Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
MaryV
MaryV began at the beginning.

Device: Astak 5" Pocket Pro
Astak eReaders

Hey guys, what is going on with Astak? I look online for their eReaders and I keep getting messages that they are discontinued. I have two of these in our family and think they are great but I now wonder what is happening with this company. I logged on to their website and they don't list any eReaders. Anyone out there who can provide some updates? Thanks
MaryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Unfortunately no-one knows (well those that do aren't talking). They havent had ereaders for sale since IIRC Aug/Sept last year, but apparently are still in the ereader business according to their rep who used to visit on occasion.

So no news for a good while and from all perceptions it looks like game over for the Astak ereaders.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
The rep is no longer responding to anyone. I even sent her a private message about two months ago and still haven't heard back.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There appear to be on-going legal issues underlying this. I'm sure that Astak are just as frustrated about it as we are, but unfortunately they can't discuss such matters in public.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Meh... they could at least respond to post not related to legal problems, or at the very very least just let us know that they are still alive....
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
There's a report on this thread that PocketBookReader.com will start carrying the L-Book V5 at their store. With Astak, that was the 5" PocketPro, still the most ergonomic reader I've had. I wonder if we'll ever hear what's really going on behind the scenes.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
MaryV

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
There's a report on this thread that PocketBookReader.com will start carrying the L-Book V5 at their store. With Astak, that was the 5" PocketPro, still the most ergonomic reader I've had. I wonder if we'll ever hear what's really going on behind the scenes.
Thanks for responding. I agree that the pocket pro is the best. Great size and I love the three ways to move the page forward and back. It is the most ergonomic reader on the market that I have seen. It would be nice to have it in color but not a requirement as I use it only for books. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
MaryV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Unfortunately no-one knows (well those that do aren't talking). They havent had ereaders for sale since IIRC Aug/Sept last year, but apparently are still in the ereader business according to their rep who used to visit on occasion.

So no news for a good while and from all perceptions it looks like game over for the Astak ereaders.
Thanks Solicitous, Polly and Nimblem. I guess we all feel the same about the Astak e reader. Hopefully we will have some good news in the future.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryV View Post
Thanks for responding. I agree that the pocket pro is the best. Great size and I love the three ways to move the page forward and back. It is the most ergonomic reader on the market that I have seen. It would be nice to have it in color but not a requirement as I use it only for books. Thanks again.
Well you could go and have a look at BeBook. They are back in stock of the Mini (same as the Pocket Pro).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryV View Post
Hey guys, what is going on with Astak? I look online for their eReaders and I keep getting messages that they are discontinued. I have two of these in our family and think they are great but I now wonder what is happening with this company. I logged on to their website and they don't list any eReaders. Anyone out there who can provide some updates? Thanks
back in december (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110319) I implied the death of astak readers. The rep seemed upset about that, but then at the end stopped responding (and I forgot about it until now). I mainly did it because the margin was low already and with all the competition it would be impossible to compete. Amazon, B&N, and Sony are trying to make money off the books, no the devices, but Astak couldn't compete in that front...
With so many tablets out now, and cheap LCD readers ( I know it's not the same, but I did enjoy reading a lot at night, with the lights off, with my archos 70, while the wife and baby were sleeping, and I couldn't do that with the pocket pro), and the popular kindle, it's really hard to compete.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
MaryV

Astak eReader

I should not complain about the loss of Astak as my eReader is doing well. I bought one for my mom as well and we love them. The case seems ot have a problem as it is beginning to show small cracks at certain points but it is still the most ergonomical that I have seen. I dont understand why some of the other eReaders don't use some of the features on the pocket pro. Thanks for responding to me and I will look up the other eReaders to recommend to friends.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
nimblem
Addict

So.. is Astak not a member of the Mobile Forums any more?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
None of their employees appear to be active at the present time. There seem to be a few owners who still check the Astak forum, and I still use my wrinkled blue (1st Edition!) PEZ, of course.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Yep, still here too reading up a storm with my Astak PPro. My brother is starting to look at ereaders, and it makes me sad being unable to recommend Astak.

Of course, when he expressed concern about the rising prices of pb books, I was obligated to point out that a (newly published) eBook is no bargain, either. Of course, some day soon, the $10 eBook may finally be cheap by default because paperbacks are $15 at even Walmart. But not yet.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Yep, still here too reading up a storm with my Astak PPro. My brother is starting to look at ereaders, and it makes me sad being unable to recommend Astak.
You could recommend any one of the identical devices sold under other brand names. Eg, the BeBook Mini is exactly the same device as the Pocket Pro, and it's still available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote