butterbescotch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why do Calibre uses RAM too much?

Just wondering.
butterbescotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbescotch View Post
Just wondering.
Too much ...

... is when it needs more than you have available

Calibre is powerful and does a lot of work keeping and converting books.
There is just a lot to Calibre.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Doing what? Converting, fetching news, the GUI with an empty library?

Conversion for instance will use as much RAM as necessary to complete the task in a timely manner. If you see huge spikes we can look into it to see if it's a bug or if there is a way to optimize in that instance.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
butterbescotch
Enthusiast

No. I am doing nothing. I just let it open and it consumes too much.
Have a look:

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No. I am doing nothing. I just let it open and it consumes too much.
No, it is not too much, actually that is quite a bit less memory usage then calibre is currently using on my machine (see attached).

The memory you see being used is normal. On to another topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taskmanager.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	69822  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
butterbescotch
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I guess I may have to rephrase the question.

Why do Calibre uses a large amount of RAM (even if it is not doing any job)?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Why do Calibre uses a large amount of RAM (even if it is not doing any job)?
Overhead. 80 MB for the main GUI isn't bad. 20 MB per worker process calibre keeps ready for any work that needs to be done.

If you want calibre to have less worker processes: Preferences, Miscellaneous and change the number of worker process number.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Try comparing Calibre's memory footprint with some commonly used programs. It's not that huge, if you get down to it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Don't look at any program's used amount of RAM unless your system slow down/hang and you need to discover the problem. Sometimes Firefox uses over 500 MB but my PC still performs smoothly (with calibre and Photoshop running).
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are you doing that keeps yours so low?

Captured right after startup
It (main) climbs all day with use

Last edited by theducks; 08-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What are you doing that keeps yours so low?

Captured right after startup
It (main) climbs all day with use
Here's mine 5 minutes after startup. I watched and calibre.exe does seem to add 4kbs every 3-5 secs.

It's at 87,548 now.

I don't usually worry, since windows will use whatever it can, and adjust as needed. It is interesting that it climbs though, without even opening the window.
It's now at 87,632. Is that a leak?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibretasks.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	69847  
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Mine does not change unless I do something with Calibre.

Why would I have Calibre running if I was not going to use it?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Mine does not change unless I do something with Calibre.

Why would I have Calibre running if I was not going to use it?
You mean there are ever times you're not using it?

Seriously, I usually don't open it unless I need to do something, but then I leave it running until I go to bed, since I use it on and off through the day.

Today, I kept it minimized and watched the numbers just to see what happened.

FTR, after testing it, I thought it might mean I had a problem with Library 1, because it climbed 4 kbs every 3-5 secs, but stopped climbing when I switched to library2.

But it stayed stable even when I switched back to library 1, and after trying a few restarts, it looks like it doesn't matter which library I start on, it climbs 4kbs every few secs, until I switch to another library.

Anyway, that's my data for whomever wants to know. I usually don't look at resources like this, because it'll make ya crazy. I can say for sure that, when things do seem draggy on me, it's usually because of Firefox rather than calibre, even after I've been working it hard.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
FTR, after testing it, I thought it might mean I had a problem with Library 1, because it climbed 4 kbs every 3-5 secs, but stopped climbing when I switched to library2.
I too noticed the 4k climb. I haven't switched libraries but have done a few things and the 4k dance isn't happening any more. My curiosity only gets the better of me if I am having apparent problems. If calibre is uses more memory than Firefox then I start to wonder what is going on.

As long as everything works I could care less how much memory it's using.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I too noticed the 4k climb. I haven't switched libraries but have done a few things and the 4k dance isn't happening any more. My curiosity only gets the better of me if I am having apparent problems. If calibre is uses more memory than Firefox then I start to wonder what is going on.

As long as everything works I could care less how much memory it's using.
Exactly. Windows is better at managing memory than it was before. I just expect it to use all it can, to have everything speedy - no sense having 6gigs ram if you're not gonna use it.

Firefox is the beast, at least if you're using some of the heavy addons or load certain sites. It's worth it, though.