Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
SD Card Files

I got to try a 700 at the sony style store a couple weeks ago, and they let me put my own sd card in it to try some epubs on it (which convinced me to buy).

I put that same card into it yesterday (after I gave the bride the 700) with some additional epubs I've been working on, and the new ones don't work so good - I get "page errors", or the margins are 2" all the way around. Boy, did I look inept. (sympathy, cards, and flowers, please - my delicate male ego took a beating ).

So the question is: there were some files put down on the SD card by the unit I tried before I bought - what are they? Looks like some xml files and database files - could they be messing up the new epubs?

I made all the epubs the same way in Calibre. And I've opened a ticket on it.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post

So the question is: there were some files put down on the SD card by the unit I tried before I bought - what are they? Looks like some xml files and database files - could they be messing up the new epubs?

I made all the epubs the same way in Calibre. And I've opened a ticket on it.

-bjc
Once you insert a sd card, the 700 indexes it and creates files to remember that so next time it needs to update only the changes to the card.

Nothing there should mess your epubs - Calibre is most likely the issue since epub there is experimental. I would do lrf's for fiction at least
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

When I try to read the epub files directly off the card on my pc, I get this traceback in calibre's reader:

Error -3 while decompressing: invalid distance too far back

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 55, in run
File "threading.pyo", line 477, in run
File "calibre\ebooks\epub\iterator.pyo", line 114, in __enter__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 74, in epub2opf
File "calibre\utils\zipfile.pyo", line 1013, in extractall
File "calibre\utils\zipfile.pyo", line 1001, in extract
File "calibre\utils\zipfile.pyo", line 1042, in _extract_member
File "shutil.pyo", line 27, in copyfileobj
File "calibre\utils\zipfile.pyo", line 617, in read
error: Error -3 while decompressing: invalid distance too far back

But only sometimes.

-bjc
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Ok. So.

Is there an SD Card speed rating that is required? Are there better cards than others to use?

I'm finding that the reading of the books on the cards is inconsistent - If I put the book on the card, sometimes it is read ok, and sometimes it isn't. If I replace the books with THE SAME COPIES OF THE FILES, the 2nd take is different than the 1st. Different books are readable.

Sam mixed results when using epubs or lrfs - obviously, the card I'm using is bad. But what would be a good one?

Did I miss something about which cards to use?

-bjc
Old 12-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
Ok. So.

Is there an SD Card speed rating that is required? Are there better cards than others to use?
I don't think so. What type of card is it. What size? You might want to just do a reformat of it... most problems have to do with corruption... and the FAT table may be corrupted.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

512mb lexar. I've reformatted it 3 times and checked for errors 3 times in windows. Comes up clean.

I don't know the speed rating of this card - it's an older one, so I'm guessing it's a bit slow - but the errors I'm getting are starting to suggest that maybe I can't read it fast enough to get an epub parsed.

-bjc
Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Exclamation

I've replaced the card with a fresh one - Sandisk Extreme II SDhd, 4 gigs.

It's better, but I'm still having troubles with SOME epubs.

"Page Error"

I've rebuilt all of them (using calibre 0.4.121) and to my best knowledge, they are consistent in formatting, save procedures, etc. The ALL open just fine in Sony's epub reading software, which, to my best reconnoitre, (sp), is the best 700 simulator.

PLEASE don't tell me I have a bad 700.......how else can I test it? Has anybody else seen this?

-bjc

Last edited by brewt; 12-30-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

AH HA!

Page Error

is an indication that there a piece of the epub in question is larger than 300K. You'd never see that on the computer-based epub readers, because they don't care about the 300k limit.

QED.

-bjc