Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Book database in built-in memory

I wonder: Is there a way to modify the book database for books stored in built-in memory of PRS-505? A SD card has /Sony Reader/database/cache.xml which I can edit by hand, but I couldn't find anything like that for the built-in memory. I would like to switch to using built-in memory only due to its lower power consumption, but I need to be able to create and modify collections without using eBook Library or Calibre.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
media.xml
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

For some strange reason this file doesn't seem to get updated by my reader. The reader will acknowledge that a new book was added, but leaves media.xml untouched.

Edit: Apparently it depends on where the book is added. When I put it into /database/media/books/test/, the Reader was able to locate it and read it, but it did not modify the media.xml file. When I moved the book to /database/media/books/, it first overwrote most of the file (starting at the beginning) with garbage and then added that book to the list.

I am only using the "custom fonts without flashing" hack.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
pepak
Guru

Curiously enough, if I delete the file manually, the Reader creates it again under a different name (media.xml.tmp) with partly garbage (some 200 KB of it) and partly relevant data, including a recostructed "Purchased books" playlist. I am stumped.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
pepak
Guru

I have unplugged and replugged the Reader again. media.xml.tmp now contains only garbage, but the playlist still works.
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
pepak
Guru

Could someone please post a part of their cache.xml which would contain a playlist? I can't find the correct syntax for it :-(
(I need the cache.xml from internal memory, it seems to use somewhat different scheme than cache.xml from SD card)
Thanks.