Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Gater
Gater began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch eReader
Converting multiple .jpg/.png into ePub for Manga

'sup guys.

I have read a couple of books now on my brand new and shiny Kobo Touch eReader and I have a couple of manga on my computer that I would like to read on my reader.

They are saved in folders as .jpg`s. How can I convert them into ePub with a cover?

The images then on my reader will be narrowed to the maximum screen size, which makes the text barely readable. Is it perhaps possible to let the images be sized in their original size (or at least bigger than the screen) and let them displayed like that so I have to scroll down to the rest of the image that was not shown?

I hope you understand what I mean.
Gater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Rather than an ePub you do realize that the Touch can read CBR / CBZ files, and these are nothing more than renamed RAR and ZIP files.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Gater

I did not, but I just tried it and it works very well. Thank you.

But as I said before the images are being narrowed to the maximum screen size which makes the text bubbles hard to read. I can rotate the images in the options of the reader though which makes them easy to read.

The only problem with this is that I cannot scroll vertical... which is a big problem as I can only see a third of the image. If I was able to scroll vertical it would be perfect. Can I do this?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry; I don't have much experience with CBR / CBZ. I *DO* believe though that you can scroll in any direction. The advice also seems to be NOT to scroll in to the max but one setting away from max.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Gater

Well, I tried it and I unfortunately cannot scroll in any direction, which really makes me sad.

Does this mean that cbr / cbz is not "my" format? What else can I do? I need two things: The rotate function and scrolling. Any ideas?

"The advice also seems to be NOT to scroll in to the max but one setting away from max."

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say with this.

[Edit:] This is odd. I cannot scroll normally, but if I zoom a little little bit, then I am able to scroll... but it just looks like utter shit, the processor doesn't seem to be capable of more or less fluid scrolling. The screen flashes up and really slowly builds up the image.

Last edited by Gater; 01-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I meant ZOOM in to the max.. NOT SCROLL in to the max!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Would assembling the pictures in a PDF give more / better options (landscape mode etc.)? There are plenty of free tools to put a bunch of images into a single PDF easily...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: kobo touch
hello.
i also scan my own manga to read them on the kobo.
but you'll need some resize and colors (contrast) adjustments to get them easy to read on the kobo.

but i have a good news, i'm developping 2 gui software, one to batch convert folders to cbz (usefull i you have lots of folders) and oneother to optimise the cbz or archive image files for the kobo.
it can also optimise for portrait or landscape, cut the double pages scan in standard or japanese reading way....
at time time my software is finished, it use external software to automatise the whole process (7-zip, imagemagick and irfanview).
it use irfanview batch profile to optimise the picture so i you find my profiles too darck or bright you can change them as simple as editing a text file ^^.

the software are in french only (as i'm french) but i'f you're interested into it i can translate them in englsih and test them on some computer to avoid bugs

im fact calibre can do the cbz > epub manga conversion but it can't do cbz to cbz and can't realy optimise the contrast with my taste.(and cbz can be read in landscape on the kobo and epub not).

if you're interested i could post a translated (and optimised for easy using) version in 48h/72h
satsuki_yatoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Gater

@satsuki_yatoshi: Wow, that sounds incredibly promising. And yes, I too have a lots of folders so it would be really good to have an automated process. I would love to try it out. Thank you very much in advance for your troubles!

@voom: Nope, not really. Because Word resizes the images, making the quality almost unreadable and scrolling in .pdf is very annoying as a preview field is always popping up when moving and the screen flashes all the time.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

ok i've packaged the softwares, just need to test them on 2 or 3 others computers tomorow and if it's ok i'll do a new post with a tutorial and download link ^^
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Gater

Thanks! Very much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
satsuki_yatoshi

new thread started ^^

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...86#post1915186

Last edited by satsuki_yatoshi; 01-08-2012 at 07:32 AM.