the server will run just fine ona headless machine.

Install it by following the instructions on the calibre website then run it as

Code:
calibre-server --with-library /path/to/the/calibre/library/to/be/served
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
godzilla8nj

Thank you for the quick response!

Okay, so...

Part I: Follow the installation instructions.
Part II: Run it as you described.
Part II: Bone up on the CLI commands documented here. (I suppose between calibre-server -p, fetch-ebook-meta, and ebook-convert it will do what I'm hoping.)

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla8nj View Post
Thank you for the quick response!

Okay, so...
There are some useful commands in this batch file for pointing to library directory, configuration directory, etc. I realize you're not on Windows, but the CLI options are the same. (I'd credit the author of this batch file, but I've forgotten who did it.)
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (3.2 KB, 1776 views)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
godzilla8nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There are some useful commands in this batch file...
This is a great help. Thanks!
Advert