Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
fromage23
fromage23 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
About Waterproof Case

I have a Sony E-Reader and I was looking for a waterproof case for it. I happened to come across this video review on youtube which seems interesting.

The case seems to be a simple yet effective solution. I was just wondering if anyone has used this product and can share their experiences.

Thanks!
fromage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I have a case quite similar to this one, but of a different brand. Mine uses velcro instead of the two buttons and has no color to it. Quite sturdy, I have no qualms about taking my reader into a wet or sandy environment, though not scuba diving. Beach, pool, bath, tropical downpour... the reader is well protected. When I use mine in the tropics, I always include a small bag of silica gel desiccant so what ever humidity gets trapped inside the bag is absorbed and doesn't corrode the inner workings of the device. These can be bought quite cheaply in any camera store.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I've got an aquapac case which seems to be quite similar - they do one (number 364) which is a large PDA/smart phone case. I heard about it on here, and several other people here have bought one.

I've had no problems with it and use it in the bath/shower. It's really easy to use. Although I know that some people do use ziplock plastic bags as well.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have a case quite similar to this one, but of a different brand.
What brand is that Stichawl? Or is it a secret?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
What brand is that Stichawl? Or is it a secret?
Sorry, Bilbo, but I guess it IS a secret! All it says on the case is "Waterproof Pouch!"

I bought this one at the airport in Kuala Lumpur, but I've seen them being sold in the travel section of many large department stores. They come in 3-4 sizes, from passport size to what looks like B4 size. (Hard to tell on the large one as it was folded inside the package. About 10"x14"?) I did notice that they were packaged as singles or groups of three different sizes together. Quite cheap too. I think I paid the equivalent of about $5 US dollars for mine. Seems to be very sturdy but then, I really don't stress it. It appears to be electronically welded thick but flexible vinyl. I had one several years ago that I used as a map case velcroed to the top of my tank bag for motorcycle touring. It held up to that sort of use for quite a few years, opening and closing it several times a day to change map views.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
fromage23
fromage23 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try to get one from TrendyDigital since the company is in the U.S., so I can get the case quicker. The small bag of silica is a good idea. I will try to get a small pack when I use the case. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after I get the TrendyDigital case and test it out for a few weeks.
fromage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
+10000000000 for the Aquapaq I was stood at a train station getting soaked, but I was still reading. It actually wish they did a completly form fitting version I could encapsulate it in at all times, I like that nice grippy texture.

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/sony-...64-2316-0.html for the direct US webshop from Aquapaq themselves.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
I ordered the Trendydigital case and it came really quickly (to Canada). I've had it for a couple of days now and I approve of it. The reader without a case wallows around in it a bit. I'm sure it would be a snugger fit with the original case on the reader. It is easy to press the buttons through the plastic but it is a bit difficult to slide the power button over when the screen blanks. Not impossible though. So far, so good - I think it was a good purchase.
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've been using Ziploc bags but I might have to splurge on the Aquapac after looking at their web site. The Reader looks cool in there!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Me too with the ziploc bags, but the dessicant idea has gotten me excited. Summers down here are usually 90%+ humidity. The papers in filing cabinets feels sort of damp. Enveloped in the mailbox unglue themselves. I just never gave any thought to the humidity inside the ziploc bag. Great idea!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
NomadicMom
NomadicMom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Silica Gel is a great desiccant to use for both electronics and papers. You can find them in new products like electronics and leather goods. You can also find them at www.silicagelpackets.com along with several informative articles about Silica Gel and its uses.
NomadicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
How easy/dificult is it to get the Sony Reader in and out of the Aquapac case? I don't want to leave mine in all the time...which is why I've been using Ziploc bags.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #13
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
How easy/dificult is it to get the Sony Reader in and out of the Aquapac case? I don't want to leave mine in all the time...which is why I've been using Ziploc bags.
Very easy - I only use mine occasionally, and I never considered leaving it in there permanently.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I use aquapac myself. I have a pool in the backyard and it make reading in the pool nice and easy.
The only down side with the aquapac (and other "gel" type pocket) is the power slider switch on top is a bit hard to get to once you put in the device.

A good zip lock bag will also do the trick (just won't float).
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Very easy - I only use mine occasionally, and I never considered leaving it in there permanently.
Are these available in high street shops in the UK Ruth?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 500, prs 505, prs 700, sony e-reader, waterproof case