Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #61
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
[Edit: Surprise! I just checked Amazon and it turns out Alexie has a new book just out. What a co-incidence!]
Technically, that was what he was on the colbert report to plug.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #62
meraxes
Connoisseur
meraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
The despicable "open source" culture
The culture is despised only by those who think the world owes them a living. The rest see it as an instrument of innovation, not as a hindrance to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
This is why ebooks must have ironclad DRM.
Why not wish for a magic wand and a bucket of fairy dust while you're at it.
meraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #63
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Of course you could say the same thing about the folks who say they would only read ebooks and have to buy the newest gadget that comes along.

(This from someone who owns a Kindle, Sony and iPod Touch. But I regularly buy paperbacks also. )
Except the people who prefer to only buy ebooks often do that for reasons such as not having the room for books and in any case are only complaining that ebooks are not available rather than trying to kill off paper books.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Technically, that was what he was on the colbert report to plug.

Uh, yeah.

I checked it out at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago, but am not going to pay full hardback price. As I said, I think I'll just wait on the ebook or maybe be a really nasty white boy and go to the darknet and steal it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #65
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Well, I for one am not buying it. I previously was interested in some of his works, but now completely turned off. Not liking ebooks is one thing, but hating them to the point that seeing someone using an ebook reader induces rage of the sort that you want to commit physical violence is idiotic.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #66
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Except the people who prefer to only buy ebooks often do that for reasons such as not having the room for books and in any case are only complaining that ebooks are not available rather than trying to kill off paper books.
Except that I see a lot of posts that get just as shrill as Alexie when anyone says anything negative about ebooks.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #67
Crowl
Wizard

In the past I have bought or wishlisted many books after the author made it seem like an interesting subject in an interview, but after his appearance on Colbert I haven't any idea what his book is about as any info on it got drowned out with the ebook rant.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #68
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But if *I* were to use those words, even to close friends, I'd be reviled and castigated.

So if they're so damned offensive, why would those who call them offensive *ever* use them? Why would so much of the music and literature that focuses on their culture use them? It makes me wonder, it does.
There's a difference between insults used by a person of a more privileged category, and one used among peers.

My children are welcome to call each other brats. Their teachers are not welcome to call them brats, no matter how annoyed the teachers are. People in positions of authority or social privilege should not abuse their power by insulting those who cannot react freely without potentially vile consequences.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #69
meraxes
Connoisseur
meraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There's a difference between insults used by a person of a more privileged category, and one used among peers ....
People in positions of authority or social privilege should not abuse their power by insulting those who cannot react freely without potentially vile consequences.
Are you calling whites in America a "more privileged category"? In what way? What "power" do they have over non-whites? Last I heard, the most powerful man in America and the whole world was black. What are the privileges that whites are allowed by law or tradition, compared to non-whites? Apart from the disgraceful "affirmative action" laws, which discriminate against the whites, I'm not aware of any other laws that make a distinction based on the colour of the skin. As for tradition, the whites are not privileged - they are underprivileged because they are now held to a completely different set of standards from everyone else on race or culture issues. People from ethnic minorities such as Alexie are free to slag off the "white culture" on TV, and no-one says a word. Meanwhile, for whites themselves the race issue is a minefield and the best strategy is to just shut up, lest something completely innocent be interpreted as "racial slur" - and then nothing less would suffice than a tumble of embarrassed disclaimers.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #70
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meraxes View Post
Are you calling whites in America a "more privileged category"? In what way? What "power" do they have over non-whites?
Yes.
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Excerpts:
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any other laws that make a distinction based on the colour of the skin.
Laws are not needed to enforce overwhelming social practices; after racially discriminatory laws were banned, sundown towns maintained themselves through unwritten agreements and social pressure.

Quote:
Meanwhile, for whites themselves the race issue is a minefield and the best strategy is to just shut up, lest something completely innocent be interpreted as "racial slur" - and then nothing less would suffice than a tumble of embarrassed disclaimers.
The best strategy would be "shut up" only if racism were gone. Since it's not, the best strategy is to be aware how much racism has shaped society, and fight against the "small" aspects of it that hold the larger bigotries in place.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #71
meraxes
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes.
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Excerpts:
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

Laws are not needed to enforce overwhelming social practices; after racially discriminatory laws were banned, sundown towns maintained themselves through unwritten agreements and social pressure.
Geez, I wonder how poor Mr Obama has made it against such long odds. Can't believe someone actually bothered to write down all this whining. Was that just one man, or a collective bitching session? How about I start my own list just for fun, eh? I'll call it "Black privilege"

1. Laws of my country do not discriminate against me because of my race.

2. I'm not being made to feel guilty because of my race.

3. I don't have to worry that anything I say on subjects even remotely related to race will be twisted to portray me as a racist, and spell the end of my career.

Enough for today - it already outweighs all 50 entires on the "white privilege" list, I think. And the time spent on collecting those 50 entries would have been far better spent teaching everyine, black or white, to take personal responsibility for their lives, and make the best of it, instead of blaming personal failings on the system.

Last edited by meraxes; 12-03-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #72
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Geez, I wonder how poor Mr Obama has made it against such long odds. Can't believe someone actually bothered to write down all this whining. Was that just one man, or a collective bitching session? How about I start my own list just for fun, eh? I'll call it "Black privilege"

1. Laws of my country do not discriminate against me because of my race.

2. I'm not being made to feel guilty because of my race.

3. I don't have to worry that anything I say on subjects even remotely related to race will be twisted to portray me as a racist, and spell the end of my career.

Enough for today - it already outweighs all 50 entires on the "white privilege" list, I think. And the time spent on collecting those 50 entries would have been far better spent teaching everyine, black or white, to take personal responsibility for their lives, and make the best of it, instead of blaming personal failings on the system.
can we have a reality check here? this is addressed to issues within the US. fine, you're a former BBC journalist, but you are neither a white or black male living in the US
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #73
meraxes
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
can we have a reality check here? this is addressed to issues within the US. fine, you're a former BBC journalist, but you are neither a white or black male living in the US
I have lived in Britain though, where things are largely the same, only with a slightly different ethnic mix and Islam playing a greater role. There's nothing unique about a small but vocal interest/pressure group getting away with murder, and milking all the wrongs allegedly being done to them for all their worth. It can be anything really: race, sex, religion, stance on abortion or animal testing, political views, you name it - and on a scale from a huge nation to a small business or a tiny village. But if I am completely misguided in my views about the race issue in America, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to correct me. Perhaps Mr Alexie was after all taken to task for his outrageous remarks, and nobody bothered to tell me?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #74
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And what is so wrong with saying black, asian, indian, chinese, muslim or male author?
Clearly, those terms must be offensive.

Otherwise, why post?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #75
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I have lived in Britain though, where things are largely the same, only with a slightly different ethnic mix and Islam playing a greater role. There's nothing unique about a small but vocal interest/pressure group getting away with murder, and milking all the wrongs allegedly being done to them for all their worth. It can be anything really: race, sex, religion, stance on abortion or animal testing, political views, you name it - and on a scale from a huge nation to a small business or a tiny village. But if I am completely misguided in my views about the race issue in America, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to correct me. Perhaps Mr Alexie was after all taken to task for his outrageous remarks, and nobody bothered to tell me?
no it's not. it is EXTREMELY different. I've traveled extensively in Britain and lived in Germany. I've also dated a black Englishman. it is extremely different.

I've also as an anglo appearing tribal member lived on the reservation, and live off reservation. neither experience is a walk in the park
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote