Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
sloecoach
sloecoach doesn't littersloecoach doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Margins and Indents

My process is: indesign>epub>calibre>kindle

I've noticed what appears to be two quirks with the kindle, and I need it confirmed by someone. The main one is this: let's say I create a document with two paragraphs, the first one having text-indent:1em (and no left margin) and the second having margin-left:1em (and no text indent), the indent and the margin should align, and they do in everything except the Kindle, it even looks correct in Kindle for the PC, but on the Kindle (version 2 and 3) margin comes out double the indent. To have them align on the Kindle, I have to set the margin to be half the value of the indent.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just something I have to design for?

sloe

I am attaching the mobi file (note the values I've noted on the paragraphs were in inches and were converted to em in the epub file)

the second relatively minor (to me) problem is it seems .38 em margin defaults to .75em for some reason.

UPDATE: so i did a quick test with calibre. First I imported my epub and did 'tweak epub' to look inside it. Everything looks fine. Then I converted it to a mobi, deleted the original epub, then converted the mobi back to an epub and tweaked it again, this time, something very similar to the behavior above occured, the margins and indents weren't lining up. So the problem is in Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi indent test 3 - Unknown.mobi (157.4 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by sloecoach; 09-26-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: New Information
sloecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should open a bug report and attach your test case. Forum posts get lost.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
sloecoach
sloecoach doesn't littersloecoach doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
will do. thanks.
sloecoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, margin, mobi, text indent