Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Calibre suddenly not recognizing reader

Hi all, after a real headache trying to get the Reader 600 authorized, (purchaser in UK, so no Sony ebook store, on a Mac, so Adobe recognition problems) I finally managed to authorize the Reader on a PC at work, via the Sony site. Real headache, various probs, but I did it. I even bought a book from Watertsones and loaded it onto the reader. All great, real sense of achievement.

But when I got home and connected to my Mac, I found that the reader is no longer recognized by anything. Most problematic of all, Calibre is no longer seeing it. Since Calibre and Gutenberg/Manybooks were my best friends and authorization an afterthought, it is just horrible to find that now I've finally got the reader authorized by Sony, I've been dropped by Calibre.

Could someone please tell me why, if anyone knows, why authorizing through Sony on a PC should mean my Mac-run Calibre no longer sees the device? And how do I resolve this please? I have 400+ books on Calibre and I can't load any of them. I thought all I had to do was authorize the device on a PC via ADE one time and I'd be good to go on any machine.

Please help,if possible.
Thanks
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is your device being detected as a USB drive and mounted by OS X? CAn you browse its contents via Finder?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kovid, for replying. On my laptop the Reader is not being recognised at all. I carried on checking and saw nothing recognises it at all since I authorised on a PC. no idea why. Set was fine right up until then.

But I have connected the Reader for the first time to my desk top Mac and it was recognised. So I (re)downloaded Calibre and it 'saw' the Reader just fine.

Which means that I have an empty Calibre library on the desk top that does recognise the Reader and one loaded with quite a few books on a machine which won't recognise the Reader on the lap top.

So my next question is, can I transfer the Calibre library from one computer to another?

I appreciate your help, it really is an excellent programme.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Pangolin
Pangolin

Thanks, I searched before asking and saw this, but it mentions pointing the programmme to the location of the files when its opening for the first tilme. But I have already installed and opened it on the 'new' computer.
I'm wondering if I can just copy books and meta data onto an external drive and then drag and drop them into Calibre on the new computer?
Thanks,
A
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just copy the Calibre library across, and then under Preferences point Calibre to the new location (assuming it is not the location that the Calibre installation is already pointing to in which case it should just 'work').

Do not use the Drag-and-Drop method - even if it works OK it would be very slow. In particular you may find that metadata does not transfer well using this method.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Pangolin
Pangolin

Thanks itimpi, so I copy the library onto an external hard disc, connect that to the desk top, open up Calibre on the desk top and then..... 'point Calibre to the new location' sorry, I don't understand what I need to do to do this? Could i ask you to let me know, step by step, sorry to take up your time, what that last point entails? Really sorry to be so slow.

I know how to import a book from where its downloaded, into Calibre, but not very much more.

Thanks very much for the warning not to drag and drop - the meta data is very important to me, I'm a bit pathological on 'organizing' down loads!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
'point Calibre to the new location'
This means to click the Preferences button, and enter the new location for your library at the top of the screen that appears.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Pangolin
Pangolin

Thanks Starson, so I change the 'location' in the desk top version of Calibre, to the external hard disc on which I've copied my library, and then I just hit the 'ok' button bottom left. I'll give this a try over the weekend.
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated, fingers crossed.